Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Dolnets

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
A few months ago I wrote asking about the new Dolnet saxophones probably made in China or maybe other Asian country. No one here seemed to know anything about them.

I was looking for something so I went to a website of a local store, and by coincidence what do I see.... new Dolnet saxophones, clarinets, flutes and brass instruments. They even have a wood bass clarinet. I haven't seen any of the clarinets and flutes yet, but as I probably mentioned before the saxophoens are absolutely the worst I've ever seen. Bad sound, horrible build "quality", and impossible intonation problem (notes from A2 above play about semi tone sharp).

They are not even as cheap as I thought they would be. A "darkened" alto model (probably mean black lacquer) costs about the same as a student Jupiter, which isn't great but much better than the Dolnets. The regular Dolnet alto is cheaper and I found it for about half price in some online only shops (eventhough it clearly states it is by the store as the distributer).

Too bad they are selling this junk and especially with that name on it!

#2 ·
very nasty indeed, I wonder if they just use the Dolnet trademark unlawfully or if they have became the owners of the trademark (or simply noticed that it wasn't registered anymore....). Well the important thing is to be on the lookout and warn people from these " new" Dolnets. I wonder if this isn't only an Israeli thing since I can't find any trace on the internet. Could it be that some Israeli shop resurrected the brandname and started importing some cheap rubbish under this name?

#3 ·
Milandro, I really don't know. Do you have any idea how to find if the Dolnet name is owned by anyone? I also have no idea if it's only here but no one on SOTW or anyone I know in other countries have heard of these new Dolnets. So I guess it's possible the store resurrected the name, but I don't know.

I'll keep explaining about them to any potential buyers who ask me about saxophones.

#4 ·
Hi Nitai, erev tov! Every country has a system to register trademarks and copyright and, prior to registration of a new design or trademark, one usually hires firms specialized in the research on the trademark one wants to register for a special country or the whole world.

In general these things are done by some specialized law-firms commissioned to the purpose. The research and registration always costs some money, price for this service varies. Legislation is very complicated throughout the world so one needs to look into this matters.

On the face of it, there's no trace on Internet of any modern Dolnet saxophones, and this might very well be just the initiative of a local shop which commissioned some Chinese factory to deliver saxophones with a Dolnet trademark. I'd doubt a bigger operation because it would have been known by now. I run a search also on specialized Chinese company search engines and I found no match to the trademark Dolnet there (it just means that nobody advertizes their chinese products as to be a Dolnet on thise sites)

I think it is possible that the trademark isn't owned by anybody anymore.

#6 ·
Good Question! We'll have to wait for Clarnibass to tell us about it, but I don't think so. If these horns are the oriental horns that we suspect they are (and how could it be different?) they are not going to look very different from the middle of the road horn, a copy of a Selmer or Yanagisawa horn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.