Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar

Default Selmer SA-80 or B&S CJS? Which to keep?

I have a Selmer Super Action 80 Series 1 and a B&S Chicago Jazz Series. Both horns play great. The B&S has a phatter, darker, heavier sound and the Selmer has a more focused, louder sound, probably a little more versatile, but it's doesn't have that HUGE thing that the B&S has.

To me, I like them each as much. But I need to sell one of them.

I'm reluctant to sell on ebay, so I will probably sell the one on here.

The Selmer would come without a mouthpiece, but the B&S would come with an original silver plated B&S piece.

Both are tenors.

For the SOTW that would like to see one of these go up for sale, please voice your opinion to help me. I'm not quite ready to sell, so please don't make any offers quiet yet.
    Last edited by Turnaround; 11-25-2007 at 04:59 PM.

If it were me, I'd keep the B&S.

You should get a better return on the Selmer and as you say, you like them equally but the extra money for the Selmer will come in handy somewhere else.

The B&S is a prettier horn too . It's always nice to have pretty things kicking around, and you can do much with a phatter, darker, heavier sound
    MMM, srcsax, baritone. Honest & decent sellers. All more than worthy of an endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    If it were me, I'd keep the B&S.

You should get a better return on the Selmer and as you say, you like them equally but the extra money for the Selmer will come in handy somewhere else.

The B&S is a prettier horn too . It's always nice to have pretty things kicking around, and you can do much with a phatter, darker, heavier sound
    i´d say the same...

-

I second the B&S. Ditch the Selmer.
    Over the Rainbow (my YouTube debut), The Star-Spangled Banner, Tennessee Waltz, Fields of Gold

A horn is only as good as the person playing it. -- BJK

Default I say keep the Selmer....

I'll forward a mailing address for the B&S.
    "There are two types of people in this world: people who group folks into categories, and people who don't."

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

What kind of music are you playing primarily and in what venue? In other words, if you're playing classical in a university setting, keep the Selmer. Otherwise, keep the CJ. Sounds like you like that horn better anyway.

Default wow, favoring the underdog.

This is not the response I was expecting at all. With all the Selmer fans on here, I was sure it would have swung the other way.

Actually, the B&S is unlacquered and the Selmer is lacquered, so the Selmer is "prettier", but the B&S is huskier looking, but I'm not swayed by the looks.

As far as what I play, definitely not college classical ensembles. Funk, rock and latin gigs... Volume! But they both do the job. The Selmer just cuts through a little better when the sound is not so good. Might have been the situation.

Now I'm really surprised that B&S horns sell for as little as they do.

I really was relying on your opinions. I was actually leaning towards the Selmer, just because of the name, but now I may have a little extra money for Xmas.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

If you ever regret your decision, I suspect it would be easier to find a similar replacement Selmer than the B&S.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Upawholestep

This is not the response I was expecting at all. With all the Selmer fans on here, I was sure it would have swung the other way.

Actually, the B&S is unlacquered and the Selmer is lacquered, so the Selmer is "prettier", but the B&S is huskier looking, but I'm not swayed by the looks.

As far as what I play, definitely not college classical ensembles. Funk, rock and latin gigs... Volume! But they both do the job. The Selmer just cuts through a little better when the sound is not so good. Might have been the situation.

Now I'm really surprised that B&S horns sell for as little as they do.

I really was relying on your opinions. I was actually leaning towards the Selmer, just because of the name, but now I may have a little extra money for Xmas.
    Selmers tend to be slightly brighter than the B&S, which is why they cut better. Really, though, if you need to cut through, a mouthpiece will make a bigger difference than the horn.

Forum Contributor 2011 dstack79's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger Kramer
    i´d say the same...

-
    + 1
    Tenor: Guardala (B&S circa 1996)
    LT Guardala Crescent
    RSJ 3S/3M

Alto: Unison 2000
    Vandoren V16 A7M
    RSJ 3S/3M

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Keep the B&S sell the Selmer. At the volume level you are playing at a mic and amp will solve any shortcomings you perceive in the B&S.

You'll get more money for the Selmer probably and more of the important stuff from the B&S.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Quote Originally Posted by hgiles
    You'll get more money for the Selmer probably and more of the important stuff from the B&S.
    Well said.

