Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Goodson Alto Saxophone- Any good?

18K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  kcp 
#1 ·
I'm looking around for a new alto saxophone online and read quite a few reviews about Steve Goodson's alto sax line. (NOT the L.A. Sax or Saxgourmet line on his site). It sounds incredibly good, and at around $2000 is about as high as I afford right now. Is it a good horn? And do you think it was worth what you or someone you know paid for it? :? I could really use your input!

Please DO NOT suggest other saxes I should buy (ex. "You should try looking around for a Selmer Mk VI, blah blah, etc.) Thanks! :)

#3 ·
Ok I won't tell you to buy another horn, but your going to get a bunch of people to tell you not to buy this horn, and a few suggestions on what horn to buy.
I will tell you this, you will spend $2000 on that horn and as soon as you walk out of the store it will be worth around $1000. Or less.

Hak beat me to it but this is one of the dead horse thread topics/topics we don't discuss.

#4 ·
I think you need to try one first before buying, whatever you think you'd like.

And whilst I've never seen a Steve Goodson one in person, but Derek Nash from Jools Holland's big band plays one - he seems really pleased with it and says its so loud he's had to go down half a reed strength. Looks like he uses it for all his big band work now

I agree with GraftonSax that it might not hold its value as well as other better known brands at that price point. I'd be interested to hear how well the extra features are (I'd say experimental really) - altissimo key etc.

#6 ·
I predict that this thread will be closed very quickly.

Have you tried one of these horns? Did you like it? If you did, then it's a good horn.

#9 ·
I heard SOTW's Martinman play one at Prowinds for a minute or so. It sounded fine from where I was standing. My mouthpieces wouldn't fit on the cork. If I remember correctly, the extra features were pretty tough to even press, especially the extra octave key, which was positioned like a Low A key but you were supposed to press the octave key at the same time. Didn't seem like it helped the altissimo anyway. I'm not telling you to buy another horn, but you could get some used horns for 2000 dollars that will burn.

#10 ·
I heard SOTW's Martinman play one at Prowinds for a minute or so. It sounded fine from where I was standing it sounded pretty good. My mouthpieces wouldn't fit on the cork. If I remember correctly, the extra features were pretty tough to even press(especially the extra octave key, which was positioned like a Low A key but you were supposed to press the octave key at the same time). Didn't seem like it helped the altissimo anyway. I'm not telling you to buy another horn, but you could get some used horns for 2000 dollars that will burn.
Similar expirience. The 'improvements' that future sax players wont be able to live without.... seemed to me more of a hindrance than something that really helped me at all

*I'm getting the popcorn and drinks now before the thread gets fun, anyone want some?;)*

#12 ·
I tried a silver alto model for a couple of days. The sound was very "rock & roll". (My inexperience will show here), but it sounded just altogether over the top. I would say try one for yourself, like you say, the price is right if the horn gets you where you live:thumbrig:
happy hunting

#15 ·
The Steve Goodson horns are on sale on ebay. I just bought a gold matte plate alto for $1100.00. I have wanted to try one. These listed before for $2000. I will give an unbiased review on the whole transaction and the horn with all its gizmos. I have been playing yamahas for 16 years on alto. We'll see how this plays out. I figure for $ 1100 I can't go wrong:) This is what i figure all the Tiawain horns are worth and Phil is the only other one at that price point.

#16 ·
This may be a bit off topic but I just bought a Unison "Special" tenor - according to the ad: "Special model, prototype - Features of the Steve Goodson model"

Purchase price: $535

In addition, the horn comes with 2 necks and sports engraving by Jason DuMars - that in itself is worth what I paid! I will also report my findings when I get it.

#17 ·
Ebay transaction went okay. horn will be shipped next week after tech goes thru it.this is a new demo horn in gorgeous gold matte plate. I think they sell them for dealer price to the public after the shows ( NAMM, etc).

#19 ·
Received the horn today ( mine is the Steve Goodson Alto ) exactly a week after i ordered it. Horn arrived in good shape. This was a demo horn from the last show and I received what I believe is dealer price. Had a few finger prints but no scratches or dings. Appears to be Chinese or Japanese writing on box it came in although I am no expert.

Horn is stunning gold plate with matte gold finish and fully engraved from top to bottom.

It did need some regulation, about the same as my two yamahas did.
The horn has adjustment screws for everything including an extra f helper bar adjustment and a bis key adjustment. One key ( middle D) feels a little stiff. if it doesn't loosen up I will see what can be done. I had to adjust the F/F# , the bis and the F and E key a little to remove slight leaks.

This horn has black roo pads and noyek brass resonators, looks cool, don't know how it affects the sound.

Speaking of sound, this horns sounds richer with more overtones and edge in all registers than my yamaha 82Z. My wife who plays flute liked it better than my yammy and made the above observations. When I played into a mirror I thought the same. Very modern sound, definitely not vintage. No hiss on A2, all C#'s in tune. When pushed tone has bite and is full of overtones. Intonation is better than the Yamaha and Altissimo is stronger. This horn can play LOUD and FULL and has instantly extended my useable range on alto. With or without using the altissimo octave key the altissimo is better.There is a difference with it, it is easier and stronger. Horn retains nice core sound even at ppp. Overall my first impression is very good. I have been very skeptical of Asian horns in the past. I have tried two and hated them both.

I will use it in on lead in the big band on Friday and really put it to the test. This may become my main alto, if it does I will be selling my Z . Will check back later.

#20 ·
Yeah - the one I purchased on eBay was a fraud. Bummer! Fortunately, I didn't lose any $$$ but I'm bummed that it wasn't a real deal.

#21 ·
I put a leak light on in the dark and tweaked it a little further, had to adjust two keycups slightly......been blowing it for an hour, I am definitely going to keep this horn. I really like the sound. The D key has freed up considerably.
You can see Steve's ego on this horn. his name is on two places and his initials in two more places. Personally, I would be proud of this horn too.
I have been going back and forth between the regular octave key and the altissimo one. With the regular octave key the altissimo has some dirt in the sound, almost multiphonic (my normal sound up there) With the altissimo octave key the notes are much cleaner and clearer and more powerfull when needed.
Octave overtones are perfectly in tune!! Can't wait to try it next friday in the BB.

#22 ·
For pics of this horn i think ebay still has it listed as sold... item number # 110253267741.

#24 · (Edited)
Saxxsymbol, Thanks much for your review thus far. When I asked my question in an earlier post to share your thoughts, I had already ordered this exact model, with the understanding from the eBay seller that I could return it, he said no problem. I received the sax and took it to my sax teacher (I'm a novice player, so I wanted his opinion as he has been playing a Selmer Paris alto and tenor for many years and teaches at our local college) Anyway he was blown away by this sax and in fact wanted to buy one for himself, but all 5 listed on eBay were sold by the time he tried to purchase one. I asked him if I should keep it or return it as I already had a used Selmer AS300 since I am a beginner player. He asked me what I paid for it (It had a buy it now price of $1100.00 but a best offer also, which I did put in what I thought was a fair offer) My offer was accepted and I told him what I paid, he said it was a keeper and with a few tweeks of which he is going to do it would be a sax he would play anywhere. I was about to buy a Selmer Paris series III and he told me to save my money, he has a Series II and said this sax was equal to it. Again, I'm new at this, I have to trust what others say so after his time with this sax, and much discussion between us, I'm very pleased with my purchase. I would love to have a Selmer Reference 54 Kookabura, but the best price I have found is $3895.00 and that is a bit much for a nOOb player, just ask my wife. ;-) I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for and if I'm going to invest my time in anything I want something that is worth putting my money into. For example, I also play guitar, there are many cheapo guitars out there but I bought an Ovation Adamas, and my electric guitar is a Zion, a hand built guitar by Ken Hoover of Greensboro N.C. Well, enough of the rambling. I sold my used AS300 to a friend, and I'm keeping my SG sax. Please post again after you play this sax some more and thanks for your thoughts.

#25 ·
I paid the buy it now of $ 1100. These sell retail for about 2K. I think if all the Asian horns were price similarly they would sell a lot more. BTW, there was a "Made in Tiawain" sticker on the neck plug, the only place I saw "made in" anywhere. Mystery Solved ????

There are currently 5 black nickel and silver plates up for sale at noteworthy musical on ebay. no more gold plates though.

JBT, I have had three dealings so far with Steve's business, a soprano sax, a thumbrest and now this alto and have had no problems. I have heard some folks have had issues. Have you had any dealings with him ?

I have been in business myself for almost fifteen years in a small town and there are a couple of folks I have had problems with and it was not my fault even though they would have you believe otherwise. I have had customers try to downright defraud me !! now you could believe those few unhappy folks who make a lot of noise or you could believe the tens of thousands of quiet happy folks who have dealt with me and my business.n That is why I am still in business despite what these few unhappy folks might say.

I would never do business with someone who trashes his competition instead of riding on his own merits. I don't like the negativity.

#28 ·
BTW, there was a "Made in Tiawain" sticker on the neck plug, the only place I saw "made in" anywhere. Mystery Solved ????
When mine was delivered it had little pieces of cork stuck under keys and such. and wrapped in a shipping type paper in the case that was offered in the eBay listing. After I carefully removed about 15 little cork pieces, I looked all over for a plate or sticker which might show where it was made, but could not find one anywhere. Being made in Taiwan doesn't bother me a bit. My wife drives a Scion xB, made in Japan by Toyota and I drive a New Beetle Turbo S, made in Mexico, go figure that one.

#26 ·
I had one other dealing with Steve. Before I had bought anything I had called and asked him about his neck enhancers and rifling the neck for my yamaha tenor. He asked what mouthpiece I was using. When I told him a Dukof he said he didn't think It could help. I thought at the time that was an honest answer.

#27 ·
Anyone want to buy my Z ?

#31 ·
I buy cues from china and the only marking is a small sticker on the removeable bumper. on pool tables it is only marked on the box.

On the goodson sax there was a made in taiwain sticker on the neck plug. I think he keeps it secret so you guys will talk about it some more and to try to put mystery to it.

I didn't know anything about Steve until i read about him here. I wandered over to his website and his links and checked out the people he does business with and weighed that against some of the opinions here and made my choice.

You are free to make yours.

#32 ·
I buy cues from china and the only marking is a small sticker on the removeable bumper. on pool tables it is only marked on the box.

On the goodson sax there was a made in taiwain sticker on the neck plug. I think he keeps it secret so you guys will talk about it some more and to try to put mystery to it.

I didn't know anything about Steve until i read about him here. I wandered over to his website and his links and checked out the people he does business with and weighed that against some of the opinions here and made my choice.

You are free to make yours.
That's the beauty of free will. Ultimately, you just have to rely on your own conscience.

#33 ·
Give peace a chance.........

#35 ·
Deal pending on my Z. This Goodson horn will be my main alto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.