Sax on the Web Forum banner

Copyright, a pity.

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  stefank 
#1 ·
I have a question or two on copyright you might have some input on.
First question: To what extent is copyright International? I mean are the rules the same for all countries, well at least Western ones? Perhaps there are National modifications or penalties.
Second: I am visually impaired according to copyright in Australia and I need to enlarge our band`s purchased music so that I can play it. This I am told is not permissable under the act so in effect I`m discriminated against and can`t play (well effectively) with the group.
Has a problem like this arisen your country? Any solutions?:cry:

#2 · (Edited)
Ronish said:
I am visually impaired...and I need to enlarge our band`s purchased music so that I can play it. This I am told is not permissible under the act so in effect I can't play...effectively with the group.
Ronish that has to be rubbish what you were told. First, yes the copyright agreements are generally international. Normally one back-up copy of anything that was legally purchased is allowed. Furthermore, while it might not be possible for the band to make more copies, I am not aware of any laws that apply to you, once that copy is in your hands. As long as you are copying something for your own use, the original has been legally purchased, and you do not intend to sell it, there should be no problem. Who told you you can't enlarge your parts?

OTOH, even if it is correct that one part for your own use cannot be copied/enlarged (which I doubt seriously) as a visually impaired person you very likely have laws regarding people with various impairments which would supercede such an idiotic law as was quoted you.

If all else fails, contact your national government agency for the visually impaired for their guidance and support.

#5 ·
No problem (probably) - here is the relevant quote from the APRA/AMCOS website:

17. Enlargements for impaired vision
If you own original print music controlled by an AMCOS Publisher and you cannot read
the small notation because of impaired vision, you may make an enlargement
of the work for your own personal use. (See Clause 5.4)

This is the link to the document the above quote is taken from:

http://www.amcos.com.au/music-users/downloads/printmusic_2006.pdf

If the music is not controlled by a publisher represented by AMCOS in Australia, then the answer is no (that's what clause 5.4 is about), and to be legal you would need to seek permission of the particular copyright owner, but:

a) Most publishers are represented by APRA/AMCOS in Australia.

b) It would seem extremely unlikely that any other publisher would take action against a person for using an enlargement (if that person had an original copy in their possession). The bad publicity alone would be more than it was worth.

#6 ·
"international copyright"

I have a question or two on copyright you might have some input on.
First question: To what extent is copyright International? I mean are the rules the same for all countries, well at least Western ones? Perhaps there are National modifications or penalties.
Ronish,
you got an answer to your second question.
From the front of International Copyright th US government will express following opinion (read all):
There is no such thing as an "international copyright" that will automatically protect an author's writings throughout the world. Protection against unauthorized use in a particular country basically depends on the national laws of that country. However, most countries offer protection to foreign works under certain conditions that have been greatly simplified by international copyright treaties and conventions. There are two principal international copyright conventions, the Berne Union for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Property (Berne Convention) and the Universal Copyright Convention (UCC).
There are some countries that offer little or no copyright protection to any foreign works, prominently China and Russia.

#7 ·
Harri,

There are some countries that offer little or no copyright protection to any foreign works, prominently China and Russia.
Both nations are signee's of the Berne Convention, so by treaty must recognize foriegn copyright, and do offer roughly comparable copyright protection in law to the US. Enforcement may not be as ardent, but the recognition is still there.

#8 ·
Harri,

Both nations are signee's of the Berne Convention, so by treaty must recognize foriegn copyright, and do offer roughly comparable copyright protection in law to the US. Enforcement may not be as ardent, but the recognition is still there.
JfW,
thanks for the clarification.
As you pointed out, the countries I mentioned fail in enforcing.

#9 ·
I'm not so sure how much of the enforcement here in Australia is driven by State or Federal authorities, as opposed to copyright owners launching their own legal action against infringers - something that has probably been lacking in, for example, the Chinese jurisdiction. It would be interesting to see some statistics pertaining to this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.