P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Nickel plated flute turning black - how to clean

Default Nickel plated flute turning black - how to clean

Hi,

I have an nickel plated flute that is turning black where my lip and fingers touch the flute.

I read through several of the how to polish nickel threads which seems to break out into arguments of: to polish or not to polish.

I am wondering why is the nickel tarnishing? Acid in my saliva/skin oil?

Has anyone else experienced this too?

So far I've just been wiping down the tarnished areas with a cloth but that isn't doing a very good job.

I thought nickel is supposed to be more resistant to tarnish (than silver) and at worst turn to a pale grey.

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by BobbyC; 12-23-2007 at 06:27 AM.
    Tank: "OK. So what do you need (besides a miracle)?"
    Neo: "Saxes. Lots of saxes."

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Really not a fix for that. You may use some metal polish in a tube but it will turn black again.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Memberb

A couple of thoughts. These may or may not help....but worth a try.

First, the micofiber polishing cloth that came with my DiMedici alto flute is the best thing I've found for cleaning silver or nickel plated instruments. If you can find a similar cloth and use it on your flute after you play it might help.

Second, I've also had good results with having a packet of Gleam -- one of Dr. Omar Henderson's (The Doctor) products -- in my flute cases. It's significantly better as a non-tarnish product than the chemical paper strips. If you do a Google search on Omar Henderson products you'll find his site. It's something like doctorsprod.

Good luck!

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Aldridge; 12-23-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    1936 G.H. Huller alto saxophone, Ralph Morgan 6C mouthpiece, #3 1/2 Legere Signature reeds, Theo Wanne ligature
    1969 Couesnon Monopole Bb clarinet, Walter Grabner K14 mouthpiece, #3 Legere (old) Quebec, Klassik string ligature
    Yamaha bass clarinet, Walter Grabner LB mouthpiece, #3 1/2 Legere standard tenor, Optimum ligature
    Yamaha flute, diMedici alto flute

Visit my website and listen to my originals: http://www.rogeraldridge.com