Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Thread: Martin Galaxy

Default Martin Galaxy

Hello. I am new here and am looking for some HELP. I thought I found a nice family owned music shop where the owner was a PROFESSIONAL sax payer for 47 years. My 10 year old son wants to play sax and is signed up for band this summer. I went to this store and had a WONDERFUL experiance looking at the instruments and even listening to the owner PLAY some of them. I chose a MARTIN GALAXY that had a nice look and was in nice condition. Owner stated their technician had gone over the sax. Onwer played it and it sounded good to me (I do not play, but THOUGHT I could listen OK...lol). So I walked out of there with the sax in tow.
    I then went to the school where my daughter is (and is also a first year band student-clairinet) and spoke with her Band Director. WELL, it went downhill from there !!! He stated the shop had a TERRIBLE reputation for ripping off people. He said even one of the school band teachers that has played for 30 years herself posed as a grandparent wanting to puchase an instrument. Said as she asked questions the owner answered with many LIES. I asked if he would play the sax I bought. He played a few notes and then went right to the chromatic tuner. WELL that also showed that he could not get any notes to play true. He also called a friend who looked up the Blue Book value, and said it was $200 (I paid $800) Now I was sad.
    I called the store and spoke with the owner. Stated what the Band Director had found out while playing the sax.(except the price thing). He said it sounded like it had bad intonation and he would gladly exchange it. So I am headed back today to talk to him. Not sure if I should just get money back, exchange it or could it be the wrong mouth piece was used ?????
    Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted to give enough info...

Any thoughts???
    Thanks in advance from the new Band Dad......

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 Mope's Avatar

Default Re: Martin Galaxy

I think you probably overpaid, but it's not as bad as the band director makes it sound. I think the Martin Galaxy is a decent horn - Japanese made by Yani? Your going to pay more buying from a music store than ebay, etc., but they should take care of you.
    The worst-case scenario here is worse than anything you can imagine.

Here's one on Craiglist; http://dallas.craigslist.org/msg/688898293.html Sorry, but they want $200. It does look like they overcharged you.
    I also saw old old post by member Bruce Bailey; http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=48457. Maybe he could tell you more about them.
    None of the notes played in tune? Maybe he should at least have gotten the A in tune!
    Look for a Martin Imperial. Great horns for the money and the key layout works well with small hands.

Thanks guys. After reading a little more, 1 thing MAY save this guy. The BD did use HIS mouthpiece. Not the one with the sax. The store owner did play the sax with the mp supplied. SOOOOOO MAYBE, all will be OK, but we may still have to talk about the price.

Thanks again, he had some Selmer's there, maybe swap out for one of those ???

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 Mope's Avatar

If the Galaxy is indeed made by Yanagisawa, the intonation should be about perfect. Selmer is not necessarily better. I'm guessing the Galaxy is very similar to Yamaha YAS-23 or a Japanese Vito. These are excellent student horns. New price $1200-$2000. Resale can be $200-$1000. If you bought a $200 Craigslist horn, you may have to take it to the music store for a $400 repad.
    The worst-case scenario here is worse than anything you can imagine.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Those were made by Yanagisawa in the 70s and were pretty decent horns. I sold an alto in mint condition for about $250 as I recall. Tuning should not be a problem.

Well, update....Took it back and exchanged it for a NEW Buffet BC8101....Have not been able to have it looked at, but I am not anticipating a problem since it is a new horn. Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how my son progresses as he learns...

After doing many searches here, I am unable to find any comments on the Buffet...???? I understand it is a Student model, but has anyone played one? Likes/dislikes, thoughts ??? Now I am nervous that there is not any info to be found...Thanks
    Last edited by BandDad61008; 05-26-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

The Martin Galaxy model isn't always made by Yanagisawa. I've seen a Alto with a "Martin Galaxy" logo on the bell and a Vito logo (a triangle inside a circle) on the bell to body brace and it also had only a serial number with no country of origin. The Martin Galaxy Alto I saw was identical to a Jupiter/KHS Alto.

Keep in mind that there is a segment of school band directors who are about as seedy as prohibition era liquor bootleggers. The common practice these days is for the big horn companies and retailers to work a deal with the directors to push their products and receive a kickback or other motivations. This isn't universal, but all too common.

The idea that the whole horn was out of tune with itself top to bottom is highly unlikely (Albeit all horns have SOME quirks in intonation in varying degrees, but the whole horn? More like a couple of notes, if that), and if the director made that claim, they could very well have been deliberately misrepresenting the horn's capabilities to entice you to purchase their recommended brand (that is if they can play the sax to an acceptable level themselves). As stated previously, if it was a Yanagisawa or Yamaha stencil (which it very well could have been), they play VERY well in tune, and are well built horns.

These were marketed as an intermediate or "step up" model, and yes, $800 was too much for it.

None the less, the "Buffet" that you purchased is a Taiwan/China built horn based on modern keywork design, and while definitely a student model that may or may not be built to last, might be easier for the youngster to navigate initially.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BandDad61008 View Post
    Well, update....Took it back and exchanged it for a NEW Buffet BC8101....Have not been able to have it looked at, but I am not anticipating a problem since it is a new horn. Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how my son progresses as he learns...

After doing many searches here, I am unable to find any comments on the Buffet...???? I understand it is a Student model, but has anyone played one? Likes/dislikes, thoughts ??? Now I am nervous that there is not any info to be found...Thanks
    Noooo... The Martin Galaxy was actually Yanigasawa's professional model at the time, and that Buffet is just some cheapo chinese or whatever horn.
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Forum Contributor 2010 ChiefThndrTongue's Avatar

I would definitely agree with Mike S. on the "bootlegger band director" analogy. I remember my director insisting everyone buy Bundys from a particular store. Some kids showed up with Conns and Bueschers and were told they weren't suitable instruments. Forcing parents to buy a certain instrument when they may not have the money or telling the student their horn is inferior only discourages kids from learning music.

While you probably did over-pay for either sax, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Encourage your daughter to stick with band and I'm sure it won't be the last sax you ever buy. Just shop around more for the next one. Either the Buffet or Martin would make great marching horns in high school. My parents probably over paid for my Bundy, but it served me AND my son through beginner band and marching season. Still have it today!
    Soprano:'24 Martin HC
    Alto:'42 Martin HCII
    Tenor:'68 Signet