Sax on the Web Forum banner

Conn 6M - The New York Style Neck - How Rare?

15K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
I've owned 3 6M's in the last 4 months. I just LOVE my 1936 6M and am looking for a Silver 6M VIII that's not crazy expensive -

In my search I just purchased a 1933/34 Tranny (6M) with the "New York Style Neck"

My question is about the New York Style Neck.

How rare are these necks? I know Parker was seen photographed with one. Does this make the horn more desirable or less? I tried a search but didn't come up with much info.

#6 ·
Huh, now I'm confused. I've never seen a picture of bird with the overslung neck w/o microtuner, but I have seen a picture of him with one that is underslung w/o microtuner. Also, the underslung w/o microtuner was listed on junkdude's site as "New York."

#9 ·
We were just given a vintage Conn 6M alto sax from a gentleman who
purchased it second hand in 1940 and happily played it for many years. We
looked up the serial number info from this and other web sites and it appears
to be an early 1936 model (271XXX). What is unusual is that the serial
number has an 'A' at the end (M271XXXA) that I haven't seen described
anywhere but it is present in the picture of your 1933 model 6M on ebay. Our sax also has the 'New York' style overslung neck without the
microtuner and is in excellent working condition. No major dents, all the keys
and original pads seem to be in great condition. Any idea what the A at the
end of the serial number means?

#13 ·
I've been interested in these horns for quite some time and you'll see my old posts if you search the forum. Try "conn altos" "new york neck" - or put "topside" or "overslung" in place of "new york".

IIRC, all Conn altos I've ever seen from about #250k-275k (1932-'36), regardless of neck type, 6M or 26M, have an A after the serial. I have no idea why, and I suspect the answer went up in smoke when the Conn archives went to the incinerator.

The topside neck horns are rare, but not a high dollar collectible, because 6Ms in general are not.

I own a topside neck 6MVIII from 1937, probably one of the last.

#16 ·
I actually overhauled a topside WITH a microtuner a few years back for a SOTW member.

#18 ·
The later 6M models did not have a tuner. The overslung octaves generally lacked tuner also, but overslung with a tuner. Crazy rare.

#19 ·
#31 ·
I have a 6M with underslung neck and no micro tuner. It also has an “A” after the Serial number. It also has an “L” stamped underneath the serial number. I think that is for La fleur as it is engraved La Fleur just above the bell to bow ring. It has the usual conn engraving with naked lady. serial #268xxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.