Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Harwood Jenkins C Melody

Is anyone familiar with a C melody sax marked Harwood Professional Jenkins Music Co, Kansas City,MO? I am inclined to guess that it is a Conn stencil but am not sure.I could not turn up the "Buy it now" price of 110.00 on Ebay.It appears to be in real nice condition going by the pictures.I am a tenor player but have been looking to obtain a C Melody to practice with my daughter with her flute lessons.Any insight will be appreciated.Happy Holidays to all.
    Jeff

Distinguished SOTW Technician tbone's Avatar

Jeff;
    I've got one right here in front of me! Mine is silver plate & it's a Buescher stencil. Does yours have the Buescher "Man in the Moon" brace under the neck and the fin brace on the bottom of the bow? I have heard, but never seen, that Conn also made Harwoods but can't either confirm or deny.
    Get yourself a Runyon C-mel mouthpiece and enjoy! The old pieces are really stuffy and C-mel reeds are expensive.

Jeff & tbone,

I have a 'Harwood Jenkins' C-Sax also. Mine is also a Buescher stencil. I tore mine completely down a couple of years ago for an overhaul but so far have not seemed to have found the time or motivation to put it back together. The body is in a display case minus all it's keys...and the keys are in the case all polished and with new pads and in a plastic bag. I guess that I should get my act back together and put the horn back together !!!

I paid $ 81 for mine but minus a neck.

But I do have another noeck from another horn (a Lyon & Healy - Buescher stencil) that I plan to use on it someday.

Obviously, I can't comment on playability...only the maker.

Mine plays as well as, maybe even better than, my Buescher C-mel. They're basically the same horn with the exception of snap in pads. The Harwood has glued in pads.
    I used noyeks on mine and it really sings. I went a little nuts on the restoration of this horn. Gold plated the keys and did a rose gold wash inside the bell. Fix her up jsax, they're a great little horn

My Harwood Jenkins C Melodx arrived to day.I do believe it is a Beuscher because it has the question mark shaped neck and the "rooster fin" on the bow.The serial number is 104xxx.Are the serial numbers on Beuscher stencils impossible to figure out like the Conn stencils are do they run the same as the Beuscher models?Thanks
    Jeff

Jeff;
    The Buescher stencil s/n's don't follow the Buescher #'s Mine(Harwood) is #75XXX. Give her a good restore and try the Runyon C-mel mouthpiece on her. After trying the Runyon piece, I think I'm going to sell all my old C-mel pieces on eBay!!!!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Default Re: Harwood Jenkins C Melody

Well, I bought myself a Harwood Jenkins C-Melody SN 93XXX it looks very nice and it is for sure a Buesher stencil, silver plate and gold wash in the bell, just a little less sophisticated than a Buescher since it misses the pearls on the touches. My guess is that it is a 1925 (?) for the similarities with Buescher models of this vintage but I have no real reason to be sure about that specifical year. The previous owner told me that he bought it a few years ago from a shop of a friend of mine. Some of the springs were out of place , I put them back and the horn more or less played but the low register was squeaking and I thought the neck might have been leaking. A tenon and receiver inspection revealed that the receiver was broken. I hope it can be fixed without too many problems. Once I put a cigarette paper around the tenon the seal was better and it played nicely up and down. The mouthpiece is a nameless thing which most probably is a tenor mouthpiece , the people who have seen this thing for the last time (probably my friend) recorked for this mouthpiece and no Alto mouthpiece in my possession would fit. It plays very nicely. It has a powerful voice although having a clarinet-like sound int he higher register. The Playing position is very odd for me but I am very happy that I finally can have a go at playing a C melody.
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by warp x View Post
    Congrats!
    Bedankt! Thank you..... It really is a nice horn and, in spite of what everybody has ever told me that C-Melodies sound stuffy and monotone, it has some powerful sound. Again it can be the novelty aspect of it but I am happy! Perhaps I am a little concerned about the repair because if it can be repaired without having to look for a new socket then it's alright, but If I need a new socket then I guess I need to see someone who can fabricate one for me (since this size won't be readily available unless someone has one laying around and I doubt that) in that case I guess the most likely options are expensive.
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

So what mouthpiece are you using?

it's very early days! I have been trying it with the mouthpiece it came with (nameless seemingly tenor piece) and wow! But first of all needs to be repaired, then we'll see.

Cheap solution is to try the Rico pieces, those work well on my Buescher, as far as I can tell. (The horn needs a complete overhaul)

this piece I have at moment is not bad at all, really! My horn really needs only to address that problem with the receiver but it does play even though it has only some minor leaks. I am gonna have it overhauled because the silver and gold wash are very tarnished and the pads are very old (but not original) so I think I am going to have it done completely instead of having a partial repair.
    BTW, you said that you are gonna have the case redone? who does this?

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    this piece I have at moment is not bad at all, really! My horn really needs only to address that problem with the receiver but it does play even though it has only some minor leaks. I am gonna have it overhauled because the silver and gold wash are very tarnished and the pads are very old (but not original) so I think I am going to have it done completely instead of having a partial repair.
    BTW, you said that you are gonna have the case redone? who does this?
    Well, actually I'm going to use a Reunion Blues tenor bag that I have. The zipper is gone, so I'll have to have that replaced. I don't think I'll use the orginal case, because of the smell.
    There is a guy called Wentold (not sure about the spelling) at the Nieuwezijds Kolk that does leather repairs.

on the other hand there's http://www.aquilasax.com which sells hard cases and soft gigbags for very little money

Yes, that will be an option if the RB bag doesn't function for the cmel.

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Well, I bought myself a Harwood Jenkins C-Melody SN 93XXX it looks very nice and it is for sure a Buesher stencil, silver plate and gold wash in the bell, just a little less sophisticated than a Buescher since it misses the pearls on the touches. My guess is that it is a 1925 (?) for the similarities with Buescher models of this vintage but I have no real reason to be sure about that specifical year. ......
    here it goes, some pictures of the culprit

still trying to negotiate a good sound on this (but then again I am still a novice at many things saxophone! ) I am experimenting with mouthpieces and reeds.