B&S tenors are among the best ever made.
    Over the Rainbow (my YouTube debut), The Star-Spangled Banner, Tennessee Waltz, Fields of Gold

A horn is only as good as the person playing it. -- BJK

Forum Contributor 2013

Please shoot me a PM when you post the Selmer for sale - thanks. I might be interested.

Forum Contributor 2014 bbbouklas's Avatar

if you decide to sell the b&s please let me know..

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by brasscane
    Please shoot me a PM when you post the Selmer for sale - thanks. I might be interested.
    Goin for a collection of SA-80's are we?

Upawholestep, try swapping the neck on the Selmer before you make your decision. Necks that are favorable for the Super Action 80 are later Mark VI, Mark VII, Series III, P. Mauriats, and Olegs. I've been using a series III for a while now and it really cuts down the resistance and makes the horn come to life. There was a recent discussion about this here

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=69591

I think it was Sessionsax who really brought up the neck swap on the SA-80 months ago. He raved about the series III neck with the I horn and his posts sold me on the idea. This combination does work really well. Just some food for thought.

Hi Upawholestep,

Were all here loud an clear :-) and it seems we've been telling you to sell it so we can get it from you.

Wanting to know which horn to keep over the two, and which horn to sell for extra cash are two drastically differant views.

It seems like your still interested in playing, so I second SuperAction80 in that the selmer gives you more. Not only in value, but options to change and adjust the tone of the horn from the large variety of available necks for it.

J.Max is dead on too. My SA80 I with a Dukoff D7 piece easily fills a room. You may just want to try some pieces on those horns before you decide.

Also I believe the selmer to be a brighter horn then that B&S horn. But I can only go by my ear as I have never played that horn. You did say you play funk and latin gigs. While I could admire a deep rich sounding salsa tenor, I would stay with the selmer for the funk and rock. So, which do you like better, or have more gigs for? Even though you could get more money for the selmer, if you have more funk gigs than you could be very unhappy in the long run.

Selmer fan in me says: "Keep the Selmer".

Peace Always,

SneekyJ

Hi Upawholestep,

Were all here loud an clear :-) and it seems we've been telling you to sell it so we can get it from you.

Wanting to know which horn to keep over the two, and which horn to sell for extra cash are two drastically differant views.

It seems like your still interested in playing, so I second SuperAction80 in that the selmer gives you more. Not only in value, but options to change and adjust the tone of the horn from the large variety of available necks for it.

J.Max is dead on too. My SA80 I with a Dukoff D7 piece easily fills a room. You may just want to try some pieces on those horns before you decide.

Also I believe the selmer to be a brighter horn then that B&S horn. But I can only go by my ear as I have never played that horn. You did say you play funk and latin gigs. While I could admire a deep rich sounding salsa tenor, I would stay with the selmer for the funk and rock. So, which do you like better, or have more gigs for? Even though you could get more money for the selmer, if you have more funk gigs than you could be very unhappy in the long run.

Selmer fan in me says: "Keep the Selmer".

Peace Always,

SneekyJ

Default Re: Selmer SA-80 or B&S CJS? Which to keep?

So I've finally worked it out. I'm keeping the Selmer. The B&S has been sold and I've found a Dukoff that is an absolute dream to play. I tried to like the B&S, but it didn't have the power that I needed.

Since I first posted this, I changed my screen name.

I have one more tenor to really work out (a Buffet SDA/S1, watch out), but the Selmer SA80 Series I definitely outdid the B&S for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SaxyAcoustician View Post
    Well said.

B&S tenors are among the best ever made.
    I know this is an old thread, but I"m curious as to why you highlighted tenors.
    I've got a B&S alto and it's amazing.
    PB Bare Brass Vintage Tenor - LAW Buzzer/ Morgan 8E
    Buescher Aristocrat Alto - Selmer Soloist-style .83

Quote Originally Posted by Twombles62 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I"m curious as to why you highlighted tenors.
    I've got a B&S alto and it's amazing.
    I think I've read that B&S tenors are more consistant along he line than the altos. Generally, the Medusa's are considered the best, but the CJS tenors are almost the same, whereas the altos are pretty different. I love my Allora, but I'm no expert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast