P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What is your Vintage Conn Setup?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: What is your Vintage Conn Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbnm View Post

The horn is a Conn Stencil with 6M features, including a simplified neck tuner. The keys are forged but the tone-holes aren't rolled. The model number they gave it for Sears was "42M".

Attachment 1676

Tenor: 1927 Chu Berry Artist Special Goldplated, HR Berg Larssen .115 M3, RJS 3s

Soprano: 1924 New Wonder I Silverplate, Meyer m7, La Voz M

I LOOOOOVE my horns!!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member and Engraving Artist Extraordinare Jason DuMars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dshook View Post
    "Conn Cobra" aka "The Flying Metal Mouthpiece"
    This had me laughing so hard! That is hilarious!! I almost lost a few teeth to that!!

I have a 1925 silver plated alto, Selmer C* m/p, Rico Royal #3 reeds, Conn Reso pads.
    Yanagisawa A-901 alto w/92 bronze neck, Vandoren AL-3 mouthpiece w/Bonade lig, La Voz med reeds
    Keilwerth SX90R black nickel tenor, Yanagisawa 5 mouthpiece, Bonade lig, La Voz med reeds
    Yanagisawa T-901 tenor
    Sankyo Etude flute
    Miyazawa flute

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

1936 10M (or tranny, depending on whether you believe it can be a 10M without the 10M stamp), flat metal resonators, Tenney BP Link Tone Edge 7 or Tenney Link STM "Hollywood".

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010

C-Melody, 1922 New Wonder, Silver-plated, rolled tone holes, good microtuner. G# is smooth bar. SN 947xx. Pads are shot. Original HR mpc. Leaks like a sieve.

Bb Tenor, stencil, "H. Bettoney", nickel-plated, no pearls on keys. SN P89xx. Straight tone holes, drawn, not soldered. G# is little round key. Pads are shot. Have not even tried to play this one yet. I'm guessing 1919-1920 for year.
    D.R.
    Martin and Grassi tenor. HR Link Phil-Tone. Grassi jade alto.

Check out my signature.

Thumbs up Re: What is your Vintage Conn Setup?

Tranny Tenor, Lady Face, white roos, brass resonators. Just got it yesterday. Full overhaul, lacquer ~95%

Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke. Bootman's Avatar

Conn Tranny Bari, 1932, Lamberson 8DD Bonade lig and 3 1/2 plasticover (will bury Trumpets at 100 yards). Domed metal resos, Conn ring pads and non destructive front F key.

Conn Tranny Tenor, 1934, Ponzol M2 modified (135 tip) plasticover 4 reeds or Guardala King or NY Link (same reeds). Standard Conn reso pads.

Conn Tranny Alto, 1932, NY Meyer 6 with 3 1/2 Javas or 3 Rico Royals. Modified JJ to 90 tip Blue alto mpc, Rovner lig and same reeds. Domed Metal resos on Conn ring pads.

Conn Bass, 1923 silver plate with Modified Conn Eagle Bass and Rico Royal 3 reeds. Mpc Domed metal resos on Conn ring pads.

Conn C melody 1291, with Ny meyr C melody Mpc modified by JVW with tenor reed #3 rico royal. Conn ring pads and domed metal resos. This is only trotted out on special occasions.

All my Conns have been fully stripped and rebuilt, body straightened, all rolled tone holes lifted up and levelled without filing. These Conn are as good as if not better than brand new horns. They all have the sound. It is amazing what a sax section with a couple of Conns in it sounds like and the power it can produce to overcome a brass section.

62 Conn 10m no face , underslung double socket, extra neckstrap hook added(lower) normal leather pads plastic domes, recent tuneup at the shop. .I use F.L. ligatures on all mpc's.Reeds aren't that critical I sand and glaze my own and start one size bigger than I can handle.Iv'e been useing 8 reeds for the last year I'm not a pro playing all the time.I sofar have used bassclarinet Lavoz but better Alexander's and Zonda's and once in awhile some sanded down plastic Legers.Switched from my Morgan to A Custom Conn Steelay by Jary great mpc richer fatter louder, huge chamber and baffle is perfect size and match for my 10m.
    Last edited by Gene; 12-23-2008 at 03:59 PM.

1931 transitional tenor (247 xxx), nickel, no engraving;
    STM 6*; ZZ 2.5.

Channelback

1961 Conn 10M
    Double Socket Neck
    Normal Leather Pads w/ Plastic Domes
    Most of the lacquer is gone, darn near bare brass, and I love it!
    For legit playing I use a Geo M. Bundy mouthpiece, which is really a hidden, low-cost, jewel. For fun I've got a HR/Plastic Brilhart Level Air

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Due to arrive this week (and I can't wait):

Conn NW I Alto, 1923 S/N 122,948, satin silver & gold wash bell near 100%

Prestini pads with domed resos,

Restoration, repading & new corks and felts by Shen-Valley Band Instrument of Harrisonburg, VA

Possible mpcs: Ebolin 4, Selmer Super Session D, or Martin vintage HR

Reeds: Vandoren trad, Vandoren V16, Hemke, La Voz, RSJ, Java, ZZ

Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

Distinguished Member John_Dikeman's Avatar

Just bought this Tranny from vintagesax.com, will pick it up in a week.
    http://www.vintagesax.com/images/conn249t.jpg

Will use my usual Frank Wells(?) refaced Florida Link 10 and RJS 2M or similar reed...

Bootman: That's a monster tenor set-up, 135 tip and 4 plasticovers... Does that mouthpiece have some unorthodox reface that makes that possible or are you just Superman? Do you have any clips with that set-up?

Tenor tranny with LAW 7** IV and 2 1/2 V16's with light Rovner lig.
    Last edited by BIG B Convert; 08-18-2008 at 04:47 AM.
    But I love my CONN'S!!!

Here's mine!

1928 Conn F-Mezzo (one of the first few according to my research).
    100% Original satin silver plate, original mouthpiece, ligature, cap, lyre, cork grease and case.
    Conn Res-O-Pads

Love this horn!

Steve P

Distinguished SOTW Member

1955 Conn 6M underslung ladyface Artist, non-RTH, non-microtuner, double socket neck tenon, rivet pads with no resos. Just back from a checkup at the tech, and playing great on my usual mouthpieces. I would love it totally if I had a extra, lowered neck strap ring to make it hang corrrectly, and if I added a set of Palm Key Risers to the left hand (and my hands are small!). Plays every bit as good as my other pro altos, yet different in its own way. Great fat tone; it would probably scream with good resos, but the pads are in too great a shape to change for a long time. Left hand pinky keys are no hassle at all, though...

1968 Conn 10M underslung Artist, non-RTH and non-ladyface, double socket neck tenon, crinkly Noyek resos. Hot tenor, big, loud, spread sound. Still deciding which of my pro tenors I love best, as I have been an alto player for 42 years but a tenor player for only a short while. Just back from a checkup at the tech also, and playing extremely well on middle-of-the-road mouthpieces while I get accustomed to it better. Again, if only it had another lower strap ring...

Sax Magic

Tenor - 1945 silverplated 10M with standard tan pads and silver Resotech resonators. The horn had been overhauled by Ernie Sola who made a number of modfications to improve the ergononmics, including moving the strap hook, adding a Selmer style thumb hook and re-angling the neck. I am using a Morgan Excalibur 8*EL with either Francois Louis 3 or Robertos Winds 3S reeds and an Optimum lig.

Alto - 1932 Tranny currently being overhauled by Les Arbuckle. It will have brass Resotechs. As for mouthpieces, I have several to try including a Vandoren V16 (with combo job by "The Mouthpiece Guys"), a Morgan Excalibur 7E and a Conn Comet 7.
    Update:

On tenor, I'm now using either a Mouthpiece Cafe Bergonzi Slant or Phil-
    Tone Custom Link with LaVoz Med.

My Tranny Alto is done and terrific (now if only my Alto chops were terrific). It seems to work best with either a Conn Comet 7 or Tenney Link Tone Edge 6*
    "You must not abandon the ship in a storm because you cannot control the winds... What you cannot turn to good, you must at least make as little bad as you can."

Forum Contributor 2012
    SOTW Saxophone Whisperer
    Distinguished SOTW Technician

Silver Chu Alto (229xxx)
    White roo Pads (I think I am going to be going to a different Pad soon)
    RPC .95 Java 2 1/2

--Benny Hil
    l2011 Hunter Soprano
    1956 Selmer Mark VI Alto
    1929 Conn Chu Alto
    2012 Viking M58 Tenor
    2012 Viking M58 Baritone
    1924 Buescher Bass
    1969 - Very Understanding Wife
    Haynes Flute / Weissman Headjoint
    Weissman Piccolo
    Buffet Festival Clarinet
    Buffet Prestige Bass Clarinet

'64 10m, Morgan 7L with Plasticover 2-1/2 reeds.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast