Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Jupiter 769 vs Yamaha YAS23

How would you compare the Jupiter 769 alto to the Yamaha YAS 23 alto?
    Also, how would you compare the Jupiter 789 tenor to the Yamaha YTS 23 tenor?

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

I don't have any experience with the Jupiter 769 but I have here right now a Jupiter 767 alto saxophone which I assume is very similar (although it is not so new). I also have here right now a (also a little old) Yamaha YAS-23. Both are not in good condition now.

So far the YAS-23 looks like a very decent saxophone. The notes that play right now (nothing below D) sound very good. The build quality is pretty good but not as good as the professional models. I heard a common problem on student Yamahas is free play on some keys for for its age it is not bad at all on this one. I only played it very little so far (it is disassembled now) but I think the keys were very comfortable (have to check again).

The Jupiter 767 is also very good. The built quality is MUCH better than Jupiter's 5 series (which I checked just a few days ago). It is a night and day difference! This Jupiter 767 has an excellent sound and very responsive (suprisingly good on the low notes compared with its condition). Some features the Jupiter has which the YAS-23 doesn't are a high F# key and the mechanism that allows pressing the low C# lever while playing low B/Bb.

The Jupiter 767 (in good condition) is definitely an instrument I wouldn't mind playing. The YAS-23 I still can't know but I hope I will after it is ready. A friend of mine (excellent professional alto player, much better than me - I'm a clarinetist) tried the Jupiter 767 when it was in good condition and I remember he said it was excellent but he liked the sound of his Selmer SA80III better.

I hope this helps.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician hornfixer's Avatar

First I would run a leak light light down them and see if they have any leaks.
    Then I would play them with the same mouhpiece.
    I would be sure to play some whole tones and check them with a tuner.
    I would also check the alternate fingerings to see if the sound the same.
    I like to see how well it subtones also.
    I be sure to keep in mind how the action feals especially when I play fast.
    how would you compare the Jupiter 789 tenor to the Yamaha YTS 23 tenor?
    The same.

Thanks, Paul
    ** NEW ** MK VI Alto Saxophone Repad on DVD ** NEW **

http://www.ebay.com/itm/034-BIRDS-EY...-/121473126723?

Quote Originally Posted by zagzig
    The short answer is: The YAS 23 is more expensive.
    I've been using a Jupiter 769 since I started on sax. When I bought it brand new three years ago I had to pick between it and the YAS 23. The YAS 23 would have cost me at least a couple of hundred dollars more. I picked the 769 because it was the one my budget allowed. Haven't regretted the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzig
    Also, how would you compare the Jupiter 789 tenor to the Yamaha YTS 23 tenor?
    The last time I looked (last month) they were the same price at my local music store. I bought the YTS 23. (all things equal, if they were the same price I'd rather have one of the "big four" than a Taiwanese horn)
    "Golf is like the sax in a way _ it's an instrument that requires practice. If I want to practice my sax and get better, I just do it. Same with golf. You just make the time for it _ and you know you're never going to master it." (Kenny G)