P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Holton Saxophone; Serial number registry

Default Re: Holton Saxophone; Serial number registry

Really? I was under the impression that the regulars in this thread would have considerably more.
    Anyway, I didn't really set out to "collect" Holtons. Most of them were just horns I came across over the years, and they were interesting and the prices seemed right so I picked them up. A couple of the tenors I actually bought mainly for the mouthpieces that came with them. The only model I kind of actively looked for was a Wiedoeft, and as you can see, I have not yet succeeded in finding an actual Wiedoeft in playing condition (the post-Wiedoeft alto, however, I found to be a surprisingly good player). I've never run across one locally, and on the few occasions when I bid on one online that I liked I got outbid. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I'd find one, but so far it hasn't been a major priority for me.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holton geauxsax's Avatar

What--no comments at all about the **Real** Holton 'Nino on ebay??? I thought for sure someone would say something now that the auction ended.

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzbug1's Avatar

I found it interesting- It's true that only Holton used rod screws of a particular kind and the seller seemed familiar with them. I think Eb ninos were only made in the early to mid 20s as a novelty instrument. It seems odd that in the depths of the depression, Holton would even waste production time on one. Perhaps a Holton engineer built a one -off model for their own use or a wealthy customer. The serial # is early 1930s. I know Conn and Buescher made them. I thought about bidding, but why pay $1700.00 for a horn that would be rarely used. My 1950 Studebaker cost $1700.00 new and I have put it to good use, as I started driving at 3 years old.
    jazzbug1
    Holton CSop,Rudy Bbsop,Rudy alto, RudyC mel, Holton C mel"Frankie Trumbauer Model",Rudy tenor,Mod.214tenor,Holton triple octave bari,Conn bass, A,Bb,C,EbBuffet Albert clarinets

OK--here it is (ebay write up first, then pics): This was sold by Saxquest via ebay on 22 NOV, drew 21 bids, and sold for $1695.70.

This is an extremely rare Holton silver Eb prototype sopranino saxophone with Selmer hard case, serial number 112328. This sax dates to 1932. Although there is no name stamped on the bell we know it is indeed a Holton instrument from the key mechanisms and pivot screws. Holton pivot screws were unique from C.G. Conn, Buescher, Martin and King and easily recognized by those with experience repairing vintage saxophones. The body is in good physical shape and shows no evidence of ever receiving major dent work in the past. The silver plate is ORIGINAL and in in excellent condition. All of the keys, rods and rails are intact and in good condition. Its body construction features tone holes that are slightly flared.

The Holton is being sold in "as is" condition and has not gone through our shop. It has been play tested and is playing down to a low Bb. The pads appear to be a few years old and have plenty of life left in them.

What a truly rare and exciting item. Saxquest sees a lot of horns come through our store and we can confidently say this is the only Holton sopranino we have ever seen. We also have several Holton catalogs and other publications dating to the mid 1930's and no where can we find mention of a sopranino saxophone. Their main saxophone line at the time was called the Revelation. Don’t let this rare treasure pass you by!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Absolutely fabulous and completely rare!

As to the early 1930s serial number: instruments are usually made in batches. It's more economical to make a set of instruments than just making one. You save on labor, materials and time. So it is possible that Holton made say, six of these in the 1920s but did not sell all of them to dealers. This one was sitting unsold on a shelf and when it was finally sold in the 1930s. At that time, the serial number was hammered into the body. Just a theory, but I've seen sort of thing that happen in guitar manufacturing.

Holton Revelation Serial Number 40613:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260901828074...84.m1439.l2649

Unless I've missed something, that's the highest SN before the jump to 100K seen so far.

Content Expert/Distinguished SOTW Member LaPorte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saxophender View Post
    Holton Revelation Serial Number 40613:
    Unless I've missed something, that's the highest SN before the jump to 100K seen so far.
    ... and a previously unknown Couturier based 'Revelation' alto. The other I know of is a baritone. Interesting find.
    Couturier straight soprano > Claude Lakey 7* > Vandoren java / marca jazz 2.0
    Couturier alto > Jody Jazz esp 8 > m.a.r.c.a. jazz 2.0
    Couturier tenor> Jody Jazz esp 7* > m.a.r.c.a jazz 2.5

"Why would I play on an ordinary, modern horn if it doesn't bring any special character to the music?" Al Mc Lean

Do you have any additional information regarding this model you could share? I'd be very interested to know more about it. Is it the same as the Collegiate I with just a different name on it, or are there other differences?

Forum Contributor 2011 Steve Stockham's Avatar

I'll add one more to the registry. It's an alto, matte silver finish shiny silver keywork, original mouthpiece w/2-screw ligature and cap silver plate. The serial number is 32243 and all the numbers stamped on the underside of the keywork is 2243. It has the C< D trill key as well as that other funky key near low C. It is a split bell with polished front that says Frank Holton and Elkhorn, WI. Under the ser.# is LP. The horn has been in my family since 1931 (that's the date my grandfather played it in the municipal band) and both my mother and I began sax on it. My son has a Keilwerth EX90 so the Holton stayed put until this last Wednesday when I pulled it out and disassembled it for a good cleaning and polishing. About half of the pads were completely ruined and the other half were needing replacement. The cork was either falling off or disintegrating. There's a lot of sentimentality associated with that sax so I decided to take it down to my tech to give it a thorough going over. I honestly don't have a clue how it will play but I do know that I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Steve,
    I'd be interested in your take on the horn after your tech gets it done, along with things like what mouthpiece suits you best on it, etc.

Forum Contributor 2011 Steve Stockham's Avatar

I think that he wants my impression of how the sax plays with a modern mouthpiece which is exactly what I plan to try! The original mouthpiece gives an extremely muffled sound (much like a C-Melody mpc!) whereas a Rico 4C brightens and projects the tone tremendously! I have no idea what the ideal arrangement will be but I have six different mouthpieces including a Selmer S80 C* to try out on it. I should be getting it back before Christmas though so we'll see!

Content Expert/Distinguished SOTW Member LaPorte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saxophender View Post
    ... Is it the same as the Collegiate I with just a different name on it, or are there other differences?
    I didn't know the existence of this 'Revelation' alto yet. What I understand from the given photos is that this model corresponds approximately the 'Collegiate I' except the pinky cluster. Interestingly enough that Holton

1. appreciated value to a technically timeworn saxophone (no front F) - designed by his friend Couturier about ten years earlier - by calling it 'Revelation' which was Holton's first line.

2. returned to the (better) L & H Artist model I design instead of Artist model II model which was denoted by the often discussed L-shaped C#/G# key table.
    Couturier straight soprano > Claude Lakey 7* > Vandoren java / marca jazz 2.0
    Couturier alto > Jody Jazz esp 8 > m.a.r.c.a. jazz 2.0
    Couturier tenor> Jody Jazz esp 7* > m.a.r.c.a jazz 2.5

"Why would I play on an ordinary, modern horn if it doesn't bring any special character to the music?" Al Mc Lean

Hello, I am new but I kinda want to skip over the introduction for the moment being.
    The only saxophone I own is a Mid-90's Selmer Alto, so it is nothing special.

What I really want to share is this Holton Tenor Sax that has caught my interest.

It is a Frank Holton & Co. Serial # C 15435 L P. I cannot tell what the keys are in the pictures provided on Craigslist (Where the Tenor is being sold). It looks in decent condition and is the silver plating is original. Comes with the original case as well! When I find out more about it, I will let Ya'll know

Sorry for the double post!
    Last edited by MattyP90; 01-20-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Double post

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Yes, except that is not a tenor sax. it is a C-melody sax. You can learn more about C-melody saxes here:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdi...ontralto-Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by eldavo View Post
    Another Holton added, this time a Wiedoeft Alto - including the banner and the extra vent key.

I believe the serial is 33791 (though it is a little hard to read.) Been sitting for a while and has a bent octave lever.

Cheers,

Dave
    Here are the images below. I'm learning sax servicing on the C Melody, the Sop plays, and I'll probably service the Rudy alto once I have conquered the C mel.

C Melody

Rudy Alto 1
    Rudy Alto 2 and cat
    Rudy 3
    Rudy 4

Soprano

Cheers,

Dave

Forum Contributor 2011 Uwe Steinmetz's Avatar

..another one to add, Rudy Wiedoeft C- Soprano, ser. 28908 - so I guess 1927?
    www.steinmetzmusik.com / www.crescendo-jazz.org

"Let´s not worship the ashes but carry on the flame."

Rudy C Sop? Nice!

Default Rudy Wiedoeft Model C-Soprano

some pics for all Holton fans!
    Attached Images Attached Images

one more!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast