P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by mikelaroche View Post
    Am I the only person that screamed NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN00000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!! upon opening this thread and seeing the OP. Followed of course by instant relief that it was just an old thread that someone had replied to.
    NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO, you're not the only one!

Thank you my wonderful friend for so very, very kindly and selflessly sharing this awe-inspiring insight to which I can so happily (unhappily?) relate to. And have a beautiful wonderful day, week, year, and I wish you hearts, flowers, and everything sweet and great for all eternity.

Hey, if you have a spare horn or mpc, I could use it but just got robbed and have no money. Maybe you could send it as a gift.

well i know many people in the sax community usually "hate" on the modern sax players... but it's fun to listen to them personally i like dave koz for modern but i also like to listen to charlie parker, paul desmond, cannonball adderly, and others but...as a member of the "younger-generation" i tend to lose interest....so i would recommend dave koz in terms that his songs are more "pop-like" well he plays smooth jazz

If you want something "modern" but not boring, how about Happy Apple

or

Mostly Other People do the Killing

There's plenty more bands out there doing some new and interesting music.

btw, what was the story with the OP on this thread? I must have missed that bit of drama.
    "If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

hi nagukush you need to get your hands on some king curtis cd's this man will inspire you hugely start with an album called instant soul and i assure you wont be disappointed.

SOTW Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by cleger View Post
    btw, what was the story with the OP on this thread? I must have missed that bit of drama.
    Just search out nagakush posts and you'll find out.

I think it highly unlikely that he's on the forum at this point, so none of the present responses will reach him.

Forum Contributor 2013
    seeker of the knowing of the changes to everything.

Jazz without the blues is like BBQ without the sauce - JL

Reference 36 Tenor, Martin Committee II Tenor, Yamaha 62 Tenor, Barone Sop.

You only go around once, and this ain't no rehearsal - Henri Selmer

This might be slightly off topic, as most people seem to be talking about altos, but I've recently started playing soprano after three years of alto. Any suggestions for listening?

Thanks

Forum Contributor 2013

hey,
    my personal recommended listening:
    Paul Desmond, Stan Getz, Maceo Parker, Johnny Hodges, Marc Russo, Lenny Pickett, Gerald Albright, David Sanborn, Brandon Fields, Dave Koz, Candy Dulfer, Alex Han, King Curtis, Kirk Whalum, Kenny G, ... ...
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

Most of those are alto players- Maceo Parker, David Sanborn, Paul Desmond.....
    I haven't heard of some of them though- I'll look them up.

Still looking for sop players..

I get my motivation from youtube players

I also like Bach and Bob Mintzer.

I had "Winelight" as well! Just the two of us, right? I really loved his tone and he played several of the saxes, recorded alto, tenor and soporano. I read somewhere shortly before he passed his wife had given him a bari.
    http://HowToPlaySaxophone.org Saxophone Lessons on Video

There are a lot of really good recommendations here and they should keep you busy for awhile. I am also a beginner sax player and will be checking out some the recommendations that I hadn't heard of before. Currently I am listening to Charles Mingus, John Coltrane,and Miles Davis.

Some not as popular artists that I really like are David Sanborn (Smooth Jazz and Pop) and Dave Koz (Electronic, Funk, Pop, and even a little Smooth Jazz)
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Forum Contributor 2014
    The official SOTW Little Sister
    Nashville, Tennessee (no longer in a band room storage closet)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelaroche View Post
    Am I the only person that screamed NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN00000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!! upon opening this thread and seeing the OP. Followed of course by instant relief that it was just an old thread that someone had replied to.
    Exactly what I just did!
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Hornman View Post
    I'm curious as to what kind of music you are interested in. If jazz is your thing, then here are some recordings that I can suggest:

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue: Miles Davis is a trumpet player but there is some great sax playing on this record, arguably the most influential/famous jazz recording ever made

Charlie Parker-anything, I would look for his 3-disc set from Verve records to get a sampling of his playing. "Bird" is arguably the most influential alto saxophonist in the history of jazz.

Art Blakey-Live at Birdland (both volumes): A killer set by a killer and very influential jazz group, not to mention killer playing by all of the members including Lou Donaldson on alto saxophone

Cannonball Adderley-One of my favorites, he plays alto on Kind of Blue as well as some other Miles recordings and has a number of his own recordings as well, I would recommend Somethin' Else and Things Are Getting Better

Kenny Garrett-A master of the alto saxophone who began recording in the 80's and is still hip on the scene today, I would recommend Songbook and African Exchange Student but I personally like all of his recordings

This list so far is all jazz and only alto saxophonists. If you wanted to hear some tenor playing (jazz) I would recommend checking out John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Lester Young, Dexter Gordon and Wayne Shorter to name a select few. If you are interested in getting into legit ("classical") saxophone playing I don't have a large library of this music but I would look into finding any of the old recordings by Marcel Mule or Sigurd Rascher or else any recordings by Arno Bornkamp, Jamal Rossi or Eugene Rousseau, again to name a select few. Hope this helps, and I hope you are enjoying your adventures with the saxophone so far!

I'm looking for names to listen to but I have to second the suggestion of "Kinda Blue" from Miles Davis. I'm also a trumpet player and this album was my introduction to jazz trumpeting .... The sax playing on this album is truly great. Miles had a gift for finding the brightest young talent .... He discovered John Coltrane.

Also, the one guy I'm really familiar with already is Grover Washington Jr. ...... His "Winelight" album is what inspired me to want to play the sax. It's gorgeous. I've always wanted to sound like him.

Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post
    Most of those are alto players- Maceo Parker, David Sanborn, Paul Desmond.....
    I haven't heard of some of them though- I'll look them up.

Still looking for sop players..

Coltrane is good to listen to for soprano playing .... He managed to get the biggest, fattest sound from a soprano sax.

My least favorite soprano player to listen to, sorry if anyone likes him, is Kenny G.

Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleJimmy View Post
    Coltrane is good to listen to for soprano playing .... He managed to get the biggest, fattest sound from a soprano sax.

My least favorite soprano player to listen to, sorry if anyone likes him, is Kenny G.

Turtle
    Coltrane's playing was legendary IMO on the soprano. I remember reading in one of his biographies that he was in constant pursuit of a mystical 'droning' ethereal sound, and I believe he found that within his own sop playing. It certainly talks to me.

A good example of course;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGck-DRAFyw
    Peace!

Distinguished SOTW Member piwikiwi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob Saxpants View Post
    If you're into modern, big-band jazz, then check out Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Their music is very easy to listen to, and the musicians are great.
    It's quite corny.....
    Selmer Reference 54 tenor, Stan getz legends series 6*, Rico jazz select 3H

Forum Contributor 2013

Eric Marienthal, Dave Koz, Candy Dulfer & Maceo Parker ... ...
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nagukush View Post
    Hi Friend !

I hope all is well !

Thanks for caring so much and for the kind advice and suggestions, regarding the books - I really wish and hope to buy and study from them in future. I cant really afford them right now (as I'm saving for the sax), but I'll sure get them someday... I guess I'll be needing them badly, specially because I'm alone here without a teacher and anybody to guide me... (hey but I have all you wonderful Friends to guide and care for me - I really feel blessed because of all you wonderful people - honestly no butterings intended

Thanks again for the kind words about me and for all the care & affection
    Take lots of Care and Have a Beautiful day !
    Keep smiling always
    Warmest Regards and Love
    Kush
    This is classic Kush.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast