Sax on the Web Forum banner

Matching your tone to another?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has or had a very specific sound or goal in my mind when it comes to getting the tone they really want.

I know we all have our "own" sound (as I do also), but my sound originally came from first finding something that I liked, and then trying to match that. The end result is something close to that original sound, but mixed together with my own personal sound as well.

I've listened to a LOT of Sanborn. His sound was the reason I picked up the instrument. But, I hear some things in his sound that I really like, and others not as much. I tried to zero in on one particular aspect of his sound that seemed to be what I was after, what I like the most. I realized it was mainly his lyrical sound and phrasing at softer volumes that I liked the most. It still had guts and an interesting edge, but wasn't a classical "jazz" sound either. It wasn't a clear enough goal for me to say "I want that Sanborn sound" because to me, that sound varied too much from one recording to another. My goal had to be much more specific than that.

If I had to pick one tune that exemplified the sound I was after, it would be from his "Taking Off" album, and that tune is "Way 'Cross Georgia". That's the tune that really shows off the best aspects of his sound, or at least the sound that appealed to me the most. That's the specific tone I've always strived for, of course with my own interpretation of it - but I've used this as a guide in developing my own sound - this was the starting point.

Whether you have your own "original" sound or not, I believe everyone's sound has been influenced to some degree by something they've heard from someone else.

My question to you is, what specific tune had the biggest influence on you and your sound, do you have one particular tune that exemplifies what you initially used to model your sound?

See less See more
#3 ·
My wish or model would be Rollins from the Colossus / Newks Time period.

Try as I may I can't do it but it's a great one to shoot for.

I was closer when I used a NY Link . I remember playing along with those records getting closer with the Link. I do think mpc can matter but it isn't everything. Plus you shuold draw on a wide range of tonal models IMHO

#9 ·
I always wanted to have a tone like Malachs that was contemporary yet warmer than Breckers. I finally got it on a late model Mark VI and a modified Otto Link. I became the happiest man alive! Smooth, even, bright, fast, clean, yet warm and fat when I want it to be.

Ironically I dont play now cause my ears are screwed from all of those years searching for the tone. Now I have to sell the MP and horn. DRAG.

FM

#10 ·
The tone i've always liked and in a way strived for is Rich Perry, I think he has a completely unique sound concept. Of course I never will, but its fun trying, and my tone aint bad!

#12 ·
Yes, and it will be for ever!

My first big influences for sound are Ben Webster and Arnett Cobb. Some others came into the picture later. But a sound is a very personal thing and it's almost impossible (and probably not desirable) to sound exactly like one's hero, so I found my own sound and are (sometimes!) not unhappy with it.

Here is a clip of Arnett Cobb from a concert I visited in 1979 and which turned me some years later into starting to learn to play tenor saxophone (still working on that!):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.