P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JW York and Sons

Default JW York and Sons

I have owned my JW Alto for 6 months and I haven't found any information about it. From the research I have privately done, I believe my horn is a Martin Troubadour stencil. Other than that, I have no other information. I would appreciate it if anybody could help me out.

Also, What would be the asking price be on one of these? I have had it completely overhauled; New pads, New Corks, Cleaned, Bathed...all that jazz. On ebay they show up occasionally but are always in terrible condition and are sold "as is" and whatnot. What would be the asking price of one in good condition (in comparison to the others I've seen)? I will try to post pictures soon.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI
    Otto Link 7 w/Vandoren ZZ 3's

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dylanroebuck
    From the research I have privately done, I believe my horn is a Martin Troubadour stencil.
    If that's the case, it will have beveled tone holes and only two right hand side palm keys. Is it silver or lacquered? Silver would be more desired, but stencil altos rarely go for more than a couple hundred bucks on Ebay; and the Troubadour, with its confusing side key issues, isn't really that sought after.

Distinguished SOTW Member Seasax's Avatar

grumps, i think it's the horn in his avatar, so yes it is silver plated
    Conn "27 Chu
    ---- zinner adjustatone mpc,

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Yourk was mainly a brass instrument maker and usually bought their saxes. Most I have seen are Bueschers. I have never seen a Troubadour stencil. There are sites about York on the internet.

Distinguished SOTW Member Carl H.'s Avatar

I don't think there is any Martin in that horn.

What does the extra right hand key do?
    So far, this is the oldest I've been.

G# trill key. I have no idea why. G# is pretty easy to trill on. There's no x key either.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI

For really fast trills. I used mine today for playing along with "Captain Fingers" by Lee Ritenour. But I was not trilling. Try going from "G#" to "G" to "F#" without a G# articulation key, or a trill key, repeatedly. Oh and try it without the trill key, or with the g# articulation bars. But try it really, really, fast. Does it sound good?... Nope? Thought so.
    Last edited by ChuBerry47; 12-02-2007 at 12:53 AM.

Sorry I offended you.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI

G# trill key. I have no idea why. G# is pretty easy to trill on. There's no x key either.
    So what does the 5th pearl do?

I must confess that I've never seen a sax with seperate tone hole chimneys soldered on via a large, external flange in the the manner of your York. Certainly NOT a Martin (Troubadour or otherwise). The presence of the three Rt. Hand side palm keys negates this as a Troubadour stencil right aways as well.

Anyone care to speculate on which maker ACTUALLY stenciled this horn?
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Oh, that one. I have no idea. If I'm playing a d, and press it down, it goes to a D#. Weird that they would be that there if theres another way to get a d# right next to it.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

I believe early Yorks were made in Grand Rapids by... York. Until about 1920, from what I've read. Then they started stenciling other manufacturer's horns. This looks to be one of their early ones.

Oh, that one. I have no idea. If I'm playing a d, and press it down, it goes to a D#. Weird that they would be that there if theres another way to get a d# right next to it.

Sorry, I did not mean to sound harsh ealier.

I am sure that you are all familiar with the alternate Eb key on most vintage saxes. I believe that it is more than likely a use for that, but not with the d-no f# key-f natural key fingereing. I think you would use your pinky, and press the F natural key to get out the Eb. Seems plausible. I could not find any info on the internet on this, but I will bet you $50 to a donut that it probably what that is, even though, I don't know what that saying means.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

Dylan and ChuBerry, I don't know what the G# trill key does on this horn.

But when I played Van Morrison's "And It Stoned Me" in its original key on the alto sax, I really wish I had an easier way to get a fast trill between the G# and A. I don't have a tenor (which was used on the original); if I did I would have used it on this song so that I could have trilled between high C# and D instead.

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

How's the intonation of this York?

There's an old guy in my Community band that plays one. It isn't one of the better saxes I've heard.
    But this could be because the guy is 84 years old and can't hear himself. He wears 2 hearing aids but shuts them off because the rest of the band echoes in his head if he doesn't.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

The intonation is awesome. I've had my band director play it (sax player) and he said that the intonation is great.

On top of that.

I regret buying it. The tone isn't great. There is no X key. Also, on the RH palm keys, if you press down the alternate C fingering key, it presses down the Bb side key if you press down to hard, resulting in a very flat C. I feel I should have saved up for a more well know and better playing sax. I bought it when I was less educated in the way of the sax.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI

What is an "X" key?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast