Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Otto Link Millennium Edition Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

Has someone played the new Otto Link Millennium Edition Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece?
    I would like to buy it and I wanted to know some opinion about it.
    Thnx.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Otto Link Millennium Edition Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

Welcome to the forum.

This is a good opportunity to practice using the search function - there's been some previous discussion about these.

Chitownjazz is right, your search will find a lot of discussion on these mouthpieces.

It seems most folks like the Millennium edition Link mouthpiece. There is a lot of variance in quality in most of the modern Links, but the Millennium edition ones are supposed to be finished better and more consistent.

I bought one a few years ago, and the sound is nice. (It delivers the traditional Link sound) The response is good - once you get your "link" chops. It does take a few weeks to develop your embouchure on a Link, if you haven't played one before.

Now, having said that. There are some "issues" with mine.

1.) The altissimo is rather difficult to get. Apparently, others feel the Links do altissimo very well, so I'm not sure what my problem is.

2.) Mine is very "reed picky". Meaning that the only reeds that work well on mine are Rico Jazz Select, and Vandoren. It's like the mouthpiece is too narrow for some makes of reeds. This makes the reed stick out on the sides, and irritates my lip, if I play for a while.

3.) It's brushed nickel, and Looks great on my black nickel sax, but if your teeth slide past the bite-plate, the brushed nickel is WAY rougher than the typical brass or Hard Rubber. So if you take in a lot of mouthpiece (past the bite-plate), your teeth will grind on the metal. Maybe a larger or extended bite-plate will help.

Over-all it's supposed to be a good piece, but for the money I paid, I'm rather disappointed that I'm going to have to sink another $100 just to get it to function properly.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

Forum Contributor 2008 Giganova's Avatar

The Millenium is just a standard Super Tone Master (but not the NY STM) with a different plating. I have one that is pretty good. It's a touch brighter than the NY STMs that I have.
    Tenor: Barone bare brass + Theo Wanne GAIA #7 mouthpiece
    Soprano: Barone tipped-bell + SopranoPlanet "Rue Lapis" mouthpiece

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008

Save your money and buy a NY, add a smidgen of baffle with epoxy. The window is too narrow on the STM, the NY got that part right, but Babbitt forgot to add a little baffle to the NY, would have been close to perfect if they had.

Then again I think it's high time Babbitt scrap the current production and re-release the Florida STMs.

Thanks to all for the answers. chitownjazz you're right, the search function is a good resource. I thought that my English was bad but I see that you have understood to me perfectly (thank heavens!) in addition you have responded to me immediately, thus it is pleasant!
    I think that I will buy the millennium. I will already tell you what so has gone to me.
    Thnx to SaxxMan too for your exhaustive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SaxxMan View Post

I bought one a few years ago, and the sound is nice. (It delivers the traditional Link sound) The response is good - once you get your "link" chops. It does take a few weeks to develop your embouchure on a Link, if you haven't played one before.

Now, having said that. There are some "issues" with mine.

1.) The altissimo is rather difficult to get. Apparently, others feel the Links do altissimo very well, so I'm not sure what my problem is.

Heh, I completely agree about the link chops,

first you go (

then,

Also, in response to your altissimo point, I would agree, at least for me, that links are harder to altissimo on than other metal high baffel pieces. It was harder but I have them down now to the point that I can hit them about 95% consistently, but only F, F#, G, G#, A, and C at the moment. Working on the B and Bb and man are they tough.

I like my millenium it's good mouthpiece. I don't think mines too reed picky. It's a great piece if your altissimo and everything is good because otherwise learning it on that piece can be a challenge. I am currently expieriencing that problem, and I'm now looking to find a mouthpiece that will help me play easier but I'll still always keep the millenium. Hope this helps.

-Birdman
    Last edited by Birdman; 04-04-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    With a little bit of PMA you can accomplish anything

I was not all that impressed personally. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the great either. I've heard some people like them though.

Forum Contributor 2008

There's nothing different about these Millennium pieces other than they are only availble now in 7*. That's limiting your options if you want a smaller tip that might actually work a little better.

