P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: desidera star verona tenor ?

Default desidera star verona tenor ?

Trying to find out more details on a tenor I picked up for Aud$150 (approx US$130 at the time)

Has in the engraving

Premiaia Fabrica

Star
    Desidera
    Verona

Eoortazione Mondail

Then has a triangle on the back with DL on top of each other in the triangle
    and just below it 1992.

Appears to have been fairly poorly cared for
    and is fairly well worn.
    Platting worn off

I'll try and get some photos up later

The guy I brought it off said he had left it sitting in his attic/storage for about ten years.

Put a few pics up at
    www.alexthegeek.com/instruments/desidera/desidera.html

I'm not going to directly link the images as they are fairly large
    approx 1.5MB each

Forgot to say I had the cork and octave pad on the neck
    replaced and thats it.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

First of all , I wasn't aware of a Horn " factory" (Fabbrica) in Verona but it looks like there was at least one if not a few. They might have been producing horns or simply assembling them with parts coming from Bohemian or Hungarian factories, notably Stowasser (which apparently also existed or is quoted to have had factories in Verona and Bolzano) .

The Italian used in the engraving is either misspelled or badly engraved in more that one place.

PREMIAIA is not an Italian word.

In this context you would expect the adjective PREMIATA (which means prized, a factory which has received prizes ) and clearly the engraving is wrong or incomplete (if you put a horizontal line on the last I of PREMIAIA it reads PREMIATA).

Also, what reads ENORTAZIONE MONDIAL should really be ESPORTAZIONE MONDIALE (worldwide export) probably just worn out letters or not deep enough.

Having said this on e-bay someone successfully sold a Desidera Horn

http://cgi.ebay.it/SAX-ALTO-INIZI-AN...QQcmdZViewItem

and he says, and I quote: "....Leonildo Desidera e Figli era una premiata fabbrica di Verona di epoca fascista che rilevò la rinomata Stowasser.
    ....."...(..Leonildo Desidera and sons was a prized factory from Verona during the fascist era which took over the well-known Stowasser ).

You can find some information on Desidera Instruments on italian speaking fora but is all very vague. Probably you can find more information at the saxophone museum at Quarna di sotto- Novara- (the small town where Rampone still is an Grassi was)

http://www.quarnasotto.com/il_museo.html

where, apparently, they keep a medal-holder with all the prizes and Medals which Stowasser got.....maybe they have things from Desidera too!

Good luck! and enjoy your very rare saxophone!
    Last edited by milandro; 02-02-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Thank you

So its a bit more than the cheap fixer up tenor I thought I was buying to fix up and learn on ?

Drat, makes me wish I keep practicing the Italian I learned at school
    (everyone had to learn Italian and Latin).

Typical, the other tenor I brought also as a fixer upper turned out to be a silver 1923/24 Conn 10M ??(I think from serial number T M154978 H), full of spiders webs and other crap (no neck) but other parts missing, just needs a few drops of oil and re-padding.

Haven't started even cleaning the Conn up yet properly other than a quick dust, just haven't had time.
    I'll have to buy a new sd card so I can take some pictures of it.

Quote Originally Posted by al9672
    Thank you

So its a bit more than the cheap fixer up tenor I thought I was buying to fix up and learn on ?.....
    Well.....I woulnd't rush into quick conclusions. Rare and unusual doesn't necessarily mean valuable and/or desirable. So, hold your horses.
    It is a horn worth having if you are into collecting. It is probably never going to be worth fixing up (unless you do this yourself) if not for the personal pleasure that you will get from playing it!

So, think twice before you invest in overhauling this particular horn.

Also your silver 10M, if neckless, will be difficult to match (especially because it is silver) to a suitable although non original neck (that blemish will be always apparent to any knowledgeable buyer and in all fairness, you shouldn't keep this information if selling a horn like this).

Certainly worth fixing up, for yourself. Doubtful operation if you want to resell it. The value might be just a little more than the money you need for a new neck and an overhaul.

Should you decide to go for a new neck....how about a Gloger Silver neck ? (not plate but real Silver ), it ain't cheap (I am buying one for my Super 20) but is is a serious improvement on any standard vintage neck without any of the problems of an adapted neck.
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

I wasn't thinking about value, more if it was something I should get some one with more skill than myself to fix up as I've only recently started doing sax pad changes and overhauls(more practice on clarinets).

That was the reason for buying a cheap sax($150) in the first place, to get practice on pad changes and overhauling.

Think its time to go looking for a dirt cheap sax or two to practice pad changes etc on before even thinking of touching this one.

Good luck in finding something really cheap to practice on....I think that this could be suitable but it is, of course, your call.

Tracked down a cheap alto (amati) for practicing repair /pad changing skills on.
    Last edited by al9672; 01-11-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Default Re: desidera star verona tenor ?

Quick update I sold this one to JayeSF back in July.
    Be interesting to see what it plays like once he's overhauled it.