P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Advice Needed: Replacement for Yanigasawa 9 Metal Soprano Mouthpiece

Default Advice Needed: Replacement for Yanigasawa 9 Metal Soprano Mouthpiece

I have been playing a Yanagisawa 9 metal mouthpiece on a Selmer Mark VI soprano sax. It's a warm sound for a metal mouthpiece but I don't have as much control over the instrument as I'd like. In particular it's hard to play soft. Also, I'd like a little more of an oboe-like nasal sound -- but I don't want to give up the open, free-blowing feel or the power of the Yanagisawa. It’s also pretty good on intonation (for a soprano).

Would I be better off with a smaller Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece or would I find it constricting?

Or can you recommend mouthpieces by other manufacturers (including sizes and material)?

I use Vandoren V16 #3 reeds and I am very comfortable with that reed strength. I play mostly jazz. I guess I’d call myself semi-pro to pro-level.

I know there's no substitute for play-testing a bunch of mouthpieces but I was hoping some of you could steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

Default Re: Advice Needed: Replacement for Yanigasawa 9 Metal Soprano Mouthpiece

The tip opening is probably too open. More oboe? That's a first
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Default Re: Advice Needed: Replacement for Yanigasawa 9 Metal Soprano Mouthpiece

Thanks, zxcvbnm. Yes, that's what I was wondering and why I'm asking whether a Yani 7 would help. But I wasn't sure whether by going to a smaller opening it wouldn't blow as freely. Any thoughts?

As for the timbre - I'm trying to get more of the reedy sound that I lost when I went to the Yani. Though I do find the Yani a very smooth sound.

Distinguished SOTW Member Seasax's Avatar

what you may want to try is
    ( i know this may to some like a 'step back' from a yani metal piece but,)
    a selmer S-80 D with the same reeds and a fairly bright ligature. works for me, lots of control, can play FF or PP.
    Conn "27 Chu
    ---- zinner adjustatone mpc,

Thanks SearjeantSax. Do you know if the D is close to the 9 in size variables?

No, the Selmer D is closer to the Yani metal 5, which I play. It may even be smaller than the 5.

Thanks, Riojazz. Sounds like if I stay with the Yani I should go to the 7.

I bounced back and forth between a Yani 7 and 9. I ended up going with the 9 as I feel I get a bigger, richer sound with it. Spend some time doing long tones with it...get used to it....how long have you been playing on it?

How about a trade? I have a nice yani metal in a 7 opening and would like to trade it for a 9. Just drop me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Cobb View Post
    I bounced back and forth between a Yani 7 and 9. I ended up going with the 9 as I feel I get a bigger, richer sound with it. Spend some time doing long tones with it...get used to it....how long have you been playing on it?
    Thanks for the tip, Perry. Actually, I've been playing it for about 15 years. I really like the tone and the power. It's a beautiful mouthpiece. I just wanted a little more control.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_sax View Post
    How about a trade? I have a nice yani metal in a 7 opening and would like to trade it for a 9. Just drop me a PM
    Thanks, Dr. Sax. I'll keep it in mind. I want to be sure I find something I like better before I give this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Selmeralto View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Perry. Actually, I've been playing it for about 15 years. I really like the tone and the power. It's a beautiful mouthpiece. I just wanted a little more control.
    That's a pretty long time. I see you stated that you're comfortable with your current reed strength..however, have you tried going with a softer reed or even a different brand of reed?

That's a pretty long time. I see you stated that you're comfortable with your current reed strength..however, have you tried going with a softer reed or even a different brand of reed?

Hi, yes, I've tried many brands but I like the Vandorens best for the soprano. When I don't play the Vandoren V16s I use Vandoren Java 3, sometimes regular Vandoren 3's.

By comparison, on alto I have a Selmer Mark VI, a vintage Meyer mouthpiece, and I play V16s, Vandoren regular, Superial, and Hemke reeds, all 3 1/2. That setup plays like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selmeralto View Post
    Hi, yes, I've tried many brands but I like the Vandorens best for the soprano. When I don't play the Vandoren V16s I use Vandoren Java 3, sometimes regular Vandoren 3's.

By comparison, on alto I have a Selmer Mark VI, a vintage Meyer mouthpiece, and I play V16s, Vandoren regular, Superial, and Hemke reeds, all 3 1/2. That setup plays like a dream.
    Now, alto is what I've been struggling with lately. I had been playing on a yani metal 7 but found it to be a bit harsh and hard to control. On a whim, I just happen to throw the the yani HR 5 piece on that came with the horn...man, what a surprise...not as big a sound as I'd like but it's a very nice sound and most of all, it gives me great control! You never know...the answer to your problems might be sitting in your mouthpiece drawer!

Now, alto is what I've been struggling with lately. I had been playing on a yani metal 7 but found it to be a bit harsh and hard to control. On a whim, I just happen to throw the the yani HR 5 piece on that came with the horn...man, what a surprise...not as big a sound as I'd like but it's a very nice sound and most of all, it gives me great control! You never know...the answer to your problems might be sitting in your mouthpiece drawer!

Thanks, Perry. I'll rummage about.