Sax on the Web Forum banner

Need help with value of Dolnet soprano

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
I ran across a curved soprano yesterday at a local second hand shop. It was funny because the owner insisted it was an alto, even after I told him it was a soprano. Anyway, this one is brass color with original lacquer and some engraving on the bell. I did not get the serial number. It's going to need a repad and adjust, but there doesn't seem to be any damage or repair. He's asking $200 which seems like a good price for any vintage soprano. I'm going to try to get it for $150. What do you guys think is the value of these? Did the Dolnet sopranos change in quality over the years? Thanks for any help.:)

#7 ·
200$ is a very good price. But, prior to buying your new soprano invest a few bucks in a tuner, when you go and test the horn take it with you. There are High Pitch Dolnets which were sold as late as the '70 in Holland (I bought an alto and I currently have the one a friend of mine bought....), so don't believe the common knowledge that there were no HP made after 1939.....there were. I have the proof! ;)

#8 · (Edited)
200$ is a very good price. But, prior to buying your new soprano invest a few bucks in a tuner, when you go and test the horn take it with you. There are High Pitch Dolnets…
That's good advice, Milandro. I will bring a tuner.

Has anyone actually seen or played a high pitch Dolnet curved soprano? Perhaps only the larger Dolnet saxes were made in high-pitch versions?

#10 ·
I'm gonna go see this horn again on the weekend. Some of you had comments about the horn being possibly too old. So I'm guessing if the neck is not removable and there is no front F key, I should avoid this sax. Thoughts?

#11 ·
no, go for it, the neck won't be removable, for sure, and the absence of a front F is probably not a problem and can be added, if you wish to. The only problem might be intonation,(is this a high pitch?) get a tuner and check it, otherwise buy it and be very happy with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.