Sax on the Web Forum banner

Wondering at value of Dolnet bari

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  AhCheung 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not looking to sell this horn, but I do want to get a ballpark estimate of what it might be worth -- for insurance purposes, and to know how much I need to protect it like a mother hen, etc.

It's a Dolnet "Bel Air" bari, apparently from the 1960's, serial number 753xx. This also is consistent with the previous owner's statement that it is "a little older than he is", and he was born in the late 60's.

I've had this horn for about 12 years, and it is a tank. You can see that it's had plenty of mileage, and the finish is not in particularly good condition. There are no major dents but there are lots of small ones, and the bell brace has quite clearly been separated and re-soldered, possibly more than once. Various key guards have also been re-soldered. The damage to the finish is visible, but not terribly disturbing since the lacquer is in pretty sad shape anyhow. The guard for the right hand stack key rods has been moved up a couple inches, which suits me fine as this is where the horn actually hits me in the leg while seated, as well as protecting the vulnerable low A linkage. The tape patches visible in the bell are there because the low A is quite sharp.

This horn has a nice sound to it, but it is somewhat clunky mechanically. Most notably, the low C# is not articulated, so those jumps from C# to B, Bb, or A are quite tricky. The springs are also fairly stiff, but for the road warrior that it is, I'd prefer they stay that way.

More pics are available at http://mal-2.com/sax

I noticed the "emergency pad" visible in that last pic, and have already changed it since the pictures were taken.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
It does weigh a ton. Compared to the wonderful M7 I played in college (I was the first to ever play it, I pulled the wedge corks off the keys myself -- wish I could have kept it!), it's immediately obvious how much heavier this is. That's why I said it's a tank.

It's not perfect, with the non-articulated C# and short low A lever, which is a real squeeze if using it without the assistance of the LH cluster, and it's certainly not up to the caliber of that Mark VII. But it is mine.

#5 ·
Nice pics! I also have a Dolnet low A bari. It has a big, gorgeous voice and the response is pretty good. The keywork is a little clunky, but manageable. My biggest challenge is the intonation. I have the best luck with large chambered pieces--either a vintage STM or a Jary Custom piece. I've tried baffled pieces and they're terrible. But I'm pretty new to the bari and still trying to figure out a good setup for me. What mouthpiece and reeds have you found to play best on your horn?

On valuation, I traded for mine. The prior owner paid about $1000 for it on Ebay. It is not in as good condition as yours. I'd put yours at $1400-2000 since it appears to be in nice and fairly original condition. That's a tough horn to value, though, because it is so rare and even Dolnet tenors can vary greatly in value depending on condition and other factors.

#6 ·
I'm also using a 7* Link STM (that's what's in the pictures), and the reeds are blue-box Vandoren 2 or 2 1/2. It is about the only unbaffled mouthpiece I use on a regular basis, on any horn.

I forgot to mention that the neck "cork" is currently waxed nylon, even though I'm reasonably competent at re-corking necks. It's just that there's a fairly sizable dent in the neck I need taken out first, and the waxed nylon actually works pretty well in the interim.

Does anyone happen to know why most baris are built with the coil hanging out to the left (from the player's perspective)? I rather like the way it's done on this horn, which puts it on my right side. First, it gets the coil out of my face, making it easier to read off those oh-so-stylish short, non-adjustable music stands. Second, it's a very convenient place to grab for putting the horn back on its stand, or taking it off (which is why it's taped up for a better grip).

#7 · (Edited)
Does anyone happen to know why most baris are built with the coil hanging out to the left (from the player's perspective)?
Excellent question to ask in the bari section! SMLs are like your Dolnet too and I've seen a Noblet (Leblanc or Beaugnier made, not sure) like that as well.

I think this quite difficult to find a low A bari in good playing cond. for under 2 grand these days (maybe a Yani stencil but they are small bore and have nothing to do with what you've got soundwise!! maybe a Weltklang if you're lucky but not as solid as yours by far). I'd say stick to it if you can afford -- and carry -- it, I couldn't , and enjoy that beast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.