P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: A Thought...

Default A Thought...

I think the "French School" deserves it's own sub-forum if the Rascher school gets one!

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying." -Friedrich Nietzsche

In all honesty though, as inactive as the "Classical Saxophone" forum is, I don't see why we have to have a subforum in it.

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar

It seems pretty active lately...in any case, this comes from a suggestion from a member to have sub-forums where members could post ideas, experiences, stories--whatever--relating to particular schools of playing. It will probably wind up as Rascher, French, and American schools, which (though many boundaries are increasingly crossed), seems to most reflect reality, in the very broadest sense. The idea is not to be divisive, but simply to organize threads.

Other thoughts on this?
    JR
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and Rico artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Well, we could have a sub-forum just on Coltrane, another on Bird.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani
    Well, we could have a sub-forum just on Coltrane, another on Bird.
    Why stop there - lets have a sub-forum for each of 'Tranes periods - his stuff with Miles, his pre-Miles work, his rapid finger-wigglin period etc.......
    "People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing"
    Florence Foster Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by Mark5047
    Why stop there - lets have a sub-forum for each of 'Tranes periods - his stuff with Miles, his pre-Miles work, his rapid finger-wigglin period etc.......
    Point(s) well taken, as any attempt to categorize/organize is inherently fraught with challenges.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and Rico artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

What perpose will dividing these three sub groups serve? Is this really necessary? It seems that this will only encourage separatism among the schools for an instrument that isn't really common in the classical genre to begin with. I honestly think schools of playing only live on in fourms and that in the real world, it is not as big an issue as we think it is.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    What perpose will dividing these three sub groups serve? Is this really necessary? It seems that this will only encourage separatism among the schools for an instrument that isn't really common in the classical genre to begin with. I honestly think schools of playing only live on in fourms and that in the real world, it is not as big an issue as we think it is.

I don't know about that...I did a paper on them way back in 1994. Talking about schools of playing is always a controversial subject, and they are difficult to codify. I think that this is a valid way to organize the threads, but I think we should be careful to keep the discussions in them to discussing historical and/or performance practice matters.

In my opinion, I don't think these sub-forums will do anything to benefit the "Classical Saxophone" forum.

(No offense to the mod who made these)

This was done in response to a member suggestion. If it proves problematic or divisive, then we'll axe it. The idea is that topics pertaining directly to pedagogical, historical, or musical matters as relates to a particular "school" of playing will have a sensible place to reside. No one has to post in any of these if they don't care to, nor does anyone have to read the posts. I agree that the common ground between schools is constantly evolving, which is itself more compelling to me than the differences.
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLight
    In all honesty though, as inactive as the "Classical Saxophone" forum is, I don't see why we have to have a subforum in it.
    Actually, it needs expanding to include the Pittel classical forum, the English Classical forum, the Smurph classical forum, and one for the growing school of the Cobra-Kai theory of classical saxophone performance. Mercy afterall, is for the weak.

...Oh, and we probably need another place just for classical equipment issues, just in case!!

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JfW
    Actually, it needs expanding to include the Pittel classical forum, the English Classical forum, the Smurph classical forum, and one for the growing school of the Cobra-Kai theory of classical saxophone performance. Mercy afterall, is for the weak.

...Oh, and we probably need another place just for classical equipment issues, just in case!!

The Cobra-Kai school and the Pittel school are one in the same.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max
    The Cobra-Kai school and the Pittel school are one in the same.

Sweep the reed Johnny...