Sax on the Web Forum banner

Libreary?

11K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Bill Mecca 
#1 ·
Right now, I have little to no money to spend on new music, and many times school takes me out of the area of the local Jazz station, and the montering on school computers, blocks most things. So its hard getting to the aritst to listen to.

What I am wondering, is the legality of borrowing cd's from the library, and taking them home to download to my Zune. To listen to on the go. I would not sell or give the music away, just personal use?

Also the people I listen to are the older parts of Jazz. Coletrane, Parker, Stitt, Cannonball, Ellington. I really don't listen to much modern stuff....

Thanks
~Carbs

Edit: Sorry about the spelling...

#11 ·
The reason for copyright laws is to protect the muscians who make money(royaltys) from the sale of their cds. The fact that the library rents them out doesn't help the muscians cause. On the other hand,if people can sample a artist renting from the library it may lead to a future sale of that artist's cd.

#12 ·
The ability to have music whenever you like is mainly what you pay for when you buy a CD. It supports the artists, the marketing machine, RIAA etc. Borrowing from the library for personal use is acceptable to me, but recording it or copying it to an MP3 player crosses the ethics line as well as the legal one. When you take something from the library, you are borrowing it - if you burn a copy to your pc or Zune you dont ever really return it, do you?
You also mentioned 'sharing tunes through IM' as if that were legal as well - if its commercially available music that you downloaded or burned for your own use, it really is not right, legal, or ethical to share it.

#14 ·
#16 ·
A rule of thumb on this I use for myself is this: If I can possibly be listening to a copy of my music at the same time as someone else can listen to the same source (borrowed music, illegal downloads etc) then it crosses the line.
There are free places to download music though - are you aware that jazz times gives free downloads every month? www.jazztimes.com - poke around, you will find other legal and free resources.

#19 ·
We have one, in the square. I wasn't planning on going to that side of town tomorrow. Also it almost ends up cheaper at Hastings.
I know that this is kinda off topic, but I have got some good music from listening to fellow sax players on what they like.
Right now I know I need Sonny Stitt, and some more Cannonball.
Other then that, do you have any recomendations? I mostly play Alto/Tenor. I will probably add a Soprano and a Bari at one point. I also know I need to get some Tower of Power.
Other then those 4 groups/aritst are there any others you would recomend?

#20 ·
Carbs -

I don't remember, are you in college yet? Or do you at least have your college picked out and have an edu email address? If so, you qualify for Ruckus, a totally free music service with a couple of million downloadable tracks (and videos, and even games, I think) specifically for college students. My son uses it, and he says it's great. You must have a valid college email address to sign up. Here's a link to their jazz page - http://www.ruckus.com/ruckus/music/genre.do?genreId=11850.

Frank

#24 ·
Players to check out!!

You need to check out altoist's James Spalding, Art Pepper, Ernie Henry, Gary Bartz, Phil Woods, Richie Cole, Lou Donaldson,Gene Quill, Lanny Morgan,Paul Desmond.....etc ...

On Tenor, Hank Mobley, Sonny Rollins, Richie Kamuca, Stan Getz, Lucky Thompson, Joe Farrell, George Coleman, Jan Garbarek, Zoot Sims, Jimmy Forest, Bob Berg, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, Joe Lovano, Harold Lande, Johnny Griffin, Frank Foster, and all the rest!

#26 ·
I'll second Ruckus. The only thing is, you don't actually "get" the music, so you can't put it onto an MP3 player legally. There are ways around this of course, but it goes back to the library thing.

#27 ·
You are only allowed to make a copy of your cd for a bkup purpose. Copying a cd you didn't pay for is the same as downloading for free as far as the record companies are concerned.

Having said that I think it's not fair to expect music lovers to spend 10 thousand dollars on cds and then also have us go to 10-15 concerts a year spending another 1500 bucks.

I spend a lot of money on CDS but I do copy my friends cds into my mp3 collection. My collection is now about 25 thousand songs deep. I could never afford that on my own. I know it illegal but I guess with so many laws it's hard to live your life perfectly. I really don't feel bad about doing it because I know I have more then done my part to make money for the record companies. The artist all get my money at the numerous shows I go to.

To compensate I make a point of buying at least 20-30 cds a yr. Mostly I pay for all the jazz stuff I want because those dudes are poor. If I want Beyonce etc I will find someone and trade them for it.

PS this whole post was made as a fantasy and in no way can be used against me as real at anytime. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.