P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Grand-Teacher

Joe Viola, Phil Woods, Ramond Ricker, Donald Sinta and Sigurd Rascher. The ones I know of....I'm sure the guys I studied with studied with many more.
    Scott

BUZZZ!! Not a random sample. Participants self-selected for the survey. But, you can believe whatever you want. There are NO rules of induction.
    "The bus came by
    and I got on.
    That's when it all began ..."

Quote Originally Posted by paulwl
    Allard: 7
    Hemke: 6
    Teal: 5
    Londeix: 4
    Rascher: 3
    Deffayet, Konitz, Mule, Rousseau, Sinta, Viola and Woods: 2 each
    A whole bunch of others: 1 each

From this somewhat random sample, I suspect Joe Allard is the most influential saxophone teacher of all time.
    But keep in mind that Hemke, Londeix, Deffayet, and Rousseau all studied with Mule, which would seem to make him the most influential teacher in this limited, non-scientifically-derived list.

Mule via Hemke via Wytco via Nelson

Dave

Forum Contributor 2008 Michigansax's Avatar

Hmm-

I did my bachelor with Michael Jacobson - Eugene Rousseau - Marcel Mule

Did my masters with Don Sinta - Larry Teal

Doing my doctorate with Eric Nestler - Eugene Rousseau - Marcel Mule

Forum Contributor 2012 Toot Sweet!'s Avatar

I'm an amateur player from Switzerland. I studied for some time with alto player George Robert whose main teachers were Phil Woods and foremost Joe Viola, when George studied at Berklee. At my first lesson, George cited Joe Viola: "A saxophone is about SOUND!"
    TootSweet
    "The qualities in music which I considered most important -- and still do -- were beauty, simplicity, originality, discrimination, and sincerity." - Paul Desmond

My grand teacher is Paul Cohen

My great-great-great-great-great-grandteacher is Louie Armstrong
    Ken

My current band directors are Mark Greer and Richard Anderson. I've actually met their high school directors (they are judges for a scholarship the program gives every year). I do know that my directors were students of Larry Teal in college.

Mark Greer also went to Arizona University, where he was under Gregg Hanson (I think). Greer taught at the University of South Dakota, too. (I'm very lucky to have some pretty talented directors).
    Last edited by rs1sensen; 01-25-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Distinguished SOTW Member

my grand-teacher is Jim Riggs. didn't think I'd be the first to post that...

one of mine is Branford Marsalis

Quote Originally Posted by TylerW
    Scott Plugge was both teacher and grand-teacher to me although I generally count him as my only true sax teacher. This makes my one true grand-teacher Hemke.
    I agree with you, Scott Plugge is my Grand- Teacher. He was my teacher in CT and then he moved back to TX (Sam Houston State University). I moved to TX to continue my studies with him. Any students in the Houston area looking for a teacher to study jazz or classical with should give him a call.

I guess that makes my true Grand -Teacher Hemke to.

Fred Hemke would be my Grand-teacher.

Sigurd Rascher via Laurence Wyman and Lawrence Gwozdz
    Donald Sinta and Pat Meighan via Wildy Zumwalt
    Brian Kauth

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Well, I studied with Eugene Rousseau and Michael Hester, so that means my "grand teachers" are Marcel Mule, Larry Teal, Donald Sinta, and Jean-Marie Londeix. I also took a few lessons with Elizabeth Ervin and Jan Faidley, but they are also Rousseau types.

I studied with Vince Gnojek and Greg Briggs in high school, so that means my other "grand teacher" is Harvey Pittel...I don't play the sopranino though...

Come to think of it, I also studied with Bill Caldwell and Kevin Mahogany in jazz in high school. (Yes, THAT Kevin Mahogany. He's a singer, but I studied with him for theory.) I need to find out who Caldwell studied with because he's Kansas City's answer to Michael Brecker.

I never realized that I had so much "American" school training. Huh. I also never realized that I've had so many teachers!

My wife has the best one though...she can trace her piano lineage back to Beethoven!
    Last edited by J.Max; 04-13-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Distinguished SOTW Member jaysne's Avatar

Vincent Abato.

And I believe he took from Mule, too.

Awsome thread! My Grad-Teachers are:
    Sigurd Rascher via William Trimble and Larry Teal, Donald Sinta, Joe Allard and J.M. Londeix via David Henderson.

Default Missing Grand Teachers

Well, my teacher is Anton Scwartz. I'm going to have to do some detective work to find out who taught him

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mr_syms
    Joe Lovano
    Cool! Not my grand-teacher, but also a client of my tech. Which leads me to believe my tech is quite good, and makes me wonder whether my horn has had a little chat with the one of Lovano

greetzz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast