Sax on the Web Forum banner

Interesting Find - Vintage Downbeat

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BarrySachs 
#1 ·
I was cleaning up my band room today and came across a January 3, 1963 issue of Downbeat. I was so exciting that I didn't get anything else accomplished the rest of the day because I read the whole thing. Quite interesting. There is an article called: Pres and Hawk: Fountainheads of the Tenor Saxophone and one on the Paul Winter Sextet. It brought a question to my mind though, is it worth anything? Could anyone answer that question or point me to a resource that could tell me?

#2 ·
I'm currently reading a book that makes reference to Downbeat in the 40s. Sounds like it was more of a teeny bopper (bobby soxers in those days) magazine, dealing with the popular music of the time, rather than specializing in jazz as it currently does.

As far as value, try doing some searches on Google: vintage magazines, magazine collectors, etc.

#3 ·
Downbeat was a serious publication for modern jazz in the '50s through today. Back in the late '30s and through the early '60s, Metronome was the publication of choice for jazz fans. Metronome was aimed more at swing music when big bands were more popular. They never re-tooled themselves for a more be-bop oriented jazz comunity. I think they stopped publishing in '62 or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.