Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clear plastic oboe, gold keys, on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oboe_W0QQitemZ30...QQcmdZViewItem

That's the listing.
    It's a clear plastic(?) oboe with gold keys.
    The fact that the pawn shop said it was custom made is worthless......they lie to move merchandise, or just repeat whatever story the person pawning it might have given them.

If it really were a good horn, it would have some sort of markings on it as to maker.....this has none.

My assumption is that it's a goofy thing from China, as they sell for the eyes not the ears. And the seller says it may need servicing, which of course China saxes need every few hours.
    HOWEVER.....at some time in the past I saw a pic of this same sort of clear oboe here on sotw.
    I just forget whether it was a legit high-end horn or not.

Question: is this China junk or is it a cool instrument that I missed out on?

Thanks for informed input (or even the link to the thread here from long ago with a pic of one of these and comments, I can't find it)

Default Re: Clear plastic oboe, gold keys, on ebay

While only a hack on the Oboe myself, I am more than familiar with the instrument and what to look for in a quality Oboe. I'm confident in assessing this as a VERY cheap, throw away Chinese import. Not even student grade.

As if the cheap clear plastic body and gaudy, gold lacquered keys weren't enough, the case is a dead giveaway. Only thing missing are the ubiquitous white cotton gloves.

Be glad you didn't win it.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

That's reassuring.
    However, I'm still searching here for that pic in memory, and among the results I've found Buffet and others have put out student grade Perspex or Lucite, etc clear plastic clarinets.
    And in one post, someone mentioned a Marigaux clear oboe..........and I'll betcha that Marigaux was the one in the pic I remembered.
    I would assume that Marigaux would stamp or mark their clear instrument, tho.
    Is that a correct assumption?

http://www.marigaux.com/english/

their clear plastic one is the Model 2009 ALTU, made from "altuglass".
    And the bell is stamped Marigaux Paris, tho I can't zoom in on the pic.
    I would very much guess that this is what the ebay bidders were thinking the one in the auction was...........tho why would they if it's unstamped?

But: I can't find a cheap Chinese oboe on ebay that's clear plastic, nor anywhere else.........can someone point out one somewhere?

saxismyaxe......great aside re the white cotton gloves. But pardon my ignorance.....I thought the case in the pic looked high quality? (but I can't zoom on this computer, and the monitor's old.)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Default Re: High-end custom or Chinese junk? ebay listing

Can't speak for the quality but there are a lot of Pics and flutes coming from China in clear.

Not at all. The case appears to be fiberboard/cardboard covered in leather textured paper, with VERY cheap, grommeted on latches typical of this sort coming out of Asia at the low end of the price scale.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Iit might very well be a Chinese Oboe (in that instance, it is way overpriced!) but, the case, its quality or lack of it, in my experience, says nothing about the quality of Chinese instruments and it bears no relation to the instument's quality whatsoever. I have just started importing instruments (saxophones and clarinets) from China and Taiwan and very good instruments (and I mean very good!) come often in uneventful or cheap cases. We throw out the gloves!

I would use caution ( or rather, I should say , I wouldn't buy it ) anyway, in buying an instrument which is not very well known, let alone photographed and described properly by the seller. If the man can't be bothered to do his job properly why would you have to part (his loss, your gain....... my derriere! ) with so much money?
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Distinguished SOTW Member rhysonsax's Avatar

Marigaux made/make a clear-bodied oboe. http://www.marigaux.com/english/inst..._altuglass.jpg

I don't know whether this eBay auction is the same, but it does look and sound suspicious.

Rhys

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Nice! Now the audience can watch the spit run down the inside of your horn instead of just listening to it gurgle!
    SAX ENSEMBLES (quartet, trio, sextet, and more): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Distinguished SOTW Member kymarto's Avatar

Think of the fun you could have if you embedded some of those blue LEDs in the body! Kewl! Too bad Kenny G doesn't play the oboe...

Toby

Quote Originally Posted by Mal 2 View Post
    Nice! Now the audience can watch the spit run down the inside of your horn instead of just listening to it gurgle!
    My thoughts exactly. I played on a clear mouthpiece for about a week... didn't like being able to see my saliva on the inside!

Distinguished SOTW Member Bebopalot's Avatar

I like the sellers attitude about too many questions. "I don't have time be answering questions for 4 more days so I'm ending the bidding". That's a classic.

He also has some great things to say about the music programs in Hawaii.
    Losing a couple of bucks on the oboe because the kid won't play it seems like a small price to pay. Think of the alternative.

well, it's been 7 weeks now since the auction closed, and neither buyer nor seller submitted feedback.
    So you were correct, apparently.
    I would like to know, tho, just what sort of correspondence went on between the two of them after the item was received.
    That's a lot of money for junk.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Chris Peryagh's Avatar

Even though it's got fully automatic 8ves, they haven't fitted the link from the G# key to close the upper 8ve vent for altissimo F.

There was an identical one listed with much better photos which showed this missing link(!)more clearly.

It is in fact a Marigaux oboe ! It premiered at the International Double Reed Society last year and I was able to play it at this IDRS conference. It is an excellent professional oboe that plays just like its wooden counterpart. Marigaux is a great maker that many oboists in Europe as well as America play. The oboe itself is very beautiful and well made. It was highly acclaimed by most marigaux players! Nobody would've thought it was at all "plastic". The price however, steers many away.

That one on eBay was definitely NOT a Marigaux.

There was a Marigaux 901 in aultglass on there a while back, and that was a completely different kettle of fish to the Chinese pile of shite that's pretending to be something it clearly (no pun intended) isn't.

If it was a Marigaux I'd have snapped it up straight away.

I've just had a look on eBay to see if these plastic things have since resurfaced, but obviously it's a waste of the seller's time to keep relisting them (as there was more than one of them) as no-one is that easily taken in. Just hope if they did sell, the buyer got a full refund.
    F*** the notes, go for the tone!

Here you go - here's a pair of the things in all their transparent glory! http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/50...howimage.html?
    F*** the notes, go for the tone!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

does anybody know where to find these Chinese or Taiwanese(not on alibaba) and has actually bought one?

The Opus acrylic oboe sells for appr 1100 Euros
    produced in Beijing.
    The Marigaux 2001 altuglass is apparently a proseries
    but I have no indication of price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast