P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Would this be ok?

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

Default Would this be ok?

Let's say you have a piece on order, but it will take more than 4 weeks to arrive. And, you need to learn that piece very soon. Would it be ok to ask someone for a photocopy of it to use while you waited for it to arrive? If it is, then I need a copy of the Tableaux de Provence, and my email is that0asian0guy at gmail dot com. If not, then I guess I'll have to wait .
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Distinguished SOTW Member themacintrasher's Avatar

Default Re: Would this be ok?

Well now since you told us about it, it won't be, because I'm a good American and I report criminals like you.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

OK legally or morally? It's not legal, but I wouldn't have a moral issue with it. You paid for it, you just want it now rather than later.

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal 2 View Post
    OK legally or morally? It's not legal, but I wouldn't have a moral issue with it. You paid for it, you just want it now rather than later.
    Seconded. It's probably technically illegal but as long as you don't go around blabbing that you've illegally copied a copyrighted work (DOH!) you won't face any repercussions. And it's not like you're REALLY stealing since you've paid for the piece, your individual copy just hasn't arrived yet and you're temporarily "borrowing" a friends copy.

Distinguished SOTW Member

I think it would be a copyright infringement regardless of what rationale one uses to justify the infringement. Ethics are ethics - I'd advise against copying any copyrighted item. DAVE
    Dave

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

One of the purposes of the no-copying rule is so people don't use copies instead of purchasing an original copy, cheating the copyright holders from their rightful income. If you have already paid for the book, I don't see a problem. Normally you are allowed to make one back-up copy. In this case, just consider that the backup copy is being made a little early.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

I agree with Gary...

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    One of the purposes of the no-copying rule is so people don't use copies instead of purchasing an original copy, cheating the copyright holders from their rightful income. If you have already paid for the book, I don't see a problem. Normally you are allowed to make one back-up copy. In this case, just consider that the backup copy is being made a little early.
    On print media, photo's, original software, music recordings, and I'm sure other stuff, you are allowed one "backup copy" as per US copyright law, I'm too lazy to search it out, but it is on the official US government website. If you no longer have the original work you must destroy the copy, per the letter of the law. Technically you're not allowed to do what your asking as you don't have the original in your possession, but technically I'm now allowed to drive within 100 yards of a school with a firearm, including city streets, am I ever going to get a ticket for it, no.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2006 rcwjd's Avatar

Are you a student? Are you using it for an educational purpose? See http://www.richardwade.net/Info.html

The code is always a good place to start when analyzing a question of law. The Fair Use Exception makes life a whole lot easier.