Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Default Re: Conn New Wonder II Alto Saxophone

Take the unit apart and have the slide part (not neck) expanded. In the short term, put cork grease in the slide.

Default Re : Re: Conn New Wonder II Alto Saxophone

Quote Originally Posted by bruce bailey View Post
    The Left pinky table is better than most of the other 20s horns but still not modern. I think you need to go after WWII to start getting modern fingerboards. I am not bothered by keywork as I have 8 different brands of altos and they are all quite different. The best thing I find about the Conn (1923) is that it is fluid in all registers. I can get a great vibrant sound that my mark VI does not have and the transitions between octaves is nice. I just sold one like it in gold lacquer that also was a stellar player. Stange as it was here at SOTW and on ebay and nobody was that interested. I sold a few other altos that were not as good players! One problem that is found with some of the older Conns is the gurggle down low. The one I sold did not have it but the one I play does. I put a small round baffle in the bow and it fixed it. With that fix, I can use any modern mouthpiece OK. The Super Session is best for me on the Conn and also on my Chu Soprano. The Conns had the front F in the early 20s and Bueschers not until about 1925 and Martins in 1928.

Effectevely, it's more comfortable than my Tranny CONN from 30's.

I've received it yesterday and... WOW ! What a sound ! What fluidity from the mechanisms (OK It has been checked by Mr HOSKINS from Junkdude) : it accepts well my MORGAN "Vintage" mouthpiece.

No intonation problem in ALL registers... The sound has somewhat "vibrant", "live" and very flexible. I have play it more than 2 hours and all nuance were audible and not as hard to come as my SELMER.

I had to put a lot of effort in the SELMER to get the best out of it...I think that CONN is more easy to "control" with great depth and presence in the sound...

It don't mean a thing (if it ain't got that swing)..." Duke ELLINGTON

Wink Re : Conn New Wonder II Alto Saxophone

Thanks to Mr HOSKINS for his "art" of packaging a sax...

This horn has arrived very well packed with lots of protection outside and inside the box... No need to insure the horn
    It don't mean a thing (if it ain't got that swing)..." Duke ELLINGTON

Wink Re: Conn New Wonder II Alto Saxophone

I just sold one like it in gold lacquer that also was a stellar player. Stange as it was here at SOTW and on ebay and nobody was that interested. I sold a few other altos that were not as good players! One problem that is found with some of the older Conns is the gurggle down low. The one I sold did not have it but the one I play does. I put a small round baffle in the bow and it fixed it. With that fix, I can use any modern mouthpiece OK. The Super Session is best for me on the Conn and also on my Chu Soprano. The Conns had the front F in the early 20s and Bueschers not until about 1925 and Martins in 1928.
    And it still is a stellar player. I occasionally get a tiny bit of gurgle down low still (I'm not used to even having notes that low, coming from a truly junk horn) and just dropping the small (balsa wood?) end plug down the bell instantly kills that for me. Damn fine horns, the New Wonders.

And damn fine trader, that Bruce Bailey!
    Ciao. [ KennyD01 on YouTube ] -->1923 Conn New Wonder Alto Sax #118,108 +Pomarico Crystal M/P -->1947 Conn 444N Big Bore Bb Clarinet #B324663L +Pomarico Diamond Crystal M/P -->1967 Boosey & Hawkes Edgware Bb Clarinet #288,983 +Mitchell Lurie Crystal & Master by Gregory Hollywood M/P

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, guys keep it on the DL. These New Wonder horns can still be had for very little money. All of these positive write ups can only increase their value.

Congrats mhouyox and Kenny D. Welcome to the NW club.

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

Great horns, especially if you want a huge jazzy sound.
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

I know this is an old thread, but that Chu of your's is so beautiful I figure even 6 months late you'd like to hear it again. Although I haven't played that many different altos I can't imagine you can top the sound of a New Wonder. To my ear it's simply incomparable, and from a mechanical standpoint it's very easy to play. Mine is a 1923 satin silver NW I in beautiful condition and I love it to death. I have a few mpcs, but like Bruce said, I find it plays best for me with a Super Session (mine is a D). I was playing a Martin Handcraft 2 stencil until I got the Conn, but I've got that up for sale now because the NW tops it all the way around.
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

I still use the NW I but the NW II I have is in nicer condition! Since I like these so much with the Super Session D, I bought a gold plated C Melody to match the gold altos. I wish my Chu soprano was gold plated but it is so nice I just can't part with it. I still have about 5 Martins but when I have a job, the Conn is the winner.

I still use the NW I but the NW II I have is in nicer condition! Since I like these so much with the Super Session D, I bought a gold plated C Melody to match the gold altos. I wish my Chu soprano was gold plated but it is so nice I just can't part with it. I still have about 5 Martins but when I have a job, the Conn is the winner.
    Aside from that awesome Conn sound, I imagine those 3 golden saxes must be a beautiful sight to see when they are standing side-by-side. Of course a silverplated Conn Sop is damn nice in the looks dept, too, so who cares if it doesn't match. Silver and Gold go together quite handsomely, just put it between the two altos for symmetry.
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

I have about 9 gold plated altos and they are all lookers. I think the Martins look the best but I can't put down a Conn any day of the week. I sold my gold Chu tenor as I like my burnished gold Martin the best. I really like silver better but these gold things just keep coming to me. I doubt I even have $10K in the 11 gold plated saxes I have....about the price of one Mark VI!

Speaking of Silver Conn Sopranos, I went to my tech's shop today to pay for the overhaul he did on a silver-plated 1923 Pan Am Soprano, SN 34,XXX. I bought it compelled by a gust of GAS from Ebay back in the spring. He did a great job and it looks beautiful. It's 4,000 numbers newer and as good or better looking than this one on CyberSax right now, only difference being that none of the tone holes are rolled whereas Bear's has 5 that are.

Unfortunately, I opted to leave it there to sell on consignment because I need the cash to zero out my credit card and can turn a reasonable profit to do it with. Also, worse than debt is that my wife would definitely kill me if I tried to finesse it into my small collection because according to her I already have too many saxes. So I decided not to tempt fate and let it go. Anyway realistically speaking, at my level of playing ability I have my hands more than full with just alto and tenor. It sure would have been nice however just to have it here to fool around with even if I couldn't play it well, but such is life when you are married and on a beer budget.

There was a New Wonder II listed on eBay that didn't meet the reserve at $770. Serial number M178811 l. Any thoughts on what this horn is really worth. From pics (many) it appears in exc playable condition.

Bruced when you say "a small round baffle in the bow" what exactly do you mean. Is it a ball bearing or something. Can you tell me what it is made of and why "round". Thanks

I found that a bottle cork or something of a similar size works well. Some craft shops sell small wooden eggs that are about right.

darn! Im looking for vintage conn alto! I want to be a CONNman!!!
    Yana A880. Bellite Cus 7, FL lig w Fibrecell Med. Sel C** BG gold plat lig w premier 3
    Conn NW I tenor. Lebayle Jazz w Java 3 or MB II w Fibrecell med hard
    Conn NW 1 Sop. Sel C* legere 3. Yamazuki straight sop. Bellite 8 w Plasticover 2

Insert cutesy caption du jour here TommyD69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bLu3sU3d3 View Post
    darn! Im looking for vintage conn alto! I want to be a CONNman!!!
    Get a hold of the Junk Dude...... He has LOTS.... that's where I got mine!!!
    Musical Theory of Relativity: E=Fb

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar

What is the difference between the CONN 6M alto and the NW chu berry altos? Is there tonal differenes? intonation differences?
    I'm torn as to which one to get...

Thanks,

R

Default Re : Conn New Wonder II Alto Saxophone

Hello,
    Beautiful horn!
    I am so happy to have understood what a tranny is that I can tell you that your horn is a chu (= NW II) but not a tranny (look at the right hand upper key).
    keep playing!
    By
    Steph

So, I am not sure if it's me or others as well ....

I get more happiness playing my Conn Wonder Alto compared to Selmer Mark VI 68xxx.
    There is something about the sweet-buttery tone of Conn in all registers, which Mark VI has as but in a different flavour. I can take Conn wherever I want and the tone stays with me. (Abstract, huh! Hard to describe anyways)

For me, Conn Wonder wins over Mark VI. And I can play fast fluid with Conn as well, no problem!

Thoughts, comments???

Peace n' Harmony,
    VaMi
    Tenor Mark VI 191xxx & Viking M40 CB with Aizen LS 7* or Gerber Vintage 7 | Alto Mark VI 68xxx & Conn Wonder Alto with Gregory 4A-16 or Fobes Nova G 4A-18 | Soprano Antigua Winds S991 & Yani S6 VSP with Fobes Nova SC C* | Ligs Saxxas or Olegature [I Love My Instruments ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12