Sax on the Web Forum banner

Vintage saxes in Ontario?

11K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Raccoon1400 
#1 ·
I will be in Ontario for a week visiting some relatives for Christmas, and I was just wondering if there are some vintage sax shops over there. I am mainly looking for Conns and Bueschers. Thanks.

#3 ·
This thread might not help. Ken Fornetran Woodwinds is no longer there, having moved out of the city. I don't know if he is operational yet either. In Toronto you could check out The Music Lab in the north end of the city, sometimes Long and McQuade has some nice ones (I bought a sweet BA Tenor from the location in Oshawa, east of Toronto). No real "vintage" stores in Toronto though.

#10 ·
zxcvbnm said:
I don't know much about Canada...is Toronto a part of Ontario? Are they two different cities? I have a friend that lives in Toronto, and his house is a 5 hour drive from where I'm going.
zxcvbnm said:
Oh...I think they're in Oshawa, but I'll have to check.
Oshawa is about an hour's drive from downtown Toronto in decent traffic.

There are few dealers in Toronto who bother with vintage Conn or Buescher instruments.

Check Gary Armstrong Woodwinds. They may have some vintage horns in on consignment. Don't bother with their website; it's hopelessly out of date. Phone them.

Long & McQuade's main store in Toronto (the one on Bloor St.) sometimes has vintage horns. Don't bother with the stores in the 'burbs. Phone Greg in the band department at the Toronto store.

As mentioned, Ken Fornetran has closed up shop.

Music Lab may have a couple of things; I haven't kept in touch with Gino for years.

Hope this helps.

#17 ·
Saxland said:
I don't know what is in Montreal for vintage saxophones.
These are basically the 2 places for vintage horns in Montreal;
http://www.boutiquedumusicien.com/
http://www.twigg-musique.com/english/stores.htm
The web sites aren't up to date, they have more horns that are not listed.

Saxland said:
Montreal sure is alot of fun, espicially on New Years :D
Montreal's reputation as a party town is persistent isn't it? I always thought that was a myth but then again I can't make a comparison, I've never been to Toronto.

#18 ·
Sebastian said:
oops, hehe. It's changed since I was in high school.
Don't worry. It's changed since I was in High School, too. I actually looked at a map a few weeks ago because of the fact that I had no idea where Nunavut starts and the Northwest Territories finish.

#20 ·
If you can live with the terrible attitude of the personnel, Boutique du Musicien is likely to have more realistic prices than Twigg. Problem for you is that very likely they won't even bother saying a single word in other than french.

Twigg has much more friendly personnel and english is no problem there. But their vintage prices are out of this world. I kept on telling them but they just don't hear. On top of that, none of them is in good adjustment. I tried 2 MKVI (priced between 6K and 7K...) and a S20 (5.5K) and they were all out of adjustment.

I live here and have owned maybe 15 vintage saxes: none of them was bought locally for good reasons...

#23 ·
Vintage .. repair? in Toronto?

Hi I do a few repairs on vintage/old horns in Toronto and I do have a few horns forsale and know of others too but my business is not open to the public for tryouts

Vasko had a shop on Queen st. called Vintage Saxophones but not sure where he is now. Yes Greg is the guy to talk with at Long&McQuade I saw a nice french tenor there a few weeks back.

Gino .. not sure where he is now?

Unfortunately Ken has moved and not sure if he has packed in his business too

Fraser

#24 ·
rispoli I go to twiggs often, most times I bring my own horn this time I couldn't, I play a great S20 and being a student I don't think they believed that I owned one, Luckily my father was coming down later in the day he brought my horn and you should of seen the look on his face playing that weak S20 compared to mine properly setup and adjusted. Do you have a vintage horn? Do they offer to trade you? they offered me a Selmer ref 54, and through dealing with them it looks like I might be getting the 54 3 extra selmer necks and a possible sop piece.

They don't know their prices very well. Great selection though.

stefane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.