P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: overtone A come out when I played middle D

Default overtone A come out when I played middle D

Hi,

I think there is a problem with my YAS-475.

when I play middle D, it is now coming out the overtone A.......
    It is just happened recently.......(I need to play much effort everytime to get it back to normal middle D).... I think there may be some air leak in somewhere.......

Please help if you have any info.

Thanks

Default Re: overtone A come out when I played middle D

If you are playing only D and the A is coming out, there might be a leak on a key between A and D (G key maybe).If A comes out when your playing another note to D, it might be the timeing of your fingering.If you close the right hand key faster then the left hand key A is going to come out easy.

In the Deep Dark Recesses of Your Mind...

Do you mean fourth line D, six fingers with the octave key pressed? If so, then if there is a fault, five'll get you ten it's the automatic octave mechanism. First turn the neck slightly and if still troublesome, you can gently bend the top octave arm on the neck. Also check that the two octave vents change over without hesitation, you might have a sticky lower octave vent pad.
    'If they give you ruled paper, write the other way' - Juan Ramon Jimenez
    www.facebook.com/kentishsax
    http://multifaithmusic.proboards.com/

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

....on the other hand, since this has happened to me as well, occasionally on at least 3 different (all tenors) horns (so I wouldn't think they were all leaking). It is, IMO, due to lack of good breath support. If you pay more attention to the breathing it doesn't happen. I have this if during a solo I slack a little with my diaphragm controll.
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Well but if it's only recently, it's probably the coordination of the octave mechanism that's off. Finger a G and then press the octave key. The vent on your neck should not move at all. The lower vent should open without hesitation.
    Then, change to fingering a high A and switch back and forth to G. Everything should move quickly and precisely.
    Also, check if the pads are truly closed when they are supposed to. You can easily check this by lightly pressing the key cup onto the vent. If correctly adjusted, this shouldn't move the pad down at all.
    "Normal people practice until they can do it but professionals practice until they can't do it wrong"
    -my dad

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I thought he was talking of an overtone produced while blowing a middle d
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    I thought he was talking of an overtone produced while blowing a middle d
    Yeah, it can have many causes. But if he could play the D without problems earlier, and this problem has only occurred lately, it's probably the octave vent mechanism that's out of alignment.
    Of course, lack of breath support will make the problem worse. That would be more apparent on a slightly out of alignment horn.
    If he hasn't played for some time and suddenly gets the problem, without having touched the horn in between time, it probably is what you were saying.

We just don't have enough information to pinpoint the exact answer .

Hey, it's my 100th post! Drinks are on me
    "Normal people practice until they can do it but professionals practice until they can't do it wrong"
    -my dad

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your information. the problem solved !!!!

Yes, it is the Octave mechanism fault. The spring in the neck is not strong enough to close the hole. It is fixed, and it play well now.

thank again.