P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Holton Saxophone; Serial number registry

Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holton geauxsax's Avatar

Default Re: Holton Saxophone; Serial number registry

Anyone have any idea where a Holton "Revelation", sn 117XXX falls out in the whole scheme of Holtons? Not a Collegiate, not one on the 240 series, later than Rudy's, later than (at least my) Elkhorn. It actually looks a lot like my Elkhorn just from the pic anyway. Same neck, same octave key. I'll be honest, all the Holton body tubes look the same to me too. I personally haven't noticed any large bell/small bell differences througout the range. Any info welcome.
    revelation1.jpg

revelation2.jpg

I just finally got re-padded a Silver Holton Rudy Eb alto serial #368XX that has been sitting around for years waiting (begging?) for attention. I've been playing an old Silver Conn C-melody for years so I knew I was likely to enjoy this horn (barely playable).

Well worth the fix. I think these horns are under rated. Sweet tone, and certainly plays circles around my student model Leblanc "Vito" from my high school days in the 70's.

P.S. this is my first post but have "lurked" many a time. Thanks for the valuable info. and service you provide!

Cheers, Billy
    Last edited by billymiller; 05-23-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: forgot to list key!

All right, Billy--good to hear from you. The Rudy alto sounds great. You know we want some pics now!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

The Rudy horns really are a great horn. I just discover the Holtons this year and picked up 5, 4 altos and a C soprano. Yours is only a few hundred away for my silver one. I decided to keep 2 of the gold plated ones and sell a gold plated and silver plated one on ebay soon. They seem to play like a Conn with Martin keywork. Decent intonation and some nice extra keys.

5? Was this an all in one batch deal?... A C soprano... you dog!!! I want it. I'm uploading photos of the Eb right now, coming soon. Can you still find C sop. reeds now? or will you just use it with a Bb mouthpiece?

Horton pride indeed geauxsax.

this is a test... more coming.

It worked... O.K. Here's more... (you can click on the image for a larger view)

Here are the extra keys, a G to G# trill and from what I gather from playing it, a high D to D# trill.

This is the "button" G# key. Probably the only thing I'm having difficulty with about this horn right now but I will get used to it.

Here's a photo of the Conn C-melody with the Holton Rudy Eb, (the C is a bit jealous now but I can tell they secretly like each other!). As you can see, they are just about the same height, but the C has a longer bell and neck. I'm using an old Brilhart 3* mouthpiece that seems to work great with it.

Here's the Rudy logo for those looking for it... from what I've heard tho' I think he actually prefered Conns and Selmers. I'm thinking this must be from around 1928 from the thread. It sounds very warm. I've been playing mostly with an acoustic swing and blues group lately and the sound fits right in. Been jamming to an old Louie Jordan record with it all day. Fun!

Again, thanks for the info. You guys rock.
    Last edited by billymiller; 05-31-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by billymiller View Post
    Here's the Rudy logo for those looking for it... from what I've heard tho' I think he actually prefered Conns and Selmers.
    Yeah, but Frankie Trumbauer played Holton his whole career.
    Life is too short for long tones

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I got the C soprano here on SOTW. The Altos came from ebay or customers who had them. I am so far behind that I am selling the Rudys and one of the gold regular Holtons. I had this idea of each model of each brand in each finish but it got out of hand!

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Yeah, but Frankie Trumbauer played Holton his whole career.
    I'm really enjoying this horn. It has a very similar sound and feel as the Conn. Thanks for the turn on to Frankie, I found a site that broadcasts Real Audio streams here http://www.redhotjazz.com/fto.html that you guys probably know about already. I had heard a little of Bix, but didn't know anything about "Tram". Or that he was who I may have been hearing. Very Cool.

Bruce, sounds like you did get a little carried away! You are gonna enjoy those horns. the C sop. sounds like a blast. I play trad. Irish on D wooden flutes as well, and that sop. would play most celtic keys (D, Em, G, Am) easily. Probably give you a klezmer/Irish weird crossover sound to try Celtic tunes with it, but it would be in key with the same fingering!

Cheers

I can't afford it now, but give me a ring if you ever decide to unload the C sop. Bruce.
    billymiller at swva dot net.

Hi all.

1947 alto 232. serial No. 173XXX, original case and Holton mouthpiece.

The history of this one is it was bought for me by my parents for $50.00 in the mid sixties about a year after I started high school. The pads were a bit shot I think and I eventually broke a spring or two but not before it had been carted on a few camping trips into the blue mountains of NSW. It was borrowed by a 'friend' who hung it on a wall for a bit and then it sat in a cupboard until 2005 when I decided at the age of 52 to play the sax again and had it repadded. It's been three years of fun and I've just popped it in for a service.

What can I say as a 'very' amateur musician. It plays well, intonation spot on, big sound, more like a tenor in some respects, the action could be a little better especially coming down the octave from 'D' to 'C'. All in all a very nice instrument, particularly since I've owned it for around two thirds of its 60 years; and it's built like a tank!

If anyone is interested I'll post some pics when it is back from the service.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieO View Post
    Hi all.

1947 alto 232. serial No. 173XXX, original case and Holton mouthpiece.

The history of this one is it was bought for me by my parents for $50.00 in the mid sixties about a year after I started high school. The pads were a bit shot I think and I eventually broke a spring or two but not before it had been carted on a few camping trips into the blue mountains of NSW. It was borrowed by a 'friend' who hung it on a wall for a bit and then it sat in a cupboard until 2005 when I decided at the age of 52 to play the sax again and had it repadded. It's been three years of fun and I've just popped it in for a service.

What can I say as a 'very' amateur musician. It plays well, intonation spot on, big sound, more like a tenor in some respects, the action could be a little better especially coming down the octave from 'D' to 'C'. All in all a very nice instrument, particularly since I've owned it for around two thirds of its 60 years; and it's built like a tank!

If anyone is interested I'll post some pics when it is back from the service.
    Definitely post some pics Bernie, and great to hear about your Holton!

Quote Originally Posted by geauxsax View Post
    Anyone have any idea where a Holton "Revelation", sn 117XXX falls out in the whole scheme of Holtons? Not a Collegiate, not one on the 240 series, later than Rudy's, later than (at least my) Elkhorn. It actually looks a lot like my Elkhorn just from the pic anyway. Same neck, same octave key. I'll be honest, all the Holton body tubes look the same to me too. I personally haven't noticed any large bell/small bell differences througout the range. Any info welcome.
    revelation1.jpg

revelation2.jpg

Hey geauxsax - did you ever find any information on this tenor ??, I noticed it is on Ebay now with a circa 1960 timeline, is that best guess or accurate info, it seems a mile away from the other dates for this serial number range I have been reading here (about mid-thirties for 118xxx).

If it's your horn on Ebay right now, I would appreciate as much information as you can give me regarding playing condition right now, I may well bid on it if I could get reliable info from a fellow SOTW member. Not much time left so I'm hoping you see this today/tonight.

Thanks
    Mike
    Altos: Conn 'Chu Berry', Martin Handcraft, Holton Professional, Buescher TT Alto Series IIa & IV, Selmer SA80 Alto Serie II
    Tenors: Yamaha YTS23, Vintage E&S, Amati

Mike,
    I never did find anything about this sax, and it isn't mine. I just saw it on ebay the last time it was up. It didn't sell for the opening bid (like $250 or so). I think it's a good price on an old American tenor. Heck--stencils sell for more than that. I also paid more than that for my much older Elkhorn, and love it. The Revelation looks a lot like my Elkhorn, but with updated ergos.

Back from the shop and good as new!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Distinguished SOTW Member. Wilbur Weltklang's Avatar

Well due to being impressed with my '37 Holton tenor, I've been seeking an alto version to use as a work-horse over the 5 digit Selmer VI I have.
    Finally scored this one for a knock-down $158.50. Stripped all the hardware off. Cleaned it up a bit and added a few corks here and there and Voila!! Plays beautifully and so similar to the VI it's incredible.

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by billymiller View Post
    Thanks for the turn on to Frankie… I had heard a little of Bix, but didn't know anything about "Tram". Or that he was who I may have been hearing.
    Not to get too far off-topic, but since this is my thread , i can tell you that there is a really good three-CD set of Tram. I bought volume 2 it's just great. His solos on the Holton C-mel are little gems and there's also some great bass sax playing by Adrian Rollini. Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Trumbaue...4697041&sr=1-9

Forum Contributor 2014

Cover photo of Vol 3:

hi, i'm new to the saxophone. I just inherited a saxophone and i wanted to know what year was it made and if it's good. It says HOLTON and the only s/n i could find was this 036679 and it says JAPAN below that. So if you guys could help me i'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast