Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Forum Contributor 2013
    seeker of the knowing of the changes to everything.

Default Re: SOTW Blues recording

If there's another, another round, I'll have a crack
    Jazz without the blues is like BBQ without the sauce - JL

Reference 36 Tenor, Martin Committee II Tenor, Yamaha 62 Tenor, Barone Sop.

You only go around once, and this ain't no rehearsal - Henri Selmer

Wish I had something to record with

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

Hi Pete

I sent you an email and the track.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    I dragged the backing track into Cubase.
    MartinMusicMan (or anyone), did you notice, when you put the backing track in Cubase, did it automatically align with the software metronome (at 75bpm)? When I did, it had a short gap (only fraction of a second) and the snare drum count (so also the entire track) was slightly after the software metronome. I wasn't sure if I should align the backing track with the software or not.

So I did two mixdowns, one with it aligned with the software and one without. I'm not sure which is the correct to use. If you can verify that the backing track is aligned with the Cubase metronome (or not) then I would know which is correct.

Thanks.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

clarnibass, I can't remember specifics about what happened when I put the backing track in Cubase. If it didn't line up with the software beat, I may have had to do something to align it with the metronome. Either that or I turned the metronome off. They'd have to be the same or have the metronome off, otherwise it would drive me crazy trying to play to it. In any event, as long as your recorded track lines up with the backing track, I don't think it matters where it starts. As long as Pete has an empty 4 beat measure at the start of your track, I think he can align the tracks. Or if you have a pick-up note in that first bar, let him know that too.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

In any event, as long as your recorded track lines up with the backing track, I don't think it matters where it starts.
    I think it matters. Since sending only the solo track, there would be a tiny difference in where it is, depending whether the backing track aligns with the software metronome or not.

I thought the point was that Pete can just align the track with his backing track in the software and it should automatically align, as opposed to him listening and trying to align it. Otherwise he might not know where exactly he should put it, since the difference is very small (about 6/100 of a second) so the only difference is that it sounds a bit more or a bit less laid-back, etc. The wrong one doesn't sound wrong, but just a very slightly different feel to it.

I just loaded the backing to Audicity, and it had that fraction of a second before the first beat also. Since others did it with just aligning it to the backing track this way, I guess that tiny gap should be there for alignment.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clarnibass View Post
    In any event, as long as your recorded track lines up with the backing track, I don't think it matters where it starts.
    I think it matters. Since sending only the solo track, there would be a tiny difference in where it is, depending whether the backing track aligns with the software metronome or not.

I thought the point was that Pete can just align the track with his backing track in the software and it should automatically align, as opposed to him listening and trying to align it. Otherwise he might not know where exactly he should put it,
    Correct.

If in doubt, is it possible to mix in just one of the count in drum beats? I would be able to sync to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    If in doubt, is it possible to mix in just one of the count in drum beats? I would be able to sync to that.
    Yes, I will mix in some of the drums counting and re-send it.

Zagreb, Croatia; St. Moritz, Switzerland; touring Europe all the time

Guys sorry to barge in just like that, but sometimes the lag could be caused by different frame rates (fps) in Cubase/Nuendo project, especially if the original tune was synced from the external MTC source. Check the Settings -> Project properties -> Timecode in Cubase.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Buescher Truetone Alto 242xxx - Strathon -JJ HR, Louis Lot Flute 96xx
    Selmer MKVI Tenor 206xxx - Britone - Berg Larsen, Selmer MKVI Soprano 255xxx - Bari

Quote Originally Posted by EmKay View Post
    Guys sorry to barge in just like that, but sometimes the lag could be caused by different frame rates (fps) in Cubase/Nuendo project, especially if the original tune was synced from the external MTC source. Check the Settings -> Project properties -> Timecode in Cubase.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Good point, but there is no MTC or timecode involved as it's all audio recording.

Pete, I sent the new version with drums for alignment so just ignore the previous versions. I'd be interested to know if this new version aligns automatically or if you have to align it with the drums, this way I know if that tiny gap was suppose to be there.

Question Re: SOTW Blues recording

So who's in this one?

clarnibass, cpete?, Swansong?, DanPerezSax?, wisedude? and me...

Mine is in already, clarnibass has his in now.

How are the others going?

No pressure or nothing, I'm just keen to see how this caper turns out... [Impnt]
    Ciao. [ KennyD01 on YouTube ] -->1923 Conn New Wonder Alto Sax #118,108 +Pomarico Crystal M/P -->1947 Conn 444N Big Bore Bb Clarinet #B324663L +Pomarico Diamond Crystal M/P -->1967 Boosey & Hawkes Edgware Bb Clarinet #288,983 +Mitchell Lurie Crystal & Master by Gregory Hollywood M/P

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KennyD View Post
    So who's in this one?

clarnibass, cpete?, Swansong?, DanPerezSax?, wisedude? and me...

Mine is in already, clarnibass has his in now.

How are the others going?

No pressure or nothing, I'm just keen to see how this caper turns out... [Impnt]
    i'm trying to finish up another recording project tonight, so will try my best to git er dun tomorrow!! practiced a few times though. my learning curve is steep but it's getting better!
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by clarnibass View Post
    Pete, I sent the new version with drums for alignment so just ignore the previous versions. I'd be interested to know if this new version aligns automatically or if you have to align it with the drums, this way I know if that tiny gap was suppose to be there.
    Not sure I got it, did you use the right subject line or else it will go into a minefield of SOTW subscribed threads. I'll have a look there a bit later.

This is great. Thanks to Pete and to everyone.

I'd love a go if there's another round at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Not sure I got it, did you use the right subject line or else it will go into a minefield of SOTW subscribed threads. I'll have a look there a bit later.
    The subject I used was: SOTW Blues - clarnibass - correction

Let me know if I need to resend with another subject.

crap, sorry it took so long for me to get on it. mine's in! I'm used to playing bebop so I had to get in the right mindset, and switching to the bari star synthetic reed also helped a bit...

Who's left?
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by swansong View Post
    crap, sorry it took so long for me to get on it. mine's in! ... Who's left?

clarnibass - done, Swansong - done, me - done...

cpete? DanPerezSax? wisedude? You guys still in?...
    Ciao. [ KennyD01 on YouTube ] -->1923 Conn New Wonder Alto Sax #118,108 +Pomarico Crystal M/P -->1947 Conn 444N Big Bore Bb Clarinet #B324663L +Pomarico Diamond Crystal M/P -->1967 Boosey & Hawkes Edgware Bb Clarinet #288,983 +Mitchell Lurie Crystal & Master by Gregory Hollywood M/P

We must be almost there from the contribution side of things...

DanPerexSax is still in the process [Impnt] and wisedude has apparently done his and submitted it - so that just leaves cpete if he was ever/is still in... Not quite sure if cpete is an official contributor on this round with all the 'almost' entrants we had about the place.

KennyD

any updates? stoked to hear the magical combination...

Distinguished SOTW Member Rufusax's Avatar

Question Re: SOTW Blues recording

Pete, I realize it's late in the game, but have you got room for one more ?

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast