Sax on the Web Forum banner

Libreary?

11K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Bill Mecca 
#1 ·
Right now, I have little to no money to spend on new music, and many times school takes me out of the area of the local Jazz station, and the montering on school computers, blocks most things. So its hard getting to the aritst to listen to.

What I am wondering, is the legality of borrowing cd's from the library, and taking them home to download to my Zune. To listen to on the go. I would not sell or give the music away, just personal use?

Also the people I listen to are the older parts of Jazz. Coletrane, Parker, Stitt, Cannonball, Ellington. I really don't listen to much modern stuff....

Thanks
~Carbs

Edit: Sorry about the spelling...

#29 ·
and a word of caution, if you do decide to do something illegal, talking about doing it here is really, really, REALLY stupid. These pages are propogated on servers around the world and saved forever.

borrow them from the library, listen, write down the names of the ones you like and save up for them.

#34 ·
DukeCity, your right, but my trouble is limited time... I have about three months here, so theirs not really anytime to start teaching any lessons. I am giving some now, but haven't been charging anything, so I could gain the expierence.
I don't know if I should start charging to give them.
I don't know... I will probably ask for some opinions in a few days about it.

#35 ·
Checking out music CD's from the library is a good choice. If late on the return, however, there are monetary penalties. Why not consider borrowing a friend's portable CD player or just purchase your own? That's how folks had to live in the "dark ages." :cool:

#36 ·
Borrowing from the library and ripping them to your computer is not legal- you do not own the disc and therefore is not "fair use." There are even signs saying this at the huge Quebec National library downtown. There is no way to monitor it though so people do it anyways.

Having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to an album for, say, 30 days, and then if you want to keep listening you buy the cd. This is my policy and so far it has worked- everything I listen to on a regular basis I own my own copy of.

#38 ·
Carbs, check out emusic.com. I subscribe to it and love it. It's all small and independent labels, but there is a great selection, and tons of classic jazz. Blue Note isn't represented, and that's too bad, but there is still a lot of great stuff. It's very fairly priced too, and there are no restrictions as to what you can and can't do with the files. Put them on your zune, burn them to CD, it's all good.

#40 ·
Thanks Guys like I said, I was just wondering. Sence I didn't do it, their is no hard done.
I have used emusic.com, but I don't think I would use them again. Unless I was going to download alot of Jazz very quickly, which might be a good idea. I'm not sure though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.