P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year 2008 changes

Thumbs up New Year 2008 changes

Another eventful and exciting year for The SOTW Forum is behind us. The forum readership has been growing steadily and number of registered users is well on its way to 18,000. In April 2007 we upgraded to a more powerful dual-core server to facilitate our rapid growth.

We (you members and the Admin Team) have been discussing the faith of the SOTW Forum Lounge. As a step toward the final solution we made it available now only for registered forum users. The occasional forum viewers won't be able to read the lounge section. Many members have felt more comfortable if their social, non-saxophone related messages would not be retrieved by search engines.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for keeping this place busy and humming. Special thanks to our sponsors and the members who donated toward upkeep of the site. For running a tidy ship the we all are grateful to the Admin/Moderation team:
    drakesaxprof, kcp, Bill Mecca, saxismyaxe, ”Chris S.”, Hurling Frootmig and Gandalfe as the leader.

Hurling and Gandalfe are leaving the SOTW Admin team effective today. I hate to see them going. They both have volunteered their time for several years as moderators and advanced the forum and the whole SOTW site in so many ways. We all wish them good luck in their new endeavors. I am sure that they won't be strangers here, either.

Happy New Year 2008,
    Harri Rautiainen
    Last edited by kcp; 01-12-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Link to SOTW Admin Team updated

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 ianhart's Avatar

Thanks for the message, Harri, and of course thanks for this great site!

So many of my questions have been answered by the other users here, and hopefully I have helped out some others in my time here, as well.

Thanks again, and I wholeheartedly agree with the changes being made (the forum lounge ones). I will be sad to see Gandalfe and Hurling Frootmig leave the admin team, but I am sure that they will still be around here, as you also mentioned.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks for this wonderful resource and community.
    Life is too short for long tones

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harri Rautiainen
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for keeping this place busy and humming. Special thanks to our sponsors and the members who donated toward upkeep of the site. For running a tidy ship the we all are grateful to the Admin/Moderation team:
    drakesaxprof, kcp, Bill Mecca, saxismyaxe, ”Chris S.”, Hurling Frootmig and Gandalfe as the leader.
    Amen to that.

And a special thanks to Hurling and Gandalfe for your dedication and work. The time and energy you've put into keeping this place manageable can't have been easy. Although you won't be moderating anymore, I hope we can count on your continued expertise and guidance as contributors to SOTW.

And Harri - wow. Almost 18,000 readers? That says volumes about your vision and guidance. Personally, I've learned a great deal in my years here and look forward to participating and learning in 2008. My hat's off to you!!!!

Cheers! Gary

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

Three cheers for Harri and all the admin team. Aspecial thanks to Hurling and Gandalfe. As far as hall monitors go, you guys were ok.

Things we'd like to see for 2008

A swimsuit edition of the celendar

A return to animated avatars

A tribal council where we can vote people off the forum

A one on one interview with Candy Dulfer (I'll do it!)

A Rastafarian section in the Sacred Sax area

Here's to a great 2008 everyone.
    Last edited by Dog Pants; 01-02-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

I have seen more than one Conn Virtuoso Deluxe finished horn featuring someone wearing a bathing suit. If you've got one of those hors and got a camera, I'm not stopping you from taking pics for the 2009 calendar, DP.

I'm totally serious.
    Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my new blog and gallery! Latest article: 09/24/12.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist
    Forum Contributor 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    ... Although you won't be moderating anymore, I hope we can count on your continued expertise and guidance as contributors to SOTW.
    Thanks Gary! This place is way too interesting to ever really leave. And I have so many friends here that I'd be hard pressed to wander too far.
    "I played the wrong, wrong notes." - Thelonious Monk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns ~ Woodwind Forums ~ The Bis Key Chronicles

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    If you've got one of those hors and got a camera, I'm not stopping you from taking pics...
    Uh, Pete. You want to reword that?

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

SOTW Forum Adminstrator fballatore's Avatar

And please do it quickly before DP sees it...
    "You can play a shoestring if you're sincere." - John Coltrane

"If you can't play in time and in tune the rest doesn't matter." - Keith Ridenhour

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

If you've got one of those hors and got a camera, I'm not stopping you from taking pics for the 2009 calendar, DP.

I'm totally serious.
    I've given my Hors the week off to recover from New Years Eve. Made a pile of bread but the Hors are in need of a repad.

Seriously Pete, you need to edit that post.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

Just say yes to double entedres for 2008.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

SOTW Forum Adminstrator fballatore's Avatar

Before this thread gets too derailed (hey Gary, is that dead horse out of the barn yet?), I'd like to thank Ed and Jim (and all the mods) for their fine work over the years, and echo Harri's best wishes in your future endeavors.
    "You can play a shoestring if you're sincere." - John Coltrane

"If you can't play in time and in tune the rest doesn't matter." - Keith Ridenhour

Just to add my personal thanks to: drakesaxprof, kcp, Bill Mecca, saxismyaxe, ”Chris S.”, Hurling Frootmig and Gandalfe.

Good luck to Hurling and Gandalfe, you'll be missed.

A HAPPY, BLESSED AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL!
    "Golf is like the sax in a way _ it's an instrument that requires practice. If I want to practice my sax and get better, I just do it. Same with golf. You just make the time for it _ and you know you're never going to master it." (Kenny G)

Quote Originally Posted by fballatore
    Before this thread gets too derailed (hey Gary, is that dead horse out of the barn yet.
    You mean this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Default Careful articulation requested

If you've got one of those hors and got a camera,
    I'm totally serious.
    As you all well-educated people do know, Finland has two official languages because we have also a Swedish speaking minority.
    A few years ago I was playing in a prominently Swedish community band: Lappböle Horn Kapell. (It was easy because the sheet music is the same in any language.) But you have to be very careful to pronounce the "n". Otherwise it is the same in Swedish what Pete wrote "of those hors and cameras".

Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2008 Hurling Frootmig's Avatar

Before this thread gets too derailed (hey Gary, is that dead horse out of the barn yet?), I'd like to thank Ed and Jim (and all the mods) for their fine work over the years, and echo Harri's best wishes in your future endeavors.
    Thanks.
    "We'd all play like Stan (Getz) if we could" - John Coltrane

~~~~~~~~
    The Woodwind Forum

Forum Contributor 2010
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Hurling! We hardly knew ye!

Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist
    Forum Contributor 2010

Hey, we're still in this sandbox too. We just have different roles now. I do find myself using the 'exclaimation mark' a lot when I find a post in the wrong forum, but that's a lot easier than moving it myself.
    "I played the wrong, wrong notes." - Thelonious Monk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns ~ Woodwind Forums ~ The Bis Key Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Harri Rautiainen
    As you all well-educated people do know, Finland has two official languages because we have also a Swedish speaking minority.
    A few years ago I was playing in a prominently Swedish community band: Lappböle Horn Kapell. (It was easy because the sheet music is the same in any language.) But you have to be very careful to pronounce the "n". Otherwise it is the same in Swedish what Pete wrote "of those hors and cameras".
    Y'know, amusingly enough, I do type most of my stuff in Firefox. Firefox has a built-in spellchecker. Which has had problems with vBulletin -- what SOTW runs on -- for some time, now.

Anyhow, I was initially unintentionally amunsing. That's fine. I try to be intentionally amusing and that only works 50% of the time. "Unintentionally" has a MUCH higher success rate.

Considering I don't include people in my calendars, unless they're engraved on saxophones, assume I meant "horns". (Might be a very interesting saxophone, otherwise.)

My apologies. I write English like a second language.

I also don't mind animated avatars. I just block 'em with Firefox.

On another subject, Harri. I got an e-mail just yesterday from one of your countrymen with a last name that ended with "-ainen". Is that ending anything like the "-ston" or "-son" endings in English languages?
    Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my new blog and gallery! Latest article: 09/24/12.

Default Beware people!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfe
    Hey, we're still in this sandbox too. We just have different roles now. I do find myself using the 'exclaimation mark' a lot when I find a post in the wrong forum, but that's a lot easier than moving it myself.
    That's how tattletalers are born... Ex-mods! - IMO they're worst than wannabe-mods
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast