Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

Default Re: Phil Barone Tenor Saxophone review

Quote Originally Posted by Nitetimer View Post
    I don't see where resale matters that much when compared to something like a Ref 54. You could easily lose $2000. + on a used Ref when it starts to show some wear plus look at how much money is tied up from the initial purchase. $5300 @ USA Horn as an example. Looks like you could probably give your old Barone away and still not lose as much.
    So true! I bought my Ref 36 tenor with only a couple scratches on the bell and a smidge of acid bleed where bell meets bow for $3200 on Ebay, and that's with a second Selmer neck in the deal. Whoever turned that horn in to the pawnshop that listed it must have taken a HUGE hit. Were I to want to turn around and sell this, I might about break even, as another 36 Tenor in nice shape just sold for $3300.

Looking forward to the clips!
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan C. View Post
    I have played a straight Soprano, and I liked it. However I am courious about a curved Soprano.
    I have a gorgeous gold-plated curved soprano that smokes at a discount right now. Phil

hey phil, do you ship to canada?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

chengda85, you can send Phil an eMail directly.

Is anyone playing one of the Mark VI copies that Phil had available recently? It would be great to see a review, however brief.

I just bought one of his PB MAC 8 horns. Check out my review of it here.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=102947

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chengda85 View Post
    hey phil, do you ship to canada?
    Sure, I ship worldwide. Phil

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Question Re: Phil Barone Tenor Saxophone review

Has anybody compared Barone soprano to the TK Melody soprano that Terje sells?

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Barone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan C. View Post
    I have played a straight Soprano, and I liked it. However I am courious about a curved Soprano.
    I have a gorgeous gold-plated curved soprano that smokes at a discount right now. Phil
    Can you get spare parts for your horns? Sometimes they may be needed.

Red

whoops........

To the OP- Your articulate review played a role in inspiring me to order a Barone tenor myself recently, and I too am pleased. I posted a review of my specimen in this forum as well.
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

Blimey, is it really 2 years since writing my review!? It feels like almost 2 years since I've even been on this forum properly regularly... actually, it is! I was having a conversation with another player a few days back and he was asking about my tenor, and if I have any others etc. It reminded me of that fact that I never got back to post an update of the Barone tenor on here. Well, I made a conscious effort to get back here and get around to it. After 2 years of being all over the place work wise, and also out of music for a few months (but working again now, fully healed) it makes you appreciate the constants. And in those 2 years, one thing constant whilst playing/touring and recording, has been the Barone Tenor I wrote about.

As for an update on the horn itself? Well, considering the amount of playing it has had to do, it's been brilliant. I've only had one pad changed, and had to change the spring tension a few times in those 2 years. Aside from that, it still blows wonderfully. I was about to comment on the bodywork and remembered that my review of the Barone was of a bare brass model. I returned that to Phil within a week as I was too concerned about the bare brass finish, and he returned me a standard finish model. I was not overly concerned about the horn that arrived being different to the bare brass, and I was correct not to have been. It played just as well, if not even nicer (somehow!?) down below. So, the bodywork has started to fade in the usual places you 'd expect, but that isn't a problem considering this is my (as you American's like to say) main axe. Palm D, bell where the belt may rub from trousers etc... The lacquer is fading in those places, and also a little under the main left hand tone holes from saliva running. I should have made more of an effort to clean up the horn, but sometimes after late night work, you're tired and..... Well, you've all been there no doubt

Am so glad I bought this horn a few years back, as I'd not want to part with it ever. Haven't tried the newer models from Phil, but don't need to.

Apologies for never having put up any recordings prior to this as I promised to a few years ago. Hence, here a few recorded in the last month. The vocalist agreed to letting me pop them onto a site that allows you to listen, but under a different name. She's using the tracks as demos.

The songs very much contrast, and allow me to, showing how versatile the horn is. One track is a vocal jazz ballad, and the other an R'n'B cover of a song released a few years back now. On the latter, there is no solo, but the intro has a sax break, and from 3 mins onwards, I let a few lines rip. Very different from the first piece.

http://soundcloud.com/il-padrino-1/the-nearness-of-you
    http://soundcloud.com/il-padrino-1/american-boy

Hope this finds one and all very well, and hoping that the old crowd are keeping well.

Phil, if you see this, all the best to you.

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
    Blimey, is it really 2 years since writing my review!? It feels like almost 2 years since I've even been on this forum properly regularly... actually, it is! I was having a conversation with another player a few days back and he was asking about my tenor, and if I have any others etc. It reminded me of that fact that I never got back to post an update of the Barone tenor on here. Well, I made a conscious effort to get back here and get around to it. After 2 years of being all over the place work wise, and also out of music for a few months (but working again now, fully healed) it makes you appreciate the constants. And in those 2 years, one thing constant whilst playing/touring and recording, has been the Barone Tenor I wrote about.

As for an update on the horn itself? Well, considering the amount of playing it has had to do, it's been brilliant. I've only had one pad changed, and had to change the spring tension a few times in those 2 years. Aside from that, it still blows wonderfully. I was about to comment on the bodywork and remembered that my review of the Barone was of a bare brass model. I returned that to Phil within a week as I was too concerned about the bare brass finish, and he returned me a standard finish model. I was not overly concerned about the horn that arrived being different to the bare brass, and I was correct not to have been. It played just as well, if not even nicer (somehow!?) down below. So, the bodywork has started to fade in the usual places you 'd expect, but that isn't a problem considering this is my (as you American's like to say) main axe. Palm D, bell where the belt may rub from trousers etc... The lacquer is fading in those places, and also a little under the main left hand tone holes from saliva running. I should have made more of an effort to clean up the horn, but sometimes after late night work, you're tired and..... Well, you've all been there no doubt

Am so glad I bought this horn a few years back, as I'd not want to part with it ever. Haven't tried the newer models from Phil, but don't need to.

Apologies for never having put up any recordings prior to this as I promised to a few years ago. Hence, here a few recorded in the last month. The vocalist agreed to letting me pop them onto a site that allows you to listen, but under a different name. She's using the tracks as demos.

The songs very much contrast, and allow me to, showing how versatile the horn is. One track is a vocal jazz ballad, and the other an R'n'B cover of a song released a few years back now. On the latter, there is no solo, but the intro has a sax break, and from 3 mins onwards, I let a few lines rip. Very different from the first piece.

http://soundcloud.com/il-padrino-1/the-nearness-of-you
    http://soundcloud.com/il-padrino-1/american-boy

Hope this finds one and all very well, and hoping that the old crowd are keeping well.

Phil, if you see this, all the best to you.
    Sounds great! What model is it?
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Glad you like it

When I bought it, Phil only had the one model at the time. I believe he introduced the second model around a year later, although he'll no doubt put me straight on that. Am assuming the original model was the 'classic'. He'll verify it for you if you contact him. I'm based in London, so he should remember selling one of his first saxes to me back in March 09.

Nice clip!

YouTube clip MySpace

Very nice playing, and the lady singer's nice as well.What setup are you using?

Thanks for posting.

Very nice ballad, tasteful and great playing! The second is very different but great playing on there as well.

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
    Glad you like it

When I bought it, Phil only had the one model at the time. I believe he introduced the second model around a year later, although he'll no doubt put me straight on that. Am assuming the original model was the 'classic'. He'll verify it for you if you contact him. I'm based in London, so he should remember selling one of his first saxes to me back in March 09.
    It sounds like a Classic to me.
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Quote Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
    IP,,
    Thanks alot for the informative review.I think it will bring afew people off the fence for sure.I am currently trying to figure out which finish I want and if I want a tenor,alto or both.

Great read,,thanks again

Satin Laquer in tenor is incredible:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...-Lacquer-Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by SactoPete View Post
    Even better, a sound clip vs other horns... I'd love to hear this sound people are talking about.

Pete
    Here are some barone soprano clips:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Clips-At-Last-!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast