Sax on the Web Forum banner

Want to learn more about dolnet!

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Collie 
#1 ·
Well i have been playing my sax for 6 years and never stopped to look at what brand it was. I got it as a hand me down from my neighbor who passed away. On the bell it says "universal Dolnet paris" and the serial is 7426. Apparently they dont make dolnet anymore? Its a tenor sax, and i had it recently repaired. Any value on this?( not that im going to sell it ) Just want to have a new appreciation for it. Thats all :)

#6 ·
I beg to differ Spiderjames, I think this is an earlish model (exactly because of the keys looking different, models prior to the Bel Air and early Bel Air have the LH palm keys oval shaped while the Bel Air proper are rectangular ) the later models (Royal Jazz and M70 are balanced action-like models and this is..... unbalanced).
Very little is known about Dolnets so there's little to say about them

#7 ·
Prior to the Belair they didn't have the diamond brace correct? The M70 that came after the Belair had rounded palm keys. According to the info @ saxpics the Universal was the last of the Dolnets. I don't have enough experience to say for sure. What I am stating is basically what I have read. There was a Universal that is a stencil that I think is older but it has left hand bell keys. I am no expert on Dolnets by any stretch of the imagination.

#10 · (Edited)
indeed they are a bit special...
I got an alto on wich is written Universal Export.
It also has the (I think) old style left hand pinky cluster and the rounded right hand pinkies and rounded palm keys.
My serial is about 10k.
No additional pearl inlay at the keyguards and a rounded low D# keyguard.
Regarding how the octave key is made, it resembles me of newer horns.
Possibly the last Dolnets made....

perhaps we can identify the time when they were made:
A mouthpiece, probabely delivered with the alto (Dolnet is written on it) is signed with "steelite ebonite"
Is this a sign for a special period?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.