Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Cleaning a Bari - PLS Help !

I just got a Bari from community band, but I really can't figure out how to clean it.
    I have a swab, but how the hell do I conivince it to go from the bell to the neck hole ?

Default Re: Cleaning a Bari - PLS Help !

Why do you need to clean it. I am sorry to say this, but if you are wanting to clean it thoroughly, although I think pointless, you will have to take some of it apart. Otherwise, you will need flexible swedge made of wire to get through the neck. You really don't need to clean out the whole sax.

Ian

Let me get it straight - are you saying I don't need to wipe it dry with the swab after I'm playin' ?
    Doesn't it hurt the sax ?

Nope. I only clean it out well, maybe once every two months. If I am doing minor cleaning, I Just swap out the neck, which is removeable, and empty out the spit valve, that is it.

That's great news. Thanks.

Your welcome.

Ian

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Hodge makes a swab for bari sax that goes from the neck tenon through the bottom part of the curl. I use it on my horns.

And Chu, if you get one, try not to freak out the first time you try it. Yep, that's some nasty stuff there.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Forum Contributor 2008 littlemanbighorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bari_sax_diva
    And Chu, if you get one, try not to freak out the first time you try it. Yep, that's some nasty stuff there.
    Yeah, that stuff can be pretty grim.
    1972 Mark VI Baritone to low Bb w/ JodyJazz DVNY 9
    Noblet Bass Clarinet to low Eb w/ Pomarico Jazz**

Yeah, I found some stuff in my VI when I had it. I think it was moving.

Forum Contributor 2008 littlemanbighorn's Avatar

About every six months I take a neck cleaner and wrap in paper towel and clean out the gunk. I always dread it, though.
    1972 Mark VI Baritone to low Bb w/ JodyJazz DVNY 9
    Noblet Bass Clarinet to low Eb w/ Pomarico Jazz**

Distinguished SOTW Member

Try to keep the crook clean. It can get nasty in there and the gunk can close off the register vent.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I am new to baritone, but this the routine I use before putting my horn away. I empty the first " bend" of the curl of its contents when I stop playing by means of the " spit valve" as much as possibe (move the horn from side to side, more will come out). Then I insert a alto necksaver (15 cm long) with the tip slightly bent in order to go past the first bend. I leave it there for a few minutes to soak-up whatever moisture there is.

You could even leave it there all the time but I prefer not to and I should imagine that that is a good thing to do if you are at a gig and need to put your Bari in the case quickly after playing.

The necksaver comes out clean and I wash it once a month (but you could wash it even everytime you use it, it dries very quickly).

Do not leave moisture in the bend for any period of time (that's why I don't leave the wet necksaver in the curl) especially if you live in a warm climate it is an excellent place for a number of things to grow which might make you sick.
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Thank you all!
    It's been very helpful!

This has been a most helpful thread! I put a Hodge swab through my '59 12M bari that I bought off Ebay - and Eeewwwwwwwww!! Did it five or six times - I wondered if it had ever been cleaned!! all good now though!!

Thanks for all the excellent info!!

BK

I almost throw up when I took my fibercell of the C* I use for marching band, hadn't taken it off in 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAN SAX View Post
    I almost throw up when I took my fibercell of the C* I use for marching band, hadn't taken it off in 8 months.
    Thats gross and pathetic!
    Treat your instrument better than that