Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Steve Goodson Alto Saxophone- Any good?

I'm looking around for a new alto saxophone online and read quite a few reviews about Steve Goodson's alto sax line. (NOT the L.A. Sax or Saxgourmet line on his site). It sounds incredibly good, and at around $2000 is about as high as I afford right now. Is it a good horn? And do you think it was worth what you or someone you know paid for it? I could really use your input!

Please DO NOT suggest other saxes I should buy (ex. "You should try looking around for a Selmer Mk VI, blah blah, etc.) Thanks!
    S - Yani S991, Drake SoS 8, RSJ 3H Filed
    A - Ref. 54, Drake VR Jazz 8, RSJ 4S Filed
    T - '70 Mark VI, Drake NY Jazz 8, RSJ 4S Filed/Gonzalez 4

Default Re: Steve Goodson Alto Saxophone- Any good?

You might want to use the search function on this. Here's a start:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...e+goodson+alto
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Ok I won't tell you to buy another horn, but your going to get a bunch of people to tell you not to buy this horn, and a few suggestions on what horn to buy.
    I will tell you this, you will spend $2000 on that horn and as soon as you walk out of the store it will be worth around $1000. Or less.

Hak beat me to it but this is one of the dead horse thread topics/topics we don't discuss.

F1's resident sax player
    Forum Contributor 2008

I think you need to try one first before buying, whatever you think you'd like.

And whilst I've never seen a Steve Goodson one in person, but Derek Nash from Jools Holland's big band plays one - he seems really pleased with it and says its so loud he's had to go down half a reed strength. Looks like he uses it for all his big band work now

I agree with GraftonSax that it might not hold its value as well as other better known brands at that price point. I'd be interested to hear how well the extra features are (I'd say experimental really) - altissimo key etc.
    Alto = Yamaha YAS-32 with: -Claude Lakey 5*3, Optimum lig; Meyer Metal 6J; Runyon Quantum 6(spoiler);
    Reeds: Java 2½, V16 2½, Rico Jazz Select 2S&M

Tenor = Yamaha YTS475: Claude Lakey 5*3, Java 2½

Projects = S/P 1921 Conn C-Melody; Rosetti Alto

I checked out his tenor at the winter NAMM earlier this year, overall, I thought it was a nice horn. Would I buy one? Nope, I thought the Cannonballs played and sounded better.
    More stuff than I need, less than I want.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I predict that this thread will be closed very quickly.

Have you tried one of these horns? Did you like it? If you did, then it's a good horn.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-675, Selmer Concept, Winslow Lig,Hemke 3.5
    Keilwerth Buffet Expression Alto, Selmer Concept,Winslow Lig, Hemke 3.5
    Keilwerth SX90 tenor, customized S80 C*, Winslow lig, Hemke 3.5
    Wildcard saxophone: Buffet S1 tenor

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max View Post
    I predict that this thread will be closed very quickly.
    Don't see why as long as us SOTWers stay on topic...

I tried the alto and thought they were okay. Still preferred Yamaha though...

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by CountSpatula View Post
    Don't see why as long as us SOTWers stay on topic...

I tried the alto and thought they were okay. Still preferred Yamaha though...

It won't stay on topic. I tried one of the baris and two of the altos, and they seemed to be very good horns. I'd say that they are similar in quality to the Taiwan horns (Mauriats).
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-675, Selmer Concept, Winslow Lig,Hemke 3.5
    Keilwerth Buffet Expression Alto, Selmer Concept,Winslow Lig, Hemke 3.5
    Keilwerth SX90 tenor, customized S80 C*, Winslow lig, Hemke 3.5
    Wildcard saxophone: Buffet S1 tenor

I heard SOTW's Martinman play one at Prowinds for a minute or so. It sounded fine from where I was standing. My mouthpieces wouldn't fit on the cork. If I remember correctly, the extra features were pretty tough to even press, especially the extra octave key, which was positioned like a Low A key but you were supposed to press the octave key at the same time. Didn't seem like it helped the altissimo anyway. I'm not telling you to buy another horn, but you could get some used horns for 2000 dollars that will burn.
    Stop bombarding me with your facts and sciences!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    and no fun title

Quote Originally Posted by maestroelite View Post
    I heard SOTW's Martinman play one at Prowinds for a minute or so. It sounded fine from where I was standing it sounded pretty good. My mouthpieces wouldn't fit on the cork. If I remember correctly, the extra features were pretty tough to even press(especially the extra octave key, which was positioned like a Low A key but you were supposed to press the octave key at the same time). Didn't seem like it helped the altissimo anyway. I'm not telling you to buy another horn, but you could get some used horns for 2000 dollars that will burn.
    Similar expirience. The 'improvements' that future sax players wont be able to live without.... seemed to me more of a hindrance than something that really helped me at all

*I'm getting the popcorn and drinks now before the thread gets fun, anyone want some?*
    Martin D. Williams
    Yeah, I did that.

