Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default 2 questions Martin Busine history and I need a good rpr. man

ok, does anyone know the history of a Martin Busine horn. I have been to all of the top Martin sites, and they mention all the other models but not the Martin Busine. I have a Tenor and matching Alto (same engravings) circa 1930?
    Question 2: Does anyone know of a Very good repairman in Southern California, Orange County specifically. I have taken my alto to the 2 most visable shops here and been extremely dissappointed with the work dropped over 300. and I still hate to play it.....
    I long for the old days when a tech would stake his honor on his work,... Help!! Moffcom

They (I )don't mention the Busine because it's not a Martin.
    It's a Martin Busine. That's a French company and that's also all I know of it.

Good luck finding any info.
    And keep us posted.

There has been some discussion on Martin Busine instruments, here. Check back through the postings: http://saxontheweb.myforums.net/view...ghlight=busine

My first sax (circa 1970) was a Martin Busine alto. At that time, hey were student-level saxes. I didn't realize they went back to 1930, though, so perhaps the company had a longer history. I would be curious to see pictures of your horns.

Default martin busine sax sorry for the delay..

wEll, after reading all of the excellent info that you guys directed me to, I'm glad I have my M.B. tenor and alto. I mentioned that I thought they were made in the 1920's because I would go to the Martin web site and try to match my serial #'s and kept coming up with those approximate dates, but now realize "they ain't Martin's" There were a few people in other posts who owned them as well and both implyed their horns were made in the 60's or 70's... That's probabaly the case with mine. but I have now way of knowing.. anyway, I'll get some pics of them posted up here soon and maybe they will prompt some more help..... I'm still in search of a good repairman in So. Cal if you know of any, take care Robert

Default Re: 2 questions Martin Busine history and I need a good rpr. man

I own a Martin Busine as well # 16245. I know nothing about it but it is in fairly good condition, from a layperson's perspective. I don't play, but I love music. I inherited it, so to speak. Not sure what to do with it besides hang it on display. I live in Orange County, Cal, also.
    elizabeth

Distinguished SOTW Member.

I believe all Martin Busines were stencil horns, possibly made in Italy that were available through mail order and catalog sales. I've heard even Sears carried them for a short time.

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Here's someone trying to sell one on Ebay calling it a Grassi, which sounds right to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-Busine-Gr...efaultDomain_0

I had one on the late 70s to mid 80s. Used it for marching band for 3 years. Used it in an Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and Macy's Day parade during high school. I remember nervously gripping it tightly after the Macy's Day parade when I realized I was standing next to Linda Ronstadt after the parade, lol. Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool, better then having a Bundy but of course its not a Selmer or Yamaha. I even was first chair my senior year in H.S.. Sold it in the mid 80s in Sarasota. The guy that bought it was going to refurb it for his grand kid, the pads were dried out.

Mine was just like the one in the eBay listing, case and all. Think I sold it for like $75 in 1986 or so. I think the guy thought he was getting a sax made by Martin, as most did I showed it to back then.

Forum Contributor 2008 DetroitDave's Avatar

Martin Busine was a stencil brand made in Italy by Ida Maria Grassi. The serial numbers are Grassi numbers. See the Ida Maria Grassi saxophone group here on SOTW for lots more information.
    _____

See Bob Scarff at sam ash in ontario Ca. He is HONEST, and will fix your horn right the first time. (909) 484-3550
    www.AdolpheSax-Cie.com North / South America / Canada
    www.AdolpheSax.be Intl HQ
    www.lcsax.us North / South America / Canada

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar

I owned a tenor briefly, not a horn I would spend a penny on..lifeless tone and terrible "action". I also had a Grassi Sop for a minute. Felt very flimsy and also very bland voice. I would never dis anybody's axe but sometimes ya gotta be warned..

I hate to be the "nay sayer" but I kind of agree with Cash. I've never had one, but from what I've read, maybe it's not the tech......