P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: doubling tenor and bari

Default doubling tenor and bari

Greetings, I just got a bari again and got it up and playing well. It's an old Bundy and it plays very free.Here's the problem...after playing it for an hour, I couldn't get a good sound out of my tenor.At least not for 15 minutes or so. Any tips on making the switch easier or does it just take practice? Any rule of thumb on tip openings and reed strengths to make it easier to go back and forth? I really want to double bari but not if it's going to affect my tenor sound!

Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire Helen's Avatar

I'm sure others will have lots to say on this subject, but I'll start this off with my 2 cents worth...

Doubling should not affect your sound adversely. In one of the bands I play in, I double on tenor and bari. No problems at all. Yes, it does take time for you to get you bari chops, and remember to play bari like a bari player rather than a tenor player doubling on bari. The switching back and forth will come in time as well.

I don't worry about tip openings, reeds, or anything like that. I have the bari set up that I want/need, and the tenor set up that I want/need. Each produces the sound I'm looking for.

Practice...Practice...Practice...And have fun doing it!

PS: In another band I play soprano, tenor, and bass. No problems there either. For me the biggest challenge is to find enough time to keep my embouchure & skills on all the horns I play. If one falls by the wayside, it is usually soprano.

Thanks Helen ! Oh, I should add that for almost 10 years all I played was bari. It's just the back and forth I'm having trouble with. Tenor to bari...no problem. Bari to tenor...not so good.

Thanks Helen ! Oh, I should add that for almost 10 years all I played was bari. It's just the back and forth I'm having trouble with. Tenor to bari...no problem. Bari to tenor...not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    remember to play bari like a bari player rather than a tenor player doubling on bari.
    Amen. That is worth reading again... and again.

Once you're got the chops down, it's often more a matter of concept that gets in the way of being an effective doubler.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

So what exactly would be the conceptual difference playing bop tunes on a tenor and bari.? For the record, I'm going for more of a Leo Parker than a Gerry Mulligan. On the record with Leo on bari and Dexter on tenor what would you say are the conceptual differences?

When I read that back it sounds kind of confrontational.I don't mean it that way at all; I'm trying to learn something here, not challenge anybody.