Forum Contributor 2008 Simon Weiner's Avatar

As a store that carries Goodson horns, I would encourage you to try the alto and see if you like it.
    Check out my website at
    www.weinermusic.com

You can also email me directly simon@weinermusic.com

Like Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Weinermusic

I tried a silver alto model for a couple of days. The sound was very "rock & roll". (My inexperience will show here), but it sounded just altogether over the top. I would say try one for yourself, like you say, the price is right if the horn gets you where you live
    happy hunting

Just sat down to grab a large popcorn, and Papa John's is on the way with the pizza and the Dr. Pepper...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Weiner View Post
    As a store that carries Goodson horns, I would encourage you to try the alto and see if you like it.
    All I saw advertised on your website were Amati, L.A. Sax, Keilwerth, Selmer, Yanagisawa, and Yamaha. There were no "Goodson" saxes listed. Did you mean the L.A. Saxes? Is Goodson still connected with this brand?

John

Forum Contributor 2008 saxxsymbol's Avatar

The Steve Goodson horns are on sale on ebay. I just bought a gold matte plate alto for $1100.00. I have wanted to try one. These listed before for $2000. I will give an unbiased review on the whole transaction and the horn with all its gizmos. I have been playing yamahas for 16 years on alto. We'll see how this plays out. I figure for $ 1100 I can't go wrong This is what i figure all the Tiawain horns are worth and Phil is the only other one at that price point.
    I am proud to be a Saxgourmet Endorsing Artist !

My set ups:
    Saxgourmet Super 400 tenor, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Saxgourmet Super 400 alto, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Steve Goodson Model SP Bari, Jody Jazz Classic 7
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

"The worst thing in the world for a musician is to get an opportunity you are not prepared for."

Forum Contributor 2009

This may be a bit off topic but I just bought a Unison "Special" tenor - according to the ad: "Special model, prototype - Features of the Steve Goodson model"

Purchase price: $535

In addition, the horn comes with 2 necks and sports engraving by Jason DuMars - that in itself is worth what I paid! I will also report my findings when I get it.
    Richard
    http://www.MouthpieceCafe.com
    Tasty!

http://www.jazz-o-matic.com
    Free Audio Lessons Online

If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don't practice for three days, the public knows it.
    -- Louis Armstrong

Ebay transaction went okay. horn will be shipped next week after tech goes thru it.this is a new demo horn in gorgeous gold matte plate. I think they sell them for dealer price to the public after the shows ( NAMM, etc).

My set ups:
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

"The worst thing in the world for a musician is to get an opportunity you are not prepared for."

Quote Originally Posted by saxxsymbol View Post
    Ebay transaction went okay. horn will be shipped next week after tech goes thru it.this is a new demo horn in gorgeous gold matte plate. I think they sell them for dealer price to the public after the shows ( NAMM, etc).
    Please let me know what you think.

Received the horn today ( mine is the Steve Goodson Alto ) exactly a week after i ordered it. Horn arrived in good shape. This was a demo horn from the last show and I received what I believe is dealer price. Had a few finger prints but no scratches or dings. Appears to be Chinese or Japanese writing on box it came in although I am no expert.

Horn is stunning gold plate with matte gold finish and fully engraved from top to bottom.

It did need some regulation, about the same as my two yamahas did.
    The horn has adjustment screws for everything including an extra f helper bar adjustment and a bis key adjustment. One key ( middle D) feels a little stiff. if it doesn't loosen up I will see what can be done. I had to adjust the F/F# , the bis and the F and E key a little to remove slight leaks.

This horn has black roo pads and noyek brass resonators, looks cool, don't know how it affects the sound.

Speaking of sound, this horns sounds richer with more overtones and edge in all registers than my yamaha 82Z. My wife who plays flute liked it better than my yammy and made the above observations. When I played into a mirror I thought the same. Very modern sound, definitely not vintage. No hiss on A2, all C#'s in tune. When pushed tone has bite and is full of overtones. Intonation is better than the Yamaha and Altissimo is stronger. This horn can play LOUD and FULL and has instantly extended my useable range on alto. With or without using the altissimo octave key the altissimo is better.There is a difference with it, it is easier and stronger. Horn retains nice core sound even at ppp. Overall my first impression is very good. I have been very skeptical of Asian horns in the past. I have tried two and hated them both.

I will use it in on lead in the big band on Friday and really put it to the test. This may become my main alto, if it does I will be selling my Z . Will check back later.

My set ups:
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

Forum Contributor 2009

Yeah - the one I purchased on eBay was a fraud. Bummer! Fortunately, I didn't lose any $$$ but I'm bummed that it wasn't a real deal.
    Richard
    http://www.MouthpieceCafe.com
    Tasty!

http://www.jazz-o-matic.com
    Free Audio Lessons Online

If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don't practice for three days, the public knows it.
    -- Louis Armstrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast