P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor 2008 nagukush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    685

    Default Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Hi Family !

    Just wanted to request for some recommendations on what and to which players should I listen to, as an absolute beginner to the Alto Saxophone. It will be great if you can kindly suggest a few artist's and their songs etc...

    Thanks a lot !
    Have a wonderful day !
    Regards and Care to everybody !
    Kush
    Life is very short, who knows when it might end... give a kiss to someone special...
    Give a warm hug to your family and a broad smile of kindness to everybody you see today...
    For my Friend (this may be the last day), you may never see them or they may never see you again...

  2. #2
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Isle of Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Off the top of my head — Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Jackie McLean, Cannonball Adderley, Lee Konitz, Paul Desmond, Maceo Parker. But don't limit yourself to these guys, or to saxophonists in general. Listen to everything but listen as an alto player.
    Yamaha TS62 - Warburton LA; P. Mauriat 66R - Sakshama FL; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor 2008 nagukush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    685

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    Off the top of my head — Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Jackie McLean, Cannonball Adderley, Lee Konitz, Paul Desmond, Maceo Parker. But don't limit yourself to these guys, or to saxophonists in general. Listen to everything but listen as an alto player.
    Hi there !

    Thanks for caring and for the advice

    Warmest Regards
    Kush
    Life is very short, who knows when it might end... give a kiss to someone special...
    Give a warm hug to your family and a broad smile of kindness to everybody you see today...
    For my Friend (this may be the last day), you may never see them or they may never see you again...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    If you're into modern, big-band jazz, then check out Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Their music is very easy to listen to, and the musicians are great.
    "It's always easier to leave than to be left" -Dave Matthews, on the death of LeRoi Moore
    RIP LeRoi

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    I'm curious as to what kind of music you are interested in. If jazz is your thing, then here are some recordings that I can suggest:

    Miles Davis-Kind of Blue: Miles Davis is a trumpet player but there is some great sax playing on this record, arguably the most influential/famous jazz recording ever made

    Charlie Parker-anything, I would look for his 3-disc set from Verve records to get a sampling of his playing. "Bird" is arguably the most influential alto saxophonist in the history of jazz.

    Art Blakey-Live at Birdland (both volumes): A killer set by a killer and very influential jazz group, not to mention killer playing by all of the members including Lou Donaldson on alto saxophone

    Cannonball Adderley-One of my favorites, he plays alto on Kind of Blue as well as some other Miles recordings and has a number of his own recordings as well, I would recommend Somethin' Else and Things Are Getting Better

    Kenny Garrett-A master of the alto saxophone who began recording in the 80's and is still hip on the scene today, I would recommend Songbook and African Exchange Student but I personally like all of his recordings

    This list so far is all jazz and only alto saxophonists. If you wanted to hear some tenor playing (jazz) I would recommend checking out John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Lester Young, Dexter Gordon and Wayne Shorter to name a select few. If you are interested in getting into legit ("classical") saxophone playing I don't have a large library of this music but I would look into finding any of the old recordings by Marcel Mule or Sigurd Rascher or else any recordings by Arno Bornkamp, Jamal Rossi or Eugene Rousseau, again to name a select few. Hope this helps, and I hope you are enjoying your adventures with the saxophone so far!

  6. #6

    Wink Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    The guy who inspired me for life was Grover Washington, Jr...a boyfriend in jr. high bought me the Winelight album. To date myself a bit here, I taped it over onto a cassette from the LP (smile), and I would take it into the bathroom, drop the lid down on the hopper, sit there with my feet propped up on the bathtub, and play along for hours until one of my family banged on the door and insisted that I give up my "studio!"

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor 2014
    The official SOTW Little Sister
    bluesaxgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee (no longer in a band room storage closet)
    Posts
    5,351

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Going a bit off topic, I just think these are essential, I hope you find it informative since this is all about starting to play the sax: I started on these books and they have proved to excel me in my sax playing. These are must haves: (IMHO )
    Standard of Excellence Book 1 (red):
    I like this book when I'm learning a new instrument because they have common tunes that everyone knows, and you will also know when you are playing a wrong note (for example, I started on sax and tried to pick up clarinet, started to play a common song, it really didn't sound right, and then I realized I was using the sax fingering for B instead of clarinet B.)
    Rubank's Elementary Method (They also have the Intermediate and Advanced method, these are great books and teach not only the notes and rhythms, but tecnique. I never used it for sax, but I am aware there is one, but I use it for clarinet and it's very fast paced.
    When you get to knowing all the fingerings of notes and can play them well, go on to:
    Salviani-Iasilli
    It's some basic sight reading using practical keys...really just a lot of patterns...

    The Universal Method is the best book ever. Basically how I learned to play sax. My lessons teacher MADE me buy this book. I don't regret it.

    When you get there (you can buy it now just for kicks ), get Ferling's 48 Famous Studies. That's a book that you will ALWAYS be working on...

    Wow, I never write a long post like this. You're a nice guy. I don't mind doing it.

    Have fun practicing when you get your sax!
    --BSG
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor 2008 nagukush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    685

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Hi Friends !

    Thanks so much for caring and for the kind replies - I guess I'll print out this thread and start collecting the songs...

    Thanks again friends !
    Have a Wonderful day !
    Kush
    Life is very short, who knows when it might end... give a kiss to someone special...
    Give a warm hug to your family and a broad smile of kindness to everybody you see today...
    For my Friend (this may be the last day), you may never see them or they may never see you again...

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor 2008 nagukush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    685

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesaxgirl View Post
    Going a bit off topic, I just think these are essential, I hope you find it informative since this is all about starting to play the sax: I started on these books and they have proved to excel me in my sax playing. These are must haves: (IMHO )
    Standard of Excellence Book 1 (red):
    I like this book when I'm learning a new instrument because they have common tunes that everyone knows, and you will also know when you are playing a wrong note (for example, I started on sax and tried to pick up clarinet, started to play a common song, it really didn't sound right, and then I realized I was using the sax fingering for B instead of clarinet B.)
    Rubank's Elementary Method (They also have the Intermediate and Advanced method, these are great books and teach not only the notes and rhythms, but tecnique. I never used it for sax, but I am aware there is one, but I use it for clarinet and it's very fast paced.
    When you get to knowing all the fingerings of notes and can play them well, go on to:
    Salviani-Iasilli
    It's some basic sight reading using practical keys...really just a lot of patterns...

    The Universal Method is the best book ever. Basically how I learned to play sax. My lessons teacher MADE me buy this book. I don't regret it.

    When you get there (you can buy it now just for kicks ), get Ferling's 48 Famous Studies. That's a book that you will ALWAYS be working on...

    Wow, I never write a long post like this. You're a nice guy. I don't mind doing it.

    Have fun practicing when you get your sax!
    --BSG
    Hi Friend !

    I hope all is well !

    Thanks for caring so much and for the kind advice and suggestions, regarding the books - I really wish and hope to buy and study from them in future. I cant really afford them right now (as I'm saving for the sax), but I'll sure get them someday... I guess I'll be needing them badly, specially because I'm alone here without a teacher and anybody to guide me... (hey but I have all you wonderful Friends to guide and care for me - I really feel blessed because of all you wonderful people - honestly no butterings intended

    Thanks again for the kind words about me and for all the care & affection
    Take lots of Care and Have a Beautiful day !
    Keep smiling always
    Warmest Regards and Love
    Kush
    Life is very short, who knows when it might end... give a kiss to someone special...
    Give a warm hug to your family and a broad smile of kindness to everybody you see today...
    For my Friend (this may be the last day), you may never see them or they may never see you again...

  10. #10
    Coolie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Essen, Germany
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Hi Kush,

    in addition to the valuable tips above I would like to recommend this video
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4Ckd_KwwM
    Katja Endemann is a German alto player who lives and works/studies in New York. The song in the video is nice and slow and you can concentrate on the tone, which is fine IMO.

    Enjoy!

    Uli

  11. #11
    Forum Contributor 2008 nagukush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    685

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolie View Post
    Hi Kush,

    in addition to the valuable tips above I would like to recommend this video
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4Ckd_KwwM
    Katja Endemann is a German alto player who lives and works/studies in New York. The song in the video is nice and slow and you can concentrate on the tone, which is fine IMO.

    Enjoy!

    Uli
    Hi there Friend !

    I hope all is well !

    Thanks for caring and for the link. I'll have a look and try my best to grasp the Idea. Thanks again so much for the reply

    Have a beautiful day !
    Kush
    Life is very short, who knows when it might end... give a kiss to someone special...
    Give a warm hug to your family and a broad smile of kindness to everybody you see today...
    For my Friend (this may be the last day), you may never see them or they may never see you again...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    Off the top of my head — Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Jackie McLean, Cannonball Adderley, Lee Konitz, Paul Desmond, Maceo Parker. But don't limit yourself to these guys, or to saxophonists in general. Listen to everything but listen as an alto player.
    By all means a great list. I'd like to add one more to it - Phil Woods. If I had to just pick one album of his to recommend, I'd pick "Live at the showboat" (if you can find it get it!).

  13. #13
    Distinguished SOTW Member themacintrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    3,018

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Ornette Coleman

  14. #14

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Stan Getz

  15. #15
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    click's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    YouTube - Louis Armstrong - Struttin' With Some Barbecue:
    http:/YouTube - Duke Ellington Harlem Airshaft:
    http:YouTube - Miles Davis - Stella by Starlight 1958:
    http:YouTube - we speak:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV16K...?v=yl-2R_Pb7dk

  16. #16
    Forum Contributor 2014 mikelaroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chattanooga TN
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Am I the only person that screamed NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN00000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!! upon opening this thread and seeing the OP. Followed of course by instant relief that it was just an old thread that someone had replied to.
    ___________________________________________


    Chattanooga's Big Band and Dance Orchestra - Sweet Georgia Sound

    http://www.sweetgeorgiasound.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mikelaroche
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-...d/126036207703

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Alex Han, Yano Saori, Wayne Shorter, Tineke Postma and Pharoah Sanders are also alright, but my favorites are Kenny Garrett, Cannonball Adderley and Charlie Parker.

  18. #18
    Forum Contributor 2012
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Smithers, British Columbia
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by mikelaroche View Post
    Am I the only person that screamed NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN00000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!! upon opening this thread and seeing the OP. Followed of course by instant relief that it was just an old thread that someone had replied to.
    Me too. Fortunately, I have a very high BS threshold and wasn't conned into giving him anything.

  19. #19
    bournereborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Suburbs of Philly
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob Saxpants View Post
    If you're into modern, big-band jazz, then check out Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Their music is very easy to listen to, and the musicians are great.
    music may be easy to listen to, but its a damn challenge to play it.
    i've played maybe something like 4 of the exact arrangements the Phat Band plays and those parts get pretty crazy....
    Jupiter 547 soprano, V16 S6 | YAS-575AL, V16 A5S | Selmer Mark VII Tenor (258xxx), V16 T7 | Buffet Crampon R13 Greenline | Yamaha YFL-481 | Pearl PFP165

  20. #20
    Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    4,227

    Default Re: Kindly suggest some listening for beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by mikelaroche View Post
    Am I the only person that screamed NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN00000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!! upon opening this thread and seeing the OP. Followed of course by instant relief that it was just an old thread that someone had replied to.
    Same here !
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •