Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Libreary?

Default Libreary?

Right now, I have little to no money to spend on new music, and many times school takes me out of the area of the local Jazz station, and the montering on school computers, blocks most things. So its hard getting to the aritst to listen to.

What I am wondering, is the legality of borrowing cd's from the library, and taking them home to download to my Zune. To listen to on the go. I would not sell or give the music away, just personal use?

Also the people I listen to are the older parts of Jazz. Coletrane, Parker, Stitt, Cannonball, Ellington. I really don't listen to much modern stuff....

Thanks
    ~Carbs

Edit: Sorry about the spelling...

Default Re: Libreary?

It has happened a lot at the universities Ive visited to. I doubt its legal!

How could they really find out if you have downloaded from a borrowed cd? Wouldn't it be the same as sharnig music with friends through IM?

I doubt they could figure it out. Unless it has a virus on it. One school did that. That was bad. No thats completly different. Over IM would make it trackable from user to user. But the CDs you could jsut say you sold after loading them on the computer.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

It's 100% illegal in CANADA!

in fact its 100% Illegal to transfer music you own from CD to your computer for your own personal use!

Damn Harper....
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundcloud.com/seanwintersax All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

I am now trying to figure the ethical factor.
    So they really have no way of knowing how I got the music, as long as I don't really advertise that is how I did it?

Yes..

Now my question is...
    Is it ethical if it doesn't hurt anybody?
    For instance if I did that to say like James Carter (don't listen to him anyway), and I do the libeary thing, is it unethical?

Just wondering.
    ~Carbs

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Carbs View Post
    Now my question is...
    Is it ethical if it doesn't hurt anybody?
    For instance if I did that to say like James Carter (don't listen to him anyway), and I do the libeary thing, is it unethical?

Just wondering.
    ~Carbs
    depends on who's ethics
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundcloud.com/seanwintersax All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

Good ole fashioned Christian ethics.

Forum Contributor 2008

The reason for copyright laws is to protect the muscians who make money(royaltys) from the sale of their cds. The fact that the library rents them out doesn't help the muscians cause. On the other hand,if people can sample a artist renting from the library it may lead to a future sale of that artist's cd.
    It's great when your kids play sax!!!!More and more Saxophones!!!!All types and manufacturers!!!!

Forum Contributor 2014

The ability to have music whenever you like is mainly what you pay for when you buy a CD. It supports the artists, the marketing machine, RIAA etc. Borrowing from the library for personal use is acceptable to me, but recording it or copying it to an MP3 player crosses the ethics line as well as the legal one. When you take something from the library, you are borrowing it - if you burn a copy to your pc or Zune you dont ever really return it, do you?
    You also mentioned 'sharing tunes through IM' as if that were legal as well - if its commercially available music that you downloaded or burned for your own use, it really is not right, legal, or ethical to share it.
    "People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing"
    Florence Foster Jenkins

Even if the artist is no longer with us?

Please notice how I am asking the questions before I had decided to do it. I am very unsure if it is the right thing or even a moral thing to do.

Forum Contributor 2014

The artist left the rights to his music to someone in their will, or at the least it becomes part of their estate - so I would still say its not right

I do believe you are honestly seeking opinions on the matter, and I commend you for that!

Here is something for you to read:

http://http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law
    Florence Foster Jenkins

Thanks, I'm going to read that.

I guess my only option is to go to Hastings and get the cheap cd's with the artist I need to listen too.

Forum Contributor 2014

A rule of thumb on this I use for myself is this: If I can possibly be listening to a copy of my music at the same time as someone else can listen to the same source (borrowed music, illegal downloads etc) then it crosses the line.
    There are free places to download music though - are you aware that jazz times gives free downloads every month? www.jazztimes.com - poke around, you will find other legal and free resources.
    Florence Foster Jenkins

Thanks Mark, Sycc, and BariSaxenger, and little Wailer for really answering my question.

I guess I will just go get the CD's. I need the ability to listen to them in my car, and so I will have to go to hastings tomorrow to get some CD's.

Forum Contributor 2014

I know in the area where I live there are used CD stores where you can pick up some great deals, especially on some 'less popular' music like you are looking for.
    Florence Foster Jenkins

We have one, in the square. I wasn't planning on going to that side of town tomorrow. Also it almost ends up cheaper at Hastings.
    I know that this is kinda off topic, but I have got some good music from listening to fellow sax players on what they like.
    Right now I know I need Sonny Stitt, and some more Cannonball.
    Other then that, do you have any recomendations? I mostly play Alto/Tenor. I will probably add a Soprano and a Bari at one point. I also know I need to get some Tower of Power.
    Other then those 4 groups/aritst are there any others you would recomend?

Forum Contributor 2007 fballatore's Avatar

Carbs -

I don't remember, are you in college yet? Or do you at least have your college picked out and have an edu email address? If so, you qualify for Ruckus, a totally free music service with a couple of million downloadable tracks (and videos, and even games, I think) specifically for college students. My son uses it, and he says it's great. You must have a valid college email address to sign up. Here's a link to their jazz page - http://www.ruckus.com/ruckus/music/g...?genreId=11850.

Frank
    "You can play a shoestring if you're sincere." - John Coltrane

"If you can't play in time and in tune the rest doesn't matter." - Keith Ridenhour

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast