P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Charles Bay Ligature

Default Charles Bay Ligature

Very Ornate. Maybe even "Pimped Out", as the kids would say....

so...

ANYONE USE THEM? Like them? Hate them?

Opinions, please?

Thanx,
    Adrian M.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Charles Bay Ligature

I used them on everything SATB and clarinets. I sold them all. They work well in practice but they stretch a lot, are very fragile and can break easily if you overtighten them. They also will scratch the mouthpiece badly unless you put a patch on the top ( very thin and sharp metal )
    They are very pretty but other than that I would say get a BG traditional or an Optimum which just work.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 Chicken 'Lil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward
    I used them on everything SATB and clarinets. I sold them all. They work well in practice but they stretch a lot, are very fragile and can break easily if you overtighten them. They also will scratch the mouthpiece badly unless you put a patch on the top ( very thin and sharp metal )
    They are very pretty but other than that I would say get a BG traditional or an Optimum which just work.
    Michael is correct, but I still think that they are great. They are really excellent on soprano and clarinet, IMHO but not so much on tenor.
    Your mileage may vary.
    Why such a large tip opening? Who are you trying to impress?
    -J. Allard

I love my Bay. Best ligature I've ever used. About what Michael said, yes, you do have to be careful with them, but it's worth it. I haven't experienced any scratching on my mouthpiece, but that might not be a common thing. IMO, Bays are the best legit ligs.
    An amateur musician practices until he can get it right. A professional musician practices until he can't get it wrong.

YAS-875EX w/ AL3 and Vandoren Blue Box

"Don't waste your time in the store...be in the studio."

- Phil Woods

I am pretty much on board with Michael as well. Best ligature I ever used, as far as response, but not worth the effort. Scratched the %^&* out of my mouthpiece and did not come with any kind of cap. I really like a cap that fits well. I find it essential when doubling and storing. Just can't live without a good, secure cap. Save your money.

Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007

i like them a lot. your mouthpeice needs to have a flat table. if the table is flat they work great.

I have a bay ligature. Yes i would agree that you have to be careful with them but i've never had any scratches on my mouthpiece. I only have one for my Alto now and I'm considering making an upgrade on my soprano from my rovner to a Bay because i need a better ligature for classical stuff on soprano. I remember trying out ligatures at WWBW back in august and I tried like two or three and practically fell in love with the bay. Its like the best. I like how my tone sounds with it so much better than with a rovner or even a standard metal 2 screw ligature. I treat it so well i even have a little thing i keep the ligature in when im not using it with tissue paper in it to protect it when im not using it. So glad i made the upgrade to a bay

I used one for years for my classical alto playing, but have more recently switched to a Bonade (inverted) that I like better. For me there was something about the things I had to do to play the Albright Sonata (double-tongue, slap-tongue, very high altissimo) that the Bay did not seem to do well with.
    Comparison is the thief of joy.
    Check out my latest CD HERE
    Visit my new website HERE

They work very well. They are very vibrant and responsive. I used them for a long time and never had any problems or issues.

Great ligatures. I have 2-screw gold-plated Bays for soprano, alto, and tenor, and would recommend them to anyone. Fantastic response and clarity of articulation. I think the only thing better is a gold-plated BG Tradition ligature, and the difference is slight.
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

I have a clarinet & rubber tnr lig, each, that I'd sell.

I have a Bay ligature for clarinet. Love it! They are delicate but you have to be careful with handling. It's well worth it.