Sax on the Web Forum banner

how do you count 32nd and 64th notes?

69K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  skeller047 
#1 ·
I cant find a good counting method. i can count 16th notes(1e&a,ect.) but how to count 32, 64th.?

#2 ·
Just subdivide.

Either that or get really into the song so you can FEEL the 32nd and 64ths. Might I suggest listening to some thrash-metal where the drummer double-kicks 32nd-notes through the entire song?

#3 ·
Okay, I'm having trouble finding counting for 64th and 128th so i know your dilemna but I take pleasure in informing that I know a method of counting 32nd notes. It's:

1e+a+e+a 2e+a+e+a 3e+a+e+a 4e+a+e+a

I actually made this account just to tell you that XD
So I may never sign back on, hope it helps.

#5 ·
Some years back, I hooked up with a friend who played French horn in one of the B orchestras in Munich, who always had interesting stories about musicians in the Legit world. That day, the conductor had approached the oboist, in an indirect attempt to ascertain why the obviously talented, Japanese, 2nd flautist (who sat next to the oboist) was losing tempo during quick technical passages. It turns out the flautist was in the habit of mentally subdividing 128th notes, no matter what tempo! They cut him back to 16ths/16th triplets, and everyone was happy. I don't know what syllables he used, but you might try Japanese, if English doesn't work for you.

#7 ·
I'm wondering when people ask questions like that if they can actually play at that level.

#10 ·
What I wonder is why count them, why not just play them? Am I missing something?

Is this impro or reading?

If you are reading a chart and there are 32nd notes, you basically start at the first note and aim for the next beat and rely on your sense of timing being good enough to get to that next beat at approximately the right time.

If you are improvising, then why worry. Don't play 32nds if you aren't comfortable.

Either way, I don't see why there is a need to count them. (Unless you are being paid per note)

#15 ·
Hey dude, you were the first poster after Necroshade revived this thread. It's all your fault for not calling him out on it. Your fault, I tell ya. Your fault! :twisted:

Oh the shame.

#12 ·
Yup, that was sorta what I was thinking...

#13 ·
Actually, he appears to have gone from HS freshman to college junior, but the point remains valid. :)

#14 ·
Strangely, I don't count fast notes. Once it's in my head, I just let that part of my mind that knows these things just handle it. I guess Pete suggested this above.

#19 ·
That's what she said.

#21 ·
Personally, I count the sixteenth beats in my head, and fill in the gaps between the 16ths. When 64ths I tap my foot in 8ths, for some reason, and subdivide the actual feel of the time, obviously in equal proportions, into four. That sounded more confusing than it is.

Find the LEAST hard time for YOU to either think or physically tap your foot too, then play off that. Being a drummer as well, I can "tap" my feet at 280 bpm, 64ths, but lets stay on the sax.....

#22 ·
Could it possibly be that the OP was asking perhaps in the sense of how one may count this in showing/teaching someone a rhythm. Playing it IS one thing. I believe most of us really don't think about it we just play. But, if your are trying to help someone who thinks in grouping things mathematically, i.e. qtr notes = 1,2,3,4 or 8th notes = 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &, and so forth. It just becomes a very logical question.

It's funny because I was just talking with a musician friend and this EXACT question was asked and neither one of could remember how it was counted when we were in college.

#28 ·
I would like to revive this thread again by noting that the OP was 14 at the time of the post and is 24 now. He's probably got it all figured out.
I googled how to count 32nd notes and this was the first thing that came up... I think I was more amused by the thread than actually learning anything.
1 e + a + e + a 2 e + a + e + a, etc., works best for me, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.