Sax on the Web Forum banner

Andy Farber & his Orchestra @ Birdland

7K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  BarrySachs 
#1 ·
Well gang, 4 days and counting. My big band will begin a regular Sunday at Birdland in NYC. The first "preview" show will be next Sunday the 24th of February. The official run will begin Sunday, 16 March.

We have a regular saxophone section of Chuck Wilson, Sherman Irby (altos) Dan Block & Marc Phaneuf (tenors) and Jay Brandford (baritone).

Our first gig will have some subs. Mark Lopeman is in for Dan Block, Norbert Stachel is in for Jay Brandford, and Marc Phaneuf is moving over to cover Sherman Irby's alto chair whilst "young lion", Alex Hoffman, plays Phaneuf's tenor chair. I know that sounds confusing, don't worry about it. Just come to my gig (please) and eat and drink a lot.

Birdland
6-pm-8pm

stick around afterwards for Arturo O'farrell's band.

#30 ·
Hi gang. This week at Birdland our sax section lineup is as follows:

Chuck Wilson & Jay Brandford on altos
Mark Lopeman & Chris Byars-tenor
Kurt Bacher-baritone

We've got some legends in the band like Art Baron who played trombone with Duke Ellington and Chuck Wilson who played lead alto with Buddy Rich, Benny Goodman, Buck Clayton and Gerry Mulligan. Also on board is pianist Kenny Ascher (composer of "the Rainbow Connection and other Muppet Movie tunes), Brian Grice (former drummer in the Basie Band), Murray Wall (bassist with Benny Goodman), Kenny Rampton (trumpet in the Mingus Band), Jay Brandford (Mercer Ellington, Smithsonian Masterworks Orchestra, Ben Reiley) and some younger players you might want to dig.

As usual, Hilary Kole will be singing with us.

#31 ·
Alvester Garnett will be back with us at Birdland this Sunday (10 May) after a 2-week tour with Regina Carter.

We also welcome back to our trumpet section, Alex Norris. Alex used to play with us back at the West End Gate almost 20 years ago. Joining Alex in the trumpet section this week will be Irv Grossman, Mike Carubia and Brian "Flatch" Pareschi.

Ellington alum Art Baron will lead the trombone section of Wayne Goodman, Isrea Butler and Max Siegel.

Chuck Wilson (former lead-man with Buddy Rich, Benny Goodman, Gerry Mulligan and Buck Clayton) will blow lead alto. The other saxes include Jay Brandford, Kurt Bacher, Dan Block and Alex Hoffman.

Hilary Kole will sing selections from her new CD "Haunted Heart".

Hope to meet you SOTW-ers down at Birdland. Sundays at 6:00 pm.
Remember, SOTW-ers can be on my guestlist if you shoot me an email or PM.

-AF

#32 ·
Well folks, this week at Birdland we've got a treat. Dave Glasser will blow lead alto! If you haven't caught Dave, he's one of the best be-bop alto men in the business today. He played in Clark Terry's quintet for many years and before that he spent many years with the Count Basie Orchestra back when Frank Foster was the leader.

Also in the sax section will be Jay Brandford, Dan Block (with his smokin' Albert-system clarinet), Mark Lopeman and Kurt Bacher. I'm gonna bring my new baritone (actually an old Conn 12m) for some solos.

Brian Grice (formerly with the Basie Band) will play drums, and as usual, Hilary Kole will sing.

-Andy

#33 ·
This week at Birdland, alto great Jerry Dodgion will join our saxophone section. Also, Jon Hendricks (AKA "the James Joyce of Jive") will sing a few numbers.

As usual, SOTW members are welcome to be my guest. Just shoot me a PM.

-Andy

#36 ·
Well folks, Jerry Dodgion is back this week for another round with us at Birdland. Also joining Jerry in the saxophone section will be Dave Glasser, Dan Block, Mark Lopeman and Kurt Bacher.

Please come down if you're in the NYC area.

#39 ·
Tonight at Birdland, we are playing the main show. 9pm and 11:00.

Dave Glasser and Jay Brandford on altos

Marc Phaneuf & Alex Hoffman on tenors

and Kurt Bacher on baritone

If you're in NYC, fall by.

-AF

#40 ·
Tonight at Birdland, we are playing the main show. 9pm and 11:00.
Hey Andy, are you resuming your regular Sunday Birdland gig, or is this a one-shot deal? I really hope to hear you one of these days ... but it won't be today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.