It's been my experience that the larger the tip on the stock Babbitts the more likely they're to have a crappy facing.

Forum Contributor

I just bought one (7*) from giganova. It is darker than the STM 7* I bought new about 4 years ago.

I like the Millenium except for the bite plate. The blue bite plate is soft. (Or else there's a cover I'm supposed to peel off. ) It feels like those rubber bite plate protectors. There are already teeth grooves forming in it and it feels like it might shred or otherwise come apart. It also has a bit of a sharp edge on the left side that irritates my upper lip.

I am thinking about removing the bite plate and replacing it with a hard one.

Al --

I think I left a rubber patch on the bite plate, that's why it feels so soft.

Forum Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Giganova View Post
    Al --

I think I left a rubber patch on the bite plate, that's why it feels so soft.
    Is it blue like the bite plate is supposed to be? I don't want to go tearing something off that shouldn't be torn off.

Forum Contributor

I got it. It's transparent and was flush with the piece. Now everything about the piece is okay. Thanks, Stefan.

I have one of these pieces and stock it was pretty good. But a friend of mine bought one and it was totally different. I didn't get a chance to compare them but he did and said that mine was better than his, but this is always subjective. But, like i said it was OK but not great so I sent it to MOJO for adjustment and it plays great. The best thing to do with almost every modern link is to have it refaced.

Chris

Forum Contributor 2008

Chris I recently bought a whole bunch of Stock Links at a shop as they had big inventory and were selling them for $120 each after taxes.

I bought a 5, 5*,6, 6*, 8 and 9 NY STM

And a 5*, 6 STM.

Every one of those passed the pop test and none of them needed a reface. I have metal Links that are refaced and honestly I prefer these stock Links with the wider rails, to my ears they are less touchy with regards to getting a good seal on the reeds.

I've had STM's where even a reface doesn't fix them. I had one that I had Mojo work on and then I sent it to Brian Powell and Brian couldn't figure out after he tweaked it why it sounded so dead. It was a dud. I should have cut my loses while I was ahead. It was a piece I bought over the internet. Bad idea.

Have you guys tried out the more recent metal Links. They actually play pretty darn good. I've tried the Millenniums in the past and I could never find one that had a decent amount of edge. They seem like they didn't have hardly any rollover baffle at all. I think people are into them because they look different.

Forum Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    I think people are into them because they look different.
    I'm usnig mine as one of two main mpcs now, the other being a non-millenium Stm. Their looks don't mean much one way or the other. Who notices what a mouthpiece looks like? Did you ever hear a chick at the bar say, "Oh, look at the cool mouthpiece that tenor player has. I want to meet him."

(By way of explanation to those who might be asking themselves and are too polite to ask me, "How can someone not see that a piece has a rubber patch?" Two reasons: First the patch is thin and transparent. Second, my eyes don't work like they used to, particularly for closeups.)

Forum Contributor 2008

I agree looks don't mean anything to me either, but that's not to say the look of the millennium pieces don't stand out and catch the eye of others.

Obviously the looks matter a little. The millennium cost about $30 more than a regular STM.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Al Stevens View Post
    I'm usnig mine as one of two main mpcs now, the other being a non-millenium Stm. Their looks don't mean much one way or the other. Who notices what a mouthpiece looks like? Did you ever hear a chick at the bar say, "Oh, look at the cool mouthpiece that tenor player has. I want to meet him."

(By way of explanation to those who might be asking themselves and are too polite to ask me, "How can someone not see that a piece has a rubber patch?" Two reasons: First the patch is thin and transparent. Second, my eyes don't work like they used to, particularly for closeups.)
    When I first moved into a new condo years ago I was complaining to a friend that I didn't like the blue border on my dishwasher. They pointed out that it was just a plastic protective sheet that I should have removed. So don't feel bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Stevens View Post
    Did you ever hear a chick at the bar say, "Oh, look at the cool mouthpiece that tenor player has. I want to meet him."
    If you are in the business to impress girls, you should have picked up the guitar or become a lawyer and earn enough money to drive the latest Benz!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast