Sax on the Web Forum banner

Would this be ok?

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  rcwjd 
#1 ·
Let's say you have a piece on order, but it will take more than 4 weeks to arrive. And, you need to learn that piece very soon. Would it be ok to ask someone for a photocopy of it to use while you waited for it to arrive? If it is, then I need a copy of the Tableaux de Provence, and my email is that0asian0guy at gmail dot com. If not, then I guess I'll have to wait ;).

#4 ·
Seconded. It's probably technically illegal but as long as you don't go around blabbing that you've illegally copied a copyrighted work (DOH!) you won't face any repercussions. And it's not like you're REALLY stealing since you've paid for the piece, your individual copy just hasn't arrived yet and you're temporarily "borrowing" a friends copy.

#6 ·
One of the purposes of the no-copying rule is so people don't use copies instead of purchasing an original copy, cheating the copyright holders from their rightful income. If you have already paid for the book, I don't see a problem. Normally you are allowed to make one back-up copy. In this case, just consider that the backup copy is being made a little early.

#8 ·
On print media, photo's, original software, music recordings, and I'm sure other stuff, you are allowed one "backup copy" as per US copyright law, I'm too lazy to search it out, but it is on the official US government website. If you no longer have the original work you must destroy the copy, per the letter of the law. Technically you're not allowed to do what your asking as you don't have the original in your possession, but technically I'm now allowed to drive within 100 yards of a school with a firearm, including city streets, am I ever going to get a ticket for it, no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.