Sax on the Web Forum banner

Need info on this dolnet, pictures provided look inside =)

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mjs10 
#1 ·
I think this is a very early Dolnet. Still in good condition, the owner was born in 1962 and when he was very little, his grandpa has got this sax and swinging.
Now he wants to clean up his attics and thinking about selling this as he is not into antiques. I am thinking of buying it...
If you know any information on this sax ( i tried saxpics) please let me know...serious comments only please.

See less See more
#3 ·
well, dolnets are generally fairly good, but this one looks just old enough that:
1- intonation could be struggle,
2- keywork is basic, although it does have a front f and Bis key
3- it has uncomfortable issues like the button palm keys
4- the automatic octave key mechanism looks all wrong and prone to sticking.

#4 ·
Well, it is an early Dolnet, no dubts about that, and it is in remakable state, might be a HP horn, no way to tell even on late models, unless you have the precise measurements or test it with a tuner. My guess is 1906 or thereabouts.
Having said that....... it is an ancient horn of a not very valuable breed. Buy if very cheap and for the pleasure of owning something very old. Don't buy if you want a player......is my advise ;)

#5 ·
Doesn't look like it has an automatic octave mechanism.That might be tricky to play. Might make an interesting addition to a collection even if its not playable in an ensemble. Personally I like old/oddball horns. If you can play it beforehand you should be able to determine if its high pitch or not. It looks pretty typical of the french saxes of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.