Sax on the Web Forum banner

Aebersold

12K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  GT 
#1 ·
Is it legal to play along to an Aebersold CD in a restaurant or club for profit? If not, is it legal to do the same at a restaurant or club for free (i.e. for fun)? Looking to get back into gigs and haven't yet found others to play with. Thanks!

#2 ·
Have you considered buying MIDI files? You can pay for the license to perform with them (sometimes included in the price, depending on the vendor/creating business). All you need then is a computer software to convert it to MP3. Burn that to a music CD format in your CD burner.
Then you're doing it legally.

As an added bonus, you can get a MIDI sequencer and alter any of the arrangement you'd like before transferring it to MP3 for your backing track.

S.

#3 ·
It would be illegal here in the UK to do it for profit without all the required licences and you would have to pay royalties on what you play not only to the song writer but to the group or ochestra that recorded the original piece. Even playing for free is frought with legal consequencies as the place you play would have to have a licence for Live music and should still get authorization for the use of the backing tapes.
However US law is much different and I would recommend paying for an hour with a lawyer to get the true interpretations for your state or county.

#4 ·
For free or for pay doesn't make a difference. The venue has to have performance licenses from ASCAP/BMI/SESAC that allow them to present live performances of the tunes. If they are also licensed to play commercial CDs as background music through their house system, you may use Aebersolds tracks onstage. Very few commercial venues have such a license, however, and I wouldn't do it.

You may not record with the tracks or broadcast them without getting proper permissions.

If you play standards, try these instead. There are no royalties to pay.

http://www.playalongstudio.com

#5 ·
The MIDI files are a great tip. However I especially like the playalongstudio.com tip, for purposes of standards anyway. So if I play these in public, the venue does not need any sort of license, and I pay no royalties?

If that is the case, Al, thank you very much for this fantastic idea. Your efforts are appreciated. I read your other thread explaining how you record. Great idea. I am sure you can market this effectively and do quite well.

Comparing to Aebersold, I especially like how there is no count off, but rather a 4 bar intro in most cases, and there is a piano solo allowing a small break for the vocalist/instrumentalist while adding interest.

It sounds like you won't mind if I play a couple of tunes at a local restaurant, etc, as motivation for getting back into playing. I promise...it won't go anywhere :) and is mostly for fun.

#6 ·
The MIDI files are a great tip. However I especially like the playalongstudio.com tip, for purposes of standards anyway. So if I play these in public, the venue does not need any sort of license, and I pay no royalties?
The venue still needs a performance license to cover your playing of copyrighted tunes (performers don't have to worry about that), but no royalties are due to me for use of the tracks themselves.
I am sure you can market this effectively and do quite well.
I have no plans to sell these tracks. They are for anyone who wants to use them.
It sounds like you won't mind if I play a couple of tunes at a local restaurant, etc, as motivation for getting back into playing. I promise...it won't go anywhere :) and is mostly for fun.
Enjoy them and have a good time playing.

#8 ·
Come on... that's gotta be a joke. He sounds like he's just farting around. If he's serious, then, um.... I guess I'm too closed-minded.

#9 ·
This sounds exaclly like a guy who used to be here; can't remember his name but he would post these solos, get savaged, get thrown off the forum, come back and do it all over again. CD baby is getting snookered and they might even be looking at getting sued by Aebersold.

alon?

#10 ·
i don't mean to convince you, but my opinion is, that a performance with aebersold tracks will hardly be of interest.
if you can play great, it will sound great without the backing, if you can't it won't sound great with the backing. and even if it's "just for fun", why not try something more interesting and appealing than playing with backing tracks in public. This is my opinion, so take it for what it is, but to my taste, a metronome would even sound better than a whole band coming from a tape with no reaction to what the soloist does.

#11 ·
I did a gig using Aebersold. I did it as trade for free yoga. I liked using the tracks just to hear the changes. It was a classic sax guy in the corner playing for the mood. I don't know if it was legal probably not but I have spent a lot of cash on Jamey's products so I don't really feel to bad about it. I would have loved to use a real trio but it is hard to find bass, drums and piano that want to play for yoga. It isn't something i do on a regular basis. The people loved it and to address Ismail the average joe that goes to events with back ground jazz can't tell the difference between backing tracks and musicians playing off each other but for the guy playing it is a nice way to practice and gig.

#18 ·
#22 ·
Come on man, after listening to that and reading the biographical info do you really believe that? Do you believe that you are listening to his quartet; that's one soloist and three live trio musicians?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.