Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Quinte, Ontario
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    May be if you gave us some clue of what you remember...like what the site was, what the nature of the article was, what it was about in general terms, how old it was, whether it was from a published magazine, or a patent, or just an informal posting...was it specifically about sax reeds, or just reeds in general...you know, the kind of stuff that would be helpful in searching for it?

    Ive read your first post a couple of times and Im still not sure? Is is an article on the way warping over time reduces a reeds performance...and you dont want anything else that might affect performance, just that?

    Have I got it right?

    Anyway, it would be easier to help if you could tell us as much as you can...

    Was it something like this
    http://www.reedgeek.com/WarpAndFlatten2.html
    or something more formal, with empirical evidence quoted...

    I may growl occasionally, but I never bite

  2. #22

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadiain View Post
    May be if you gave us some clue of what you remember...like what the site was, what the nature of the article was, what it was about in general terms, how old it was, whether it was from a published magazine, or just an informal posting...you know, the kind of stuff that would be usefull for searching for it?

    Ive read your first post a couple of times and Im still not sure? Is is an article on the way warping over time reduces a reeds performance...and you dont want anything else that might affect performance, just that?

    Have I got it right?

    Anyway, it would be easier to help if you could tell us as much as you can...

    OK. Let me see. I'm pretty sure it was a scientific study on the matter, where the guy tried tons of things. Let me see... Something that might help is that he tried a method of filming from inside the mouth while playing. The article just states that he researched it, and how.

    Yes, you have that right. Only about the warping. Thanks...


    ~DexterGordonisKing

  3. #23
    Distinguished SOTW Member Kelly Bucheger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,181

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    I think reeds just get weary.
    They give so much.

    And ask for so little.

    Our little caney friends.
    My BRAND SPANKING STILL HERE CD, • House of Relics • iTunes, Amazon, Bandcamp.
    Sakshama Link on a VIGwind Slant on a 10MTenney Berg on a VIPhil-tone Alto on a TH&C
    Website: What Would Mingus Do? • Jazz Blog: Harder Bop

  4. #24
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Quinte, Ontario
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by DexterGordonisKing View Post
    OK. Let me see. I'm pretty sure it was a scientific study on the matter, where the guy tried tons of things. Let me see... Something that might help is that he tried a method of filming from inside the mouth while playing. The article just states that he researched it, and how.

    Yes, you have that right. Only about the warping. Thanks...


    ~DexterGordonisKing
    Getting closer...
    http://goios.free.fr/articles/Almeida-isma2002.pdf
    http://www.idrs.org/publications/Jou...0.Schmidt.html

    Ive a feeling what you are looking for might be "Casadonte DJ The clarinet reed: an introduction to its biology, chemistry and physics." (DMA diss., Ohio State U., 1995), or something citing it anyway.
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1995PhDT.......186C

    I may growl occasionally, but I never bite

  5. #25

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadiain View Post
    Getting closer...
    http://goios.free.fr/articles/Almeida-isma2002.pdf
    http://www.idrs.org/publications/Jou...0.Schmidt.html

    Ive a feeling what you are looking for might be "Casadonte DJ (1995) The clarinet reed: an introduction to its biology, chemistry and physics."
    DUDE! Thank you! That's the one, the International Double Reed Society one... The other one looks helpful as well. Thank you so much for your help!

    ~DexterGordonisKing

  6. #26

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Would this be of any help? http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF10/1066.html

    Quote:

    Using infrared spectroscopy to compare old spent reeds with sound new ones, Casadonte found that spent reeds contain more carbon-oxygen double bonds. He doesn't know for sure why this happens or what it means, but suspects the player's saliva leaches pectins out of the reed to unmask the double bonds. The loss of pectins would explain why spent reeds cannot hold moisture as well as fresh ones do. This chemical degradation would make the cell walls thinner and more brittle, so the reed's higher vibrational frequencies would be enhanced. In effect, it would become more shrill.

  7. #27

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Yes, that helps tons as well. Thank you guys for the help. It is much appreciated

  8. #28
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    SactoPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,297

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    I see I was beat to it:

    http://www.idrs.org/publications/Jou...0.Schmidt.html

    Google is your friend. "Reed deterioration study"... second item on list.

    Pete
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

    A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

  9. #29
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Quinte, Ontario
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by DexterGordonisKing View Post
    DUDE! Thank you! That's the one, the International Double Reed Society one... The other one looks helpful as well. Thank you so much for your help!

    ~DexterGordonisKing
    De Nada

    Good luck with the paper

    And dont forget to do a random act of kindness for someone else eh, its what makes the world a better place.

    I may growl occasionally, but I never bite

  10. #30
    Distinguished SOTW Member michaelbaird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Gallatin, TN
    Posts
    1,927

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Saliva may only digest simple sugars but simple sugars are CHO carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Cellulose would also consist of CHO as well with double and single bonds on different areas of the molecular chain. I've heard of oboe players soaking their reads in Peroxide (H2O2) to counter the effects of saliva which makes sense becuase the extra oxygen molecule would be available to bond with a free positively charged molecule.

  11. #31
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Quinte, Ontario
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbaird View Post
    Saliva may only digest simple sugars but simple sugars are CHO carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Cellulose would also consist of CHO as well with double and single bonds on different areas of the molecular chain. I've heard of oboe players soaking their reads in Peroxide (H2O2) to counter the effects of saliva which makes sense becuase the extra oxygen molecule would be available to bond with a free positively charged molecule...I think saliva's properties play a big role myself.
    On the other hand one of the patents I bumped into on my quick search stated that peroxide actually reduces the useful life of a reed....

    I may growl occasionally, but I never bite

  12. #32
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    SactoPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,297

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

    A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

  13. #33

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Thank you guys, the info is fantabulous. Looks like my research paper won't be quite so much of a beast now...

    ~DexterGordonisKing

  14. #34
    The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Posts
    25,388

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by DexterGordonisKing View Post
    Thank you guys, the info is fantabulous. Looks like my research paper won't be quite so much of a beast now.


    Now that you signed up, don't be a stranger.
    Ya'll come back now, ya heah?
    ____________________________________________________
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

    TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor


  15. #35

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    If you want another theory to broaden your discussion, try this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

    Cheers,

    CvS

  16. #36

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post


    Now that you signed up, don't be a stranger.
    Ya'll come back now, ya heah?
    I hear. I play tenor sax, so I think this forum will be useful in the future. From the other forums I've been on, this one seems pretty well moderated as well, which is a definite plus... Again, thank you all for your help.

    ~DexterGordonisKing
    He died for me, I'll live for Him.

  17. #37

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Quote Originally Posted by cvsimson View Post
    If you want another theory to broaden your discussion, try this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

    Cheers,

    CvS
    Wow, that's really cool. I'm looking at it now...

    ~DexterGordonisKing
    He died for me, I'll live for Him.

  18. #38

    Default Re: OK, I have no clue where to put this... I need all geeks' help.

    Doncha just love a happy ending . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •