Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Re: SOTW Blues recording

Quote Originally Posted by 58tenor View Post
    Well,step up and blow, 'funky! Round 3 maybe.
    I'd be glad to is it going to a round 3. Someone send me the MP3!!!! I'm sure I could blow out a lil something.

Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008 saxmanglen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
    I'd be glad to is it going to a round 3. Someone send me the MP3!!!! I'm sure I could blow out a lil something.
    Now that you've expressed interest in blowing a chorus, Pete will probably PM you the particulars. He deviated from doing the assigned groups and is just mixing 8 or 9 of them together as he gets them.

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

Hey 'funky, I meant it in the fondest of terms, knock us out, man! I agree with Milandro, it's really different than playing with a rythm section or even Aebersolds. Soloing with the headphones supplying the groove is disconcerting at first because you can't really hear yourself normally.

Likely most of the participants would go for an improved second take. I would. But that misses the whole point and would quickly become a burdensome contest with Pete doing all the work.

It would be really fun to expand it a bit,though. Mabe a different key or 2 or a simple jazz tune like Doxy or something.

fballatore, get to work and give it a shot. If an amateur-no,make that a hack- like me can "hang" with these cats you can too!

Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar

You "amateurs" are scary......

So, Round 2 isn't available in mp3 yet? Quicktime was giving me trouble, so I uninstalled it a month ago.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    So, Round 2 isn't available in mp3 yet? Quicktime was giving me trouble, so I uninstalled it a month ago.
    Unfortunately I cannot make a file shareable mp3.

I have it on the site embedded with quicktime as this does not contravene the agreement I have with various copyright owners.

For this reason I ask everyone not to share the file please as I am not 100% copyright owner, the original backing track is owned by a label. They do not mind it being embedded with no download feature.

I've not heard of Quicktime being a problem, it is so widespread now.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2009

It's more of a MediaPlayer / Quicktime battle over the primary decision rights on the computer basically. I have bad experiences with similar programs from concurrent-companies.

And since I have a computer from work, I am not allowed to install anything on this one. Quicktime is thus not an option for me...

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Quicktime works most of the time, for most people, but I have an older computer and prefer not to have too many programs embedded in the browser, or resident in memory.

I thought some sounded a little held back myself, as the other poster suggested. Some of the solo's sounded to me like they were written out, then played. Just doesnt deliver the same effects for me. I can always tell when someone is feeling the music, or playing notes that fit the bar. This wasnt always the case, but often for me.

I used to hate when my high school band director would write out solo's for some of the other students that had a hard time with improvising. Maybe if he would encouraged them to play around with it, or make it there own, the end result would be better. But it would always sound like scale, or random note patterns because they obviously werent feeling it inside.

Im not mentioning any names, so please dont get upset with me for my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Some of the solo's sounded to me like they were written out, then played. [...] Im not mentioning any names, so please dont get upset with me for my opinion
    If you don't mention names, everyone will feel offended (Or maybe just us with bad self-esteem).

I didn't write anything down, but it might be interesting to hear others methods for this recording. My way was to play one chorus, listening, then erasing and starting over until I was reasonably satisfied. All the time playing quietly (and "held back") not to disturb my complaining neighbour...

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Some of the solo's sounded to me like they were written out, then played.
    I couldn't even If I would like to........
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Hey Kerry,

Why don't you transcribe mine out so I can see what I played? I'd like that.

BTW, did I miss seeing your contribution listed in round 1 or 2?

Maybe in round 3?

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

.....it might be interesting to hear others methods for this recording. My way was to play one chorus, listening, then erasing and starting over until I was reasonably satisfied....
    Here is what I did: I took Pete's mp3 for the backing track, copied it into Audacity, and multiplied it so I had a backing track that was 4 choruses long. Then I burned this to a CD so I could play it in the basement (on a stereo), and leave the computers behind. I would play this "4-chorus" backing track and listen to it on headphones, while I played my solos on the sax, and recorded them on a separate recording device. I made an effort to leave a space when going from one chorus to the next, since I knew I was only going to get to submit one chorus to Pete. I kept the recording going, and restarted the CD a bunch of times. This gave me something like 24 choruses to choose from. I can recall that the chorus I submitted to Pete was one of the "middle" choruses from a 4-chorus set.

Like I said before, for the solos that felt the best while I was playing them, each one had something in them I did not like once I listened to the recording. I am still wrestling with the new mpc I bought in July, so several choruses had something ugly in the sound. And listening to the recording of my choruses made me realize how bad my scooping habit is when I get more "into it". So for me there was a lot of bad stuff left on the editing room floor (so to speak). I should probably repeat this process, and learn how to avoid this bad habit when I get more into the moment on jazz solos.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Some of the solo's sounded to me like they were written out, then played.
    Sometimes that's what I strive to do when I'm improvising. A great improvised solo often has all the development, shape, repetition etc. as a composition. It can be the same, just that we have the luxury of taking longer to sit down and write something out.

HarmonizerNJ,

I did something somewhat similar as you. I loaded the track into PowerTracks and recorded four takes. (I never have much time) The first two and thd fourth take had stuff where I tried to get too cute or just stuff that was too far out of synch. The 3rd take is what I ended up sending to Pete.

Forum Contributor

I used to hate when my high school band director would write out solo's for some of the other students that had a hard time with improvising. Maybe if he would encouraged them to play around with it, or make it there own, the end result would be better. But it would always sound like scale, or random note patterns because they obviously werent feeling it inside.
    Could be your high school band director did not write good solos.

Forum Contributor

I didn't write anything down, but it might be interesting to hear others methods for this recording.
    I listened to the backing track to find out which 12-bar blues changes it uses. Then I recorded the chorus in one take after doing one for a sound check. I intentionally understated the solo, which I think is appropriate for a project such as this one. The idea as I see it is to arrive at a collaborative musical result and not wage a cutting contest.

If you don't mention names, everyone will feel offended (Or maybe just us with bad self-esteem).

I didn't write anything down, but it might be interesting to hear others methods for this recording. My way was to play one chorus, listening, then erasing and starting over until I was reasonably satisfied. All the time playing quietly (and "held back") not to disturb my complaining neighbour...
    I imported the backing track into Sonar then copied it 31 times. I would play a set then listen and export clips I liked. I actually used the first 12 bars I recorded. It never got any better than the first shot.

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Forum Contributor 2011

I dragged the backing track into Cubase. Then I looped it, but I snipped off the 1st bar of the 2 bar count-in, leaving 1 bar of count-in so when I looped it, it was a 13-bar blues. I wanted to have an extra bar at the top so I could play a pick-up into the 1st bar of the blues. Then I'd put it on record and do several takes. Like others, when I listened to the playback I heard something I didn't like in every take. Also, my first attempt was with my wireless mic directly into the computer. When I came back to try again later, I used my Zoom H4 as an audio interface into the USB. Then I tried a few more tracks but on playback I could hear that I was sharp throughout the horn. When I recorded another set of tracks, I focused on developing a theme or phrase, to try to say something that followed the backing track rather than fast runs or go all over outside or blow it out.

I've done studio and live recording. This was very different. Doing it all yourself, listening to the backing track in headphones while recording a solo is very hard. It's not the same as doing it in a studio with someone else engineering so you don't have to worry about levels and stuff. I found that it really made me hold back. I couldn't play as loud or with as much expression as I normally would. Also, I was learning to use Cubase and the Zoom. Eventually I ran out of time and selected a track with the fewest problems in it. But now that I know how to do it myself, I want to try again.

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

I put the track in Sonar, listened once, then hit record and did two takes, maybe three if memory serves, that was it.

I collaborate via the net this way all the time, so it's my usual MO. I used my RE20, and listening to the difference compared to the others, wish I had fired up the Rode NT2 instead.

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast