Sax on the Web Forum banner

Best mouthpiece for a tenor Conn Chu Berry

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CONN-hunter 
#1 ·
First of all, this is my very first post, so, Hi everyone!

I'm currently playing a tenor Conn Chu Berry with a hard rubber Berg Larssen .115. I love the big fat sound, but I was having some tunning issues so today I borrowed a mouthpiece from a friend. I tried a metal Berg and the problem disapeard inmediatly, so I'm in the market for a new mouthpiece. I'd love to hear your opinion about good pieces to try out, mouthpieces that in your opinion go well with chu berrys for some straight ahead jazz

#2 ·
Hi Orbit, I play a Chu Berry tenor and currently use a Saxscape extra Dark which tunes wonderfully on the Chu. Great Mpc.

I have also used Otto Link NY Metal and rubber Tone edge as well as Brillhart Tonalin with excellent results. The Chu is a great horn. Good luck with search and check your tuning but the mpcs above I know for a fact work very well on the Chu

#3 ·
Actually I was just thinking about a metal Otto Link NY. I've never tried one, but I heard they have this big fat, little dark sound that I love. It's great to hear that this one has worked well for someone else with the same horn. Thanks for the reply!

#4 ·
I swear by the my NY 7*. It's the most horn friendly mouthpiece I've ever used, and yes it is somewhat dark and husky. Chu's (and most vintage horns of the era) benefit from mouthpieces with large chambers. All of the Link STM's are good options along with Rascher pieces. I use an STM with my Chu alto, and that has also worked well. If you do a little searching, you can find the original Conn Eagle mouthpieces for decent prices.

#5 · (Edited)
If your berg has a 0 or 1 chamber size then this is why you are having intonation issues.. vintage horns were designed to be played with big chamber mpcs.. surely the stm ny is a fine option.. I find that is a dark mpc but you can get it playing a bit edgier if you also use a fibracell reed on it.
Try many in a shop and choose, or buy a really cheap one in ebay.. I haven't played an stm ny that was bad; sometimes the facing or table might not be perfect but that doesn't matter unless you are a mouthpiece nut..

#6 ·
I think a "normal" Link has a chamber big enough for the Chu. Links and CONN´s work wonderful together.
Nevertheless I purchased a customized Link STM with enlarged chamber for best tuning and in fact the intonation is improved. Only that the MPC don´t can be pushed too much on the cork only a litle more than 1,5 cm and for this reason the cork must be thicker as normal for stability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.