Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke. Bootman's Avatar

Default Re: Selmer-ish tone on The Martin Tenor

The Comm I should feel a little less resistant in the bottom end than the Asristocrat seies I tenor. Send me pics of your Series I tenor, I may be interested in acquiring it!

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bootman View Post
    The Comm I should feel a little less resistant in the bottom end than the Asristocrat seies I tenor. Send me pics of your Series I tenor, I may be interested in acquiring it!
    Come to think of it, that is probably why I preferred the Comm I, so, right again! I have sent pictures to the email address on your web site.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

If a mug like me can get a half decent sound out of a Comm I tenor,then a real sax player ought to sound fantastic on one. I'd maybe swap it if a good "Magna" or "The Martin" came my way, but I'm kinda attached to the old girl.

If you want to hear a very average white guy playing an old pre punk hit on a Comm I tenor,go here:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VhdK5JVNmoc

Comm I tenor. Modern Link (refaced) with a 3.5 plasticover.

BTW: I do not have old balls. That's just the young bloke's idea of a joke.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Budget Explosion's Avatar

I've owned a bunch of Martins (and a few Selmers) and I think the nexus of where a Martin sounds like a Selmer is the early The Martin Alto and the Super Balanced Action Alto. Both are great for that 50's West Coast Jazz alto sound (Art Pepper and Bud Shank). I don't hear as much of a similarity in the other Martin/Selmer models.
    http://combatjazz.bandcamp.com/

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax, Morgan mouthpiece

Forum Contributor 2010 DukeCity's Avatar

So when the guy tells you you're getting a "Selmer-ish tone", does he mean like Michael Brecker? Or Stan Getz? Or Coleman Hawkins? Or Pharoah Sanders? Or Chris Potter? Or Dexter Gordon?

Or was he saying the YOU sound the same when YOU are playing a Martin and a Selmer?

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCity View Post
    So when the guy tells you you're getting a "Selmer-ish tone", does he mean like Michael Brecker? Or Stan Getz? Or Coleman Hawkins? Or Pharoah Sanders? Or Chris Potter? Or Dexter Gordon?

Or was he saying the YOU sound the same when YOU are playing a Martin and a Selmer?
    Probably the latter but I'm not sure. I haven't seen him since then. But my guess would be he was referring to the midrange "Selmer core".

Victor.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCity View Post

finally......

Quote Originally Posted by magical pig View Post
    Probably the latter but I'm not sure. I haven't seen him since then. But my guess would be he was referring to the midrange "Selmer core".

Victor.
    Just take it as a compliment, say thanks, and see if he hires you. That's the important part...

When an audience member comes up and says I sound like Kenny G on soprano, I just try not to wince, smile, say thank you, and assume that they haven't a clue.

(No, I don't sound at ALL like Mr. Gorelick)
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

I think the person knew the name of Selmer saxes and perhaps wanted to sound knoweldgeable! Where they wearing a Beret?

The guy's my sax tech... And, yeah, I took it as a compliment even if I was not sure what he meant exactly.

Victor.

Another thought is why would I want my Martin to sound like a Selmer? I want it to sound like a Martin please!

Seriously though, it is entirely possible to get a rich complex dark centred sound out of a Martin sax.

I was at a Sam Ash recently trying out tenors just for fun, including modern Selmers, and after going through many, the salesman asked me what I play now. I told him a Martin. He looked at me seriously and said, "That's a sweet horn." And his colleague, who was in earshot, said "The Martin is the only horn out there I'd compare to a Mark VI." I was pleasantly surprised I didn't have two guys telling me I needed to drop my old horn and buy one of theirs. I haven't made the Martin/Mark VI comparison myself, but the comment made by magical pig's tech reminded me of this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootman View Post
    Seriously though, it is entirely possible to get a rich complex dark centred sound out of a Martin sax.
    If that's what he meant about my sound I'd be thrilled!!! That's exactly the kind of sound I hear in my head.

Victor.

Indeed, don't drop your Martin, you can buy and play all other makes of saxes out there but when you really need a horn to do the business.............you take your Martin. I do most of my recording and big gigs on my Martin Magna tenor becasue it simply plays sooo good!!

If I could only keep one make/model of A/T/B sax in my collection, it would be my The Martins.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Lots of good opinions here. I haven't played a Mark VI tenor in years, but I remember it being a great sounding horn. I recently purchased a "The Martin Tenor" and I am very pleased with the sound I get out of it. Also, I think the sound you get depends a lot on you and your set up. I once heard a guy get a great sound playing a Conn student model saxophone.

......my tech, ......told me I had quite a Selmer-ish tone on my Martin. What do you think it can possibly mean?
    ...my tech, possibly to be my next employer (fingers crossed), told me I had quite a Selmer-ish tone on my Martin. What do you think it can possibly mean?
    It could mean that you just play it like a Selmer, out of habit. I noticed, listening to recordings of myself on my newly fixed up The Martin Alto, that it sounded very similar to my MK6. A NY alto player friend thought it was one. Thinking about it, I realized that The Martin has many of the same qualities of the MK6 and that I was able to play it almost the same way I had played the Selmer. It was like I had never switched. The Martin has a much broader pallet of tonal colors to explore however, and I'm going to have to set the "Selmer" mind set aside for a while and learn to play ALL of the Martin.

My Martin's serial is exactly 220000 and it has very nice tone with Link 8. May be we should paste there samples of playing!? but I have no Selmer to compare....

Quote Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
    May be we should paste there samples of playing!?
    www.martinmods.com/martinaltonoodles.mp4

This recorded just after restoring the horn. Mouthpiece is a HR Link 5. Mind you , I haven't played in 6 years. There are plenty of recordings of Selmers to listen to. Is this a The Martin Alto or a MK6?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Anytime, I 've ever heard that adjective used (Selmer-ish) I thought it was meant as a bad thing. The only way to really tell is to know what brand the person saying it prefers